Taxis

nathrix

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with taxi's jumping the queue is, you may not let him in, I may not let him in, but sure enough by the 4th or 5th car, he gets his nose in, at it is still worth it to him. It won't change unless absolutely everybody is wakeup enough and stand together. Now what is the likelihood of that...

Law enforcement is no help whatsoever.

So what do you want to do? Fine then? They did they in pmb and then when their fines weren't expunged they caused chaos throughout the city. If ever there was a case of a tail wagging the dog.. It's the taxi industry in south Africa

Ja.... you know, there is a saying - "What you allow, will continue."

Well, I don't allow that s*** around me - have had MANY aggressive encounters with taxis. I'm not afraid of these bastards, and I sure as hell am up for a fight.

What gets me are the idiots who LET THEM PUSH IN at the front..... they are part of the problem.

I get really upset too but be careful not to enter into aggressive encounters with them. I'm not scared but some of them are itching for these encounters and they won't play fair. They won't think anything of pulling a gun out on you...trust I've seen this happen where I grew up.

Unfortunately, through inaction on the part of govt the taxi guys are getting more and more confident/arrogant by the day.

Perhaps campaigns like the fb post might eventually lead to change. Dunno....but what else do we do?

That being said I have had a few encounters..which in hindsight...well u know...

Edited by gavmtb

Here is my 2 cents worth ....

My daily commute is free from taxi's.  We are close to a main taxi route, and sometimes see "hair raising" stuff.  

Reality check - there are now MORE civilian cars driving worse along this section than taxis !!

So my typical exposure to minibus taxis are actually "not that bad" - certainly far from good, but no worse than other cars.

That said, last week I had to venture into peak hour traffic on the N2 - WOW !!!!!!!!!  Absolutely no idea how people survive this on a daily basis ..... 

Then again - a significant number of private cars driving just as bad !  Passing on yellow lanes, pushing in some distance further ....  Even a VW Caddy with Police number plates passing on the yellow lane - NO emergency, just one pass then sit there for 20 minutes, then another idiotic move ...

I would love to join the bad mouthing of "taxis" .... but maybe we need to start driving properly, just maybe our police need to start setting an example ....

Bottlneck on school run outside Palmyra junction woolworths ... ordinary vehicles mounting pavement to create an extra lane ... make it past there and face three taxis coming into oncoming traffic on wrong side of road, an Audi Q7 and a mini cooper following their lead ....

At 5.30am the taxis barrelling from Hout Bay through to Constantia give me a stay wider of the wider rider gap as I try to break my Constantia nek PR without actually breaking my real neck. 

Our road safety crisis is way more than the taxis. It's become part of the road culture - not for all of us but my guess is 10 or 15% of drivers fall into this category. 

The problem with taxi's jumping the queue is, you may not let him in, I may not let him in, but sure enough by the 4th or 5th car, he gets his nose in, at it is still worth it to him. It won't change unless absolutely everybody is wakeup enough and stand together. Now what is the likelihood of that...

Last week sometime people had enough of Taxi driver driving up the wrong side of the road near Turfhall road. They did a Cape Flats move on the driver. I bet he is at it again, but maybe not.

Bottlneck on school run outside Palmyra junction woolworths ... ordinary vehicles mounting pavement to create an extra lane ... make it past there and face three taxis coming into oncoming traffic on wrong side of road, an Audi Q7 and a mini cooper following their lead ....

At 5.30am the taxis barrelling from Hout Bay through to Constantia give me a stay wider of the wider rider gap as I try to break my Constantia nek PR without actually breaking my real neck.

Our road safety crisis is way more than the taxis. It's become part of the road culture - not for all of us but my guess is 10 or 15% of drivers fall into this category.

A large cause of this is “because if the taxi can do it I can do it” attitude.

I have yet to see a taxi waiting patiently in traffic only to say “fukkit if that Honda Jazz can mount the pavement so can I”.

Well, I don't allow that s*** around me - have had MANY aggressive encounters with taxis. I'm not afraid of these bastards, and I sure as hell am up for a fight. 

What gets me are the idiots who LET THEM PUSH IN at the front..... they are part of the problem.

Seriously? That approach would mean picking up fights at pretty much every intersection. That would be true idiocy.

took the words right out of my mouth! i believe anyone that allows them to obey unlawfully are guilty by association.

all it takes to start a strong public defence against taxis is that extra 4th or 5th car...

I have yet to see a taxi waiting patiently in traffic only to say “fukkit if that Honda Jazz can mount the pavement so can I”.

this is very true, taxi's do what they want to, not what they see others do!

I have yet to see any other vehicle drive down the opposite side of the road, but taxi's do it daily!

how old are you and susan ?

taxis have been driving like this since the 1990s (thats last century) if you where offering a solution then it would be news but susan is just moaning about the same old dead horse ....hence my yawn :whistling:

fb probably took down her post cause its booooring ..

No, she is actually trying to do something about it, unlike some people....go yawn when you or a family member becomes a taxi death statistic. 

Indeed, but you get alot of people who drive like that too. Main reason is that Traffic Police love to hide behind cameras and issue fines. How about the bus lanes for example. There are cameras all over the place and quick to issue non public transport with a fine, but why cant there be cameras monitoring the yellow lane? How is this fair? 

Here is my 2 cents worth ....

My daily commute is free from taxi's.  We are close to a main taxi route, and sometimes see "hair raising" stuff.  

Reality check - there are now MORE civilian cars driving worse along this section than taxis !!

So my typical exposure to minibus taxis are actually "not that bad" - certainly far from good, but no worse than other cars.

That said, last week I had to venture into peak hour traffic on the N2 - WOW !!!!!!!!!  Absolutely no idea how people survive this on a daily basis ..... 

Then again - a significant number of private cars driving just as bad !  Passing on yellow lanes, pushing in some distance further ....  Even a VW Caddy with Police number plates passing on the yellow lane - NO emergency, just one pass then sit there for 20 minutes, then another idiotic move ...

I would love to join the bad mouthing of "taxis" .... but maybe we need to start driving properly, just maybe our police need to start setting an example ....

It used to be very much my experience as well with all the years that I was commuting in Pretoria.  Taxis were the least of my problems.

As said in other posts here, the general attitude on the roads is a huge problem.

I am not one to generalise but if I have to be forced to do it I would say the following about problems that I experienced:

Black drivers (which also include the Taxi drivers) just tend to take opportunities that they shouldn't and are more likely to make judgement errors (estimating distance and speed).  This is something that in most cases I could anticipate while commuting. 

White drivers tend to do deliberate acts agains other road users.  Cut you off, push you off the road, etc.  This was normally something you would not anticipate and I found to be more of a threat to me.

From one cyclist to another , just watch yo ass out there. Especially

During weekend mornings as thats when the party animals are coming back from their drunken escapades. Assume that every car or taxi on the road can't see you and you will be a bit safer.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Edited by Tabula Rasa