Plant Based.

Hey many can attest to it - I cook a mean steak - happy to, I chose not to eat it, I don't care if you do, in the same light don't give me **** about my choices, and I won't give you **** about your. Simple en klaar. 

Okay, easy, Uni. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. She made a personal choice and allows everyone else to make their own. She also doesn't judge people she knows nothing about.

She has no problem in buying me steak and braaing it with me, or having a vegetable meal whilst I have a T-bone at the Local Grill or Grillhouse.

Just because she made a choice does not imply evangelism.

It's just a joke in case you didn't notice, nothing aimed at the 2nd part of your post regarding your daughter.

Time for some controversy...

I believe humans are omnivores and cases like Unis are not uncommon.

If you do go vegetarian be careful to make sure your macros are right.

If you go vegan make really really really really sure you're getting everything your body needs.

Any diet that restricts choice (and the resulting reduction in the variety of chemicals that enter the body) can have some interesting and sometimes nasty effects on the body.

Agreed, 

The whole pro-vegan argument of human teeth proving that we aren't meant to eat meat is nonsense. Humans have been hunting for tens of thousands of years, we're pretty well adapted to eating meat, and I would argue that we are now dependent on it. 

Agreed, 

The whole pro-vegan argument of human teeth proving that we aren't meant to eat meat is nonsense. Humans have been hunting for tens of thousands of years, we're pretty well adapted to eating meat, and I would argue that we are now dependent on it. 

Support your argument with some peer-reviewed research, Stef. 

Agreed, 

Disclaimer: I'm an engineer so my thoughts on diet carry very little weight.

I don't think evolution happens that quickly - I don't think we are dependent on meat.

I do think that cutting meat out means you have to put some serious thought into planning meals that replicate meat's nutrition profile.

Pro/anti is the reall bullsh!t. There is no need to agree or disagree with veganism/vegetarianism (or anything else really). There is no need to be in one camp or the other.

My story: Since moving to Denmark I have begun enjoying meat less. Every now and then I "need" meat so I eat some. When I visit my mates in SA I eat a lot of meat and love it. My motivation is this - my constitution works way better on vegan/vegetarian food. I feel "lighter" and have more energy. Meat protein is pretty heavy and puts quite a demand on the digestive system. On a slightly less important note - killing animals is just not very nice. 

There is no right and wrong - there is also no need to be 100% anything. Being 15% vegan or 80% vegan or 100% vegetarian is fine.

Vegetarian for 24 years this year. No eggs but yes to dairy. I'm exactly 6 foot and weigh 96kgs. The lightest i've been over the last 10 years was 89kgs. 

My heaviest was 118kgs and that was four years ago. i'm busy trying to get back to 89kgs.

Loosing weight is about what you eat and how much you eat. I cut down my portion sizes and automatically i started to loose weight. Now i'm slowly cutting down on the potato, bread, pasta, sugar, sweets, coke, chocolates, ice cream, alcohol and other big carb items   - - ya i know - - it's all the bloody fun stuff that one has to cut out. 

because Friday  :devil:  :whistling:

While the jury's still out on whether vegetarians fart more often than omnivores, there is evidence that vegetarian farts may be among the least noxious. Or not as noxious as a meat-eater's farts, anyway.

The credit for smelly farts goes, in part, to meat that is consumed as part of an omnivore's diet. For the most part, meat contains high levels of sulfur, and sulfur-laden foods produce more odors as they are digested. When bacteria in the digestive system break down foods, it produces byproducts. When they breakdown foods rich in sulfur, the byproducts include sulfides and mercaptans, the gases that lend their unmistakable smell to farts. Hydrogen sulfide, in particular, causes passed gas to have an odor reminiscent of rotten eggs. The other gases produced during digestion — nitrogen, carbon dioxide, oxygen and methane — are virtually odorless [source: Levine].

By contrast, most vegetables produce fewer smelly byproducts during digestion, like hydrogen sulfide, than meat.

I wouldn't say we're dependent on meat, but we (as a species) have eaten it all along

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4163920/

That humans and their ancestors have been eating meat for quite a long time is indisputable. 

Does the current levels consumption of animal products contribute to optimal health? On my understanding of the available research, the answer is a resounding 'no'. 

That being said, the 'Standard Western Diet' is unimaginably far removed from the dietary habits of humans of ~1 million years ago. 

Loosing weight is about what you eat and how much you eat. I cut down my portion sizes and automatically i started to loose weight. Now i'm slowly cutting down on the potato, bread, pasta, sugar, sweets, coke, chocolates, ice cream, alcohol and other big carb items   - - ya i know - - it's all the bloody fun stuff that one has to cut out. 

And the exercise of course - it's all about the balance of energy in and energy expended.

A lot/most/some vegans/vegetarians lose weight after conversion because their protein intake drops - this kills muscle - great for the scale - terrible for cycling!

Personally I wish the world would stop using "weight" as the measure of fat - the mirror is a much better measure (in normal people with normal relationship with their body).

My fiance is heavy for a girl but looks great - she like the muscle and hits the gym often. I laugh because her BMI says she fat but she most definitely not.

Support your argument with some peer-reviewed research, Stef. 

how so?

Problem with any study is how it's interpreted, so we can literally go on forever citing articles to prove our point.

However, there is a strong correlation between premature pregnancies and plant based diets due to lack of Vit B12 (which is not found in plants) - something like >20% higher prevalence. There is also further speculation of Vit B12 on brain development of infants. 

Why do I use this as my argument. Well, pregnancy/reproduction is vital part of life, the cost of reproduction is also a measure of health.  

You remove modern medicine from the equation, and put humans in a situation where animal proteins are not available, and have them deal with premature pregnancies. Natural selection will not favour that group to thrive and carry it genes over to many generations. On the flip side, there might eventually evolve someone which is adapted again. Which is the beauty of it.

That humans and their ancestors have been eating meat for quite a long time is indisputable. 

Does the current levels consumption of animal products contribute to optimal health? On my understanding of the available research, the answer is a resounding 'no'. 

That being said, the 'Standard Western Diet' is unimaginably far removed from the dietary habits of humans of ~1 million years ago. 

I like this.

Before we needed to hunt for meat - meat consumption was semi regular and sometimes random.

Now we pop it into our shopping trollies and take it home. Boom.

The "modern" diet is littered with evils - too much sugar, colourants, preservatives, emulsifiers, fats, carbs etc. 

That said - the body is pretty good at handling all the crap we load it with.

My solution is to "keep an eye on it" and make decent food choices. Eat too healthy and you're miserable AF - eat too badly and your body suffers - finding the right balance is the key.

My mantra is "some food is good for the body and some food is good for the soul".

It's fairly simple, if you like meat, eat it. If you don't like it, don't eat it.

As an adult, there's really no need to explain to anyone why you like or dislike certain foods.

Edited by GrahamS2

It's fairly simple, if you like meat, eat it. If you don't like it, don't eat it.

As an adult, there's really no need to explain to anyone why you like or dislike certain foods.

Tribalism: a way of thinking or behaving in which people are loyal to their own tribe or social group.