Canyon bicycles now available direct to South Africa

shaper

Yip. But that's the (un)luck of the draw. Paying it forward for all the okes and vroukes who will get theirs in 5 days from ordering. 

In my correspondence with Canyon they have identified the "extra info needed" as an area they will address from their side as a permanent solution, which should avoid future delays. I can get beyond a bunch of people who rather than just chucking a quick fix on something, takes a step back and adjust their system to put a permanent solution in place. 

Anyway, I'll be on the stoep if anyone is looking for me...

sorry Crow ... my last parcel with frame took 2hrs in Customs .... so thanks for paying it forward :P

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry Crow ... my last parcel with frame took 2hrs in Customs .... so thanks for paying it forward :P

6-Pack chocolate Steri Stumpies should cover it...

ACHTUNG! For those asking on VAT + DUTY

I paid both. It's not 100% clear as the wording gets interpreted differently and from experience if there's a grey area SARS will take it to mean to their advantage. 

I'm trying to get a definitive answer, maybe even a directive that can be used in future. For now I'd say work on worst case scenario.

IF YOU CAN WAIT A BIT: seems I've tracked down a guy who can help with what exactly will be needed to get the bikes through with ZERO duty. He works for UPS, but their office seems to be in agreement that if it originated from Eu it should be duty free. I', expecting an email from him with all the info and will then chat to Canyon to see if it will be possible for them to add the needed docs to their papertrail. Sounds like the invoice needs to state clearly that it originates from the Eu (the complete bike does even though individual parts do not) - if so so it will be VAT + ENVIRONMENTAL DUTY (which I'm also trying to figure out what that will be.)

There's hope.

Yes.

Via email with Canyon. They replied the same day and sent a follow up email to confirm info had been sent.

Via phone with UPS / Customs. When their usual customer care couldn't provide detailed info they gave me a direct number of a lady on customs' side who helped with answers and confirming process, etc. She could check with customs when my parcel was booked for inspection and could then confirm that it had been inspected and what the report said. 

Just don't  expect UPS to come back to you (updating you on progress out of their own) or for customs to hint at the slightest possibility of going the extra mile. But in terms of sorting an issue with a call centre / customer support this has been plain sailing. 

Edit: To add one could tell that Canyon is geared for email correspondence and direct customer service. Also when the query from customs went through they sorted it on the same day and knew what to do. 

Nothing like German efficiency! :thumbup:

ACHTUNG! For those asking on VAT + DUTY

(Already) An update on this:

Dude at UPS has sent me what they would need as standard on the invoices, I've sent this along with an explanation of the local conundrum to a contact at Canyon. If he sticks to his usual reply rate I'm expecting an answer within 24 hours. Clarity may take a bit longer, but let's see what can be done.

I'll update again once there is some direction.

Dude at UPS has sent me what they would need as standard on the invoices, I've sent this along with an explanation of the local conundrum to a contact at Canyon. If he sticks to his usual reply rate I'm expecting an answer within 24 hours. Clarity may take a bit longer, but let's see what can be done.

I'll update again once there is some direction, in the meantime i'll post some pictures of my bike.

fixed

I'll update again once there is some direction.

Awesome news. I was about to pull the trigger on a frame only option and build up. But, if I don't have to pay 15% on a full bike, I can upgrade to the model that comes with everything I want.

if an invoice is under Eur 6,000.00 and the goods are of actual true EU origin, the supplier simply needs to include the following statement and he must stamp and sign next to it on the invoice.

"the exporter of the products covered by this document declares that, except where otherwise clearly indicated, the products are of EU/German preferential origin"

Then your can apply for the preferential rate of duty. For bicycles this would be 0% but then the grey area comes in as to how much of the parts needs to be of EU origin to be deemed as true EU origin.

if an invoice is under Eur 6,000.00 and the goods are of actual true EU origin, the supplier simply needs to include the following statement and he must stamp and sign next to it on the invoice.

"the exporter of the products covered by this document declares that, except where otherwise clearly indicated, the products are of EU/German preferential origin"

Then your can apply for the preferential rate of duty. For bicycles this would be 0% but then the grey area comes in as to how much of the parts needs to be of EU origin to be deemed as true EU origin.

Canyon don't provide this, I have asked.  I think they fully acknowledge that it's almost entirely manufactured in China and assembled in Germany.

Something to note: make sure of ALL the accessories you might need from Canyon and order it with the bike. (Spare hangers for expected frame lifetime etc)

Delivery fee for a Garmin Aerocockpit H36 adapter to Malaysia is $107!  :drool:  No way I'm going to pay that... The $35 for the unit itself is already expensive...

Edited by Zatopek

Thought I'd share my updated Canyon CF Ultimate SLX. I sold the Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro and bought HED Ardennes Black with Vittoria Corsa G+. 

This is proper. Is that the saddle that came with the bike or an upgrade?

Thought I'd share my updated Canyon CF Ultimate SLX. I sold the Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro and bought HED Ardennes Black with Vittoria Corsa G+. 

Wow, that's a beautiful bike. Enjoy it ;)