When wheels go BOOOOM!!!

Squier

This has got to be the best story so far this year ... I truly had a good laugh at your description :clap:  :clap: 
Sorry about your rim... something really doesn't look kosher there. Maybe worth taking it to Fulcrum for a closer inspection and a possible warranty.... and a valet of your car

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This cycling thing, never boring I tell you.

So, it's a sunny Friday afternoon and an extra fun one as I picked up a shiny new Ardent Race tyre to pop on my rear wheel before Tankwa Trek.

I get home, pop the old tyre off, pop the new one on, add some sealant and, as pomping is not my forte, quickly drive to the Engen Garage around the corner to seat the wheel on the rim. At the garage I pump the wheel 3.5 bar, as is my usual method of making sure the tyre is seated, spin it for a while to get the sealant to spread in the wheel, placed it on the back seat and drove back home. Easy as pie.

I arrived home to our leafy, green, tranquil suburb 5 minutes later knowing that once I put my wheel back on my bike it's beer o' clock by the pool. I get out, open the driver side rear door and as I touch my wheel there is an explosion akin to what I imagine Nagasaki and Hiroshima combined sounded like.

Stunned and disoriented I look up to see my kids come running out of the house. Their mouths are moving but their voices mum. A bewildered flock of hadedas flies up from the trees behind me trying to escape what must've to them sounded like the start of World War lll. I can see their beaks moving but all I hear is an incessant ringing in my ears. As I wait for the color to return to my sight I realize that the lack of color is due to my immediate surroundings being stained in Stan's white. The only thing no longer white is my underpants.

My rim had exploded. The tyre had some damage to the bead, but looked fine, but my month old Fulcrum rim was FUBAR.

It's now 3 weeks later and I'm slowly starting to recover from the shell shock. This wasn't the first time I changed a tubeless tyre, but it must probably was the last.

0d31f6bc80e88701e41ef7b82ec7bf10.jpg81edc1455988570f890c04cd1fb16ed2.jpg

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Sorry, couldn't resist.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPthShej9Q&has_verified=1

the first thought that went through my head - glad it wasn't me.  :eek:

Hope you treated  your car to a valet after that. 

ah man, now I have to confess to similar.

wheel went boom as it hit 3 bar at the petrol station seating the bead, in my hands, ears were ringing even after I had cleaned up all of the slime from the car. Even added in extra slime yay...

Its funny now that it is all sorted I guesss.

Ended up rebuilding the wheel with a new rim as well.

post-57821-0-73606700-1518779309_thumb.jpg

A similar thing happened to me after mounting Maxxis Icons on Stans Crest wheels.

Those rims are super tight and after pumping up the tire to 3 bar (so it pops out and seats itself),

I spun it around to ensure the goo was well distributed and then as I put the wheel down - BAAMMMMMM !!!!

An almighty noise and at first you stunned, not quite sure what happened. One moment all is normal, the next moment, you and everything in your garage is covered in sticky white stuff. Even my neighbours came to see what the noise was.

If you google Maxxis tires and Stans Crest rims, it is not that unusual. There are whole treads on the subject

Luckily I am able to walk to my nearest petrol station to seat tyres(thus I will avoid sealant all over the car). The guys know me now and even when I gooi fuel they ask about the wheels. I have even explained to them how tubeless works.

Sorry for laughing but that was a good read! i have never ever seen a rim get destroyed like that, i had a similar experience when a tyre came off a rim while i was pumping it .... i am still waiting for the cat to come back home!

i wonder if the rim was cracked and maybe let go under the pressure?

PS. good luck with cleaning your car

Hahaha. It was a new rim and let go on the join of the rim.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

you have serious story writing abilities.

please share the story you told your wife on how the car got full of white sticky stuff all over the back seat (and drivers seat)

that scene from American Pie (think it's 2) comes to mind

Classic, i think you're quite unlucky. Since it's that new i would speak to fulcrum.

and remember, it could have been worse

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/12/08/article-1336779-0C65DD8A000005DC-223_634x420.jpg

lol I know the feeling

was forced by the wife to buy new curtains , new duvet, re paint the sealing ... :ph34r:

will never go near 3 bar again :blush:

Am I the only one that finds 3.5 bar (50 psi) on a MTB tyre to be excessive, even for seating a tyre?

I think Stan's suggests a maximum of 40psi...not sure what the tyre's maximum rating is but I'm sure that has something to do with it exploding.

Top tip: when you seat a new tyre with a compressor, do it without any sealant. Once its seated, deflate and inject the sealant through the valve core. 

Oh, and 3.5 bar is way more than you should need to seat a tyre - if it hasn't seated by 2 bar or so (30 psi) something is wrong. 

Too high a pressure.

Similar happened to me many years ago, luckily not caused by myself. Took my AM Classic wheels to a bike shop in Roodepoort/Helderkruin somewhere for a quick topup of sealant before my friend and I road tripped to Sabie for the Subaru Classic. I'm not from Transvaal. So young guy at shop deflates and pops the bead off. Sealant is put in. While this is happening I'm chilling, walking through the shop, browsing. Guy bring wheel out from the back and is standing next to the counter pumping the wheels up with their floor pump.

BOOM.

Now a tyre exploding inside a confined shop is quite a memorable sound.

I didn't know what happened, didn't know it was from a wheel, not to mention MY wheel. I walk closer. They got sealant over everything, the helmets, the roof, the racks of consignment stock clothes, everywhere. Wheel looked like a Pringles chip. Fncked.

Well I tell the guy. We're leaving for a race in 15 minutes. You maar better make a plan boet. So the guy that worked there had to take the wheel off his bike and give it to me to use for the weekend.

Anyway, shop had to order a new rim, rebuild the wheel and ship it down to PE at their expense.

Archived