Devil thorns or any for that matter

FirstV8

Saturday we did a good ride though some uncharted terrain ( virgin bush and very unused single track . ) . When washing my bike i noticed some small brown specks in the tyres . I picked them out with the point of my knife and found them to  be devil thorns . On complete removal the slush came gushing out so i knew that they were deep . I then rotated the hole to let the slush seal itself . I had about 3 or 4 that needed this procedure . On checking my wheels the next day they had lost a minimal amount of pressure so i was ok to pump again and ride . My question is do you pick the thorns out or do you leave them in to only come out when you ride . The thorns are still soft and growing how will it be in winter when these devils are lose of the bush and very dry . ? 

leave them in.  Normally the thorn with the sealant forms a nice plug and you shouldn't have any air loss...

If you leave them in just remember that it is then pointless carrying a tube as you will need to first remove all the thorns trail side before inserting the tube.

Mind you I have not carried a tube with me on a MTB for the past 5 or 6 years.

Consensus seems to leave them in .I dont carry a tube so will just plug if hole is too big . Thanks guys this one had me confused HAHA

leave em in. they help seal the hole they've made. if you've ever been stabbed, you'll know you only bleed properly after the blade is removed.

If, after a ride, I find the whole devil still attached, i cut it off leaving the spike in the tyre.

leave them in.  Normally the thorn with the sealant forms a nice plug and you shouldn't have any air loss...

Unless you ride in a place like I do. The big long thorns are porous and the slime does not cover the entire thorn. Sometime the visible thorn on the outside is so small, one might miss it with a casual observation, but inside it is bloody massive. These you have to remove.

You can test the tyre by putting 4 inches of water in the bath and checking for leaks, pump to 3 Bar first, Some punctures are stubborn and can spoil your next ride.

You can test the tyre by putting 4 inches of water in the bath and checking for leaks, pump to 3 Bar first, Some punctures are stubborn and can spoil your next ride.

What must us Cape Town guys do? ;)

I remove them. Used to leave them in till I had a slash in my tyre which required a tube, had to remove around 20 thorns trail side before I could use the tube - not fun. So now I just remove them every time I wash my bike. Plug the really big ones and let the smaller ones reseal themselves. I make sure my sealant is always topped up too.

I remove them. Used to leave them in till I had a slash in my tyre which required a tube, had to remove around 20 thorns trail side before I could use the tube - not fun. So now I just remove them every time I wash my bike. Plug the really big ones and let the smaller ones reseal themselves. I make sure my sealant is always topped up too.

Do the same here, Even more frustrating if it happens on race day.

And if you're in the Cape.......don't fill with 4 inches of water!! ;-)

During ride I leave them be, once finished I remove them. As mentioned by some if you do need to replace with tube while out riding you do not want to spend extra time removing thorns from previous rides. 

Archived