Can middle age guys jump?

Delarey

I am curious to know if there are other middle age mtb riders catching the jumping bug? I am 48 and have been riding for around 6 years now. North of 105kg I am also not exactly pushing for any fast times in races. I do find myself drawn to the jumps though. Not anything crazy, but maybe gap jumps up to 1m. 

I do most of my riding on G-Spot and Mont Marie and there are plenty of jumps to tempt me there. First time I cleared the jump at the bottom of G-Spot was a major accomplishment end of last year. Unfortunately had a had a major crash on that exact jump a few weeks ago (even cracked my helmet).

If I am honest, my jumping probably involves 80% bravery and 20% skill, but boy is it exhilarating when you overcome the fear and nail the jump. My confidence has taken a bit of a knock, but I am slowly working my way back again...went back last week to clear that jump again (it took balls of steel not to back out at the last minute!)

Any other middle age "bigger" guys out there relating?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 years, lean, and attempting some of the smaller jumps at Meerendal ....

been watching some videos, and giving it a try every so often ....

Tend to "land-to-the-left" .... so certainly not comfortable at this stage.

enjoyed watching some of the youngsters grabbing some air at the Meerendal pump track on Saturday.

Mmmmm  am totally relating here ..  am 54 , around 95 Kgs and been riding just over a year.

Jumping bug has bitten badly !!

Have watched alot of youtube vids , and most seem to point back to the basics , can you manual , and bunny hop ?  Looks like mastering those is the key to advancing to the jumping.

I recently changed back to flat pedals , and am now trying to bunny hop and not be able to

"cheat" by pulling up on the pedals. 

Can an old dog learn new tricks..  I am determined  :w00t: . and bruises heal .

So any advice appreciated !! 

I have also watched a lot of youtube videos. Spent a lot of time trying to manual...not even getting close. Kind of given up on that. Been speaking to a lot of guys I see jumping at G-Spot and a lot of them can't manual either. I am sure it will make a lot of difference if you can manual, but am not convinced it is a defining factor anymore. Maybe for table top drops, but not so much for ramped jumps.

I also watch a lot of mtb crash videos. It's refreshing to see that "dead sailor" happens at various skill levels. I think staying relax in the jump and body position/weight distribution is the key.

Not sure if seeing people crashing is helping or hurting, but it is fun watching those videos! 

54, more kgs than there should be, riding since 1989, a metre is about my limit too.

Around 10 years ago I smashed my left shoulder and tore the bicep tendon, trying to bunny hop a series of roots on a short but sharp downhill.......put a little damper on my exuberance with the bike!

I still try to give it horns on the down bits, but tend to take the chicken runs and roll the jumps as much as possible.

I was getting in to it a couple of years ago.

Then i had some mates who fell and i saw the injuries and realised when you run out of talent there is a big price to pay. I like my collarbone where it is.

Its great fun getting in to the air - the landings however are what really matters....

c41c929ce9155c55f4ddfda944543dc4.jpg This jump was added to Mont Marie around Oct last year. Was even dreaming about it for a while. Those rocks in the middle just messed with my confidence. Man was I proud the first time I cleared it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c41c929ce9155c55f4ddfda944543dc4.jpg This jump was added to Mont Marie around Oct last year. Was even dreaming about it for a while. Those rocks in the middle just messed with my confidence. Man was I proud the first time I cleared it!

Thought it was the grave site of the last person that attemted the jump.

I came across this a couple of weeks ago... 

Good Luck, Be careful, i find the older i get the longer it takes me to heal after a fall.

Edited by AdamA