Snakes on routes

FirstV8

I was riding on the gravel road at Warmwaterbergspa when I came across the second berg adder in the road for the day (it was very late in the afternoon). I stopped to take a pic with my phone, and as I turned again to leave, I managed to have the wrong foot unclipped, lost my balance and fell backwards.

I nearly landed right on top of the little bugger...luckily it skrikked worse that I did and did a bolt for the bushes. Who knew adders are so quick.

It's worth noting that adders, and puffies specifically, are among the fastest striking venomous snakes. Don't let their lethargy fool you!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha, me too. But knowing Patches, I googled on my phone, and not on the work computer

Ja, that!

I unfortunately did not use my phone. Luckily, I was at my desk for once not being surrounded by all the other folks seated close to me, some of whom are ladies. Now, about the domain manager...

Friendly tip: Step away from the temptation to Google stuff mentioned on the Bikehub.

First thing to do is learn to identify a snake, as this will help massively if you do end up getting bitten.

Then, carrying antivenom is not really feasible, as it A) needs to be kept refrigerated, B) has a short shelf-life, C) you can absolutely not use cobra antivenom if you get struck by a puffy for instance. Rather immediately try tying a tourniquet above the bite, and get to medical help asap.

Quick question. Is using a tourniquet still recommended? I was under the impression that they were to be avoided.

Quick question. Is using a tourniquet still recommended? I was under the impression that they were to be avoided.

I have not heard this, but in my own opinion, I would rather have a tourniquet slowing the spread of venom rather than not. Especially if a highly venomous snake such as a puff adder or cobra has bitten you and you are far from help. If you get bitten on the Tygerberg MTB trails, then you are close to plenty hospitals and Tygerberg Poison Unit is close at hand as well. If you are out in the "sticks", then knowing how to act, and how not to act can be the difference between keeping a limb or not, even dying is possible without the right treatment.

But in all this, my advice would be to go get some sound medical advice as final confirmation of action taken if bitten by a snake.

V12Man, your input is welcome.

And if a geelslang or mamba bites you, get into the shade of a tree. You are going too die anyway. The shade of the tree will help to prevent swelling so that your relatives can get you into a coffin. :devil:

Way back in Namibia we had an old oom that always told us... "if ever a geelslang bites you, look for the shade of a big tree and go and lay down under the shade. Meat rot slower in shade that out in direct sunlight"

Needless to say that back then as kids we we're scared shitless of geelslange

Way back in Namibia we had an old oom that always told us... "if ever a geelslang bites you, look for the shade of a big tree and go and lay down under the shade. Meat rot slower in shade that out in direct sunlight"

Needless to say that back then as kids we we're scared shitless of geelslange

I’m still scared of them, actually as I get older I get more scared of snakes. I think is referred too as wisdom.

I've also heard this, and recall them saying the same thing on a snake handling course I did years ago. Apparently a tourniquet can cause additional damage, especially with snakes that are cytotoxic, such as the Puff Adder. As far as I know, only a pressure bandage should be used.

Edit: Aah, yes, confirms here to:  http://www.seanthomas.net/oldsite/venom.html

Edited by Piston ZA

I've also heard this, and recall them saying the same thing on a snake handling course I did years ago. Apparently a tourniquet can cause additional damage, especially with snakes that are cytotoxic, such as the Puff Adder. As far as I know, only a pressure bandage should be used.

Edit: Aah, yes, confirms here to:  http://www.seanthomas.net/oldsite/venom.html

Thanks for the info Piston. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So we found this little critter dead on the cycle lane ... anyone know exactly what it is?

post-5403-0-76813600-1527772501.jpeg