Snakes on routes

FirstV8

In the last week our group has encountered 2 rinkhals snakes on our morning training . One was along the railway line going towards Bapsfontein and the other along the Serengeti fence next to the R21 . They were about one meter in length so fairly adult already . We ride in long grass and very wet sections with some riders falling because of others slowing down to quickly . My question is do any of the groups riding out in rural areas carry a snake bite kit and what would you do if a member is bitten out in the sticks ? 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get the person to hospital as soon as possible - that's your best and safest option.

Try and make an positive id on the snake. (Photo best)

We were loading up bags of parts outside at the factory where I work on Wednesday.....
There snuggled up in a corner was a moz cobra...

The only time I ever see the staff run like the wind is either Friday payday when we finish early...or if there is a snake!

Seen quite a few out on rides and hikes but, touch wood, never had any problems...

I believe the nearest place from me would be the military hospital in Pretoria for anti snake bite venom?

My SO attended a few snake handling courses and the advice given was:-

1. ID snake if possible

2. Keep person as calm as possible

3. If a spitting snake rinse off venom

4. If a bite don't try suck out the poison.

5. Get person to hospital asap

6. Sometimes snakes bite without releasing venom and sometimes they don't release a full dose.

Each snake needs a different antidote so:

1. Which antidote does one take?

2. What dose to apply?

3. Some people have an allergic reaction to antidotes. What then?

The biggest problem is always how fast you can get to medical help when you are deep into the mountains.

I have come across a Cape Cobra 3 times already. 1 small fella at Delvera, another small one on the Wannabee trails (ST across small dam wall between trees) and one huge one on the Helderberg Farm red trail (Highway 61). Also came across a Puffy on the Helderberg Farm red trail (Bikini Beach).

One needs to make sure you know your snakes and what to expect when each of them bite you. Best action is to ignore them when you are at speed on your bike, and to lift your feet if possible when you are going to pass real close.

Just get the person to hospital as soon as possible - that's your best and safest option.

Try and make an positive id on the snake. (Photo best)

Well unless he recently took one of your KOMs, then its a few comforting words, a good firm handshake, and if your were close maybe a pat of the back. Proceed to finish ride and enjoy your well earned coffee.

The biggest problem is always how fast you can get to medical help when you are deep into the mountains.

I have come across a Cape Cobra 3 times already. 1 small fella at Delvera, another small one on the Wannabee trails (ST across small dam wall between trees) and one huge one on the Helderberg Farm red trail (Highway 61). Also came across a Puffy on the Helderberg Farm red trail (Bikini Beach).

One needs to make sure you know your snakes and what to expect when each of them bite you. Best action is to ignore them when you are at speed on your bike, and to lift your feet if possible when you are going to pass real close.

We came across a massive anaconda sized geelsang on the wannabees trails a while back, we didnt even see it, we heard it coming for us on GRAVEL. 

In KZN there are lots of black mambas, I understand the anti venom must be refrigerated. Also if you are bitten you are going to need a lot of anti venom, i.e. more than 10 doses. So it isn't practical to ride with anti venom for mambas.

Wen to a snake expo a few years back, all the venomous snakes just lie there, except for the Mozambique cobra, wow that one was aggressive. Wouldn't like to find that in the bush.

In KZN there are lots of black mambas, I understand the anti venom must be refrigerated. Also if you are bitten you are going to need a lot of anti venom, i.e. more than 10 doses. So it isn't practical to ride with anti venom for mambas.

Wen to a snake expo a few years back, all the venomous snakes just lie there, except for the Mozambique cobra, wow that one was aggressive. Wouldn't like to find that in the bush.

Yes but they live around humans quite easily.We had a female around the garden which eventually gave birth but could never find it until I found it one day in the lounge.Had to kill it.Biggest I have seen.My legs were wet with the spray

Looking back I regret killing it and should have called someone to relocate it.

Keep your eyes open in the bush.