Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While on the subject of riders wanting to fly down hills ...last Friday was the THIRD time I had to dive into the bushes because of riders bombing down, against the flow, on Bloemenhill !  Guys this is a UP section.

Pedal to the top of the mast - the down section (Bloemendaler) starts there ! - then the trail goes  UP Bloemenhill !

per above post ....." Come to the Helderberg trails ..Or better yet join the next shuttle day, ..." 

There lies the problem - guys want to bomb down - but can't be bothered to ride UP.

Thanks Lombards and Bloemendaler are just great as they are.

---------------------------

As new options for trails go :..I would rather have/like/suggest a trail/route around the top section of the "mast koppie"  joining the top of Hillcrest and Contermanskloof.  Perhaps from top or Rooikat - around the hill, to join below cement section on the other side. 

Since we lost the Kliprug trails - I find it a bugger when returning home via the cement section on the mast climb after a playing on Contermans - Hoogekraal - Fairview loop all day.

Ha ha - we've all shed blood on those trails --- 

Trail permit purchased... apparently, I've not spilled enough blood there! I wonder what will grow where I have...?

Hoping somebody can help with the following

I believe we must be off the Traverse by 17:30.  But is their a limit on when we may start there in the morning, other than "sunrise", currently at 6:30?

Anybody know what time the shop at Bloemendal opens on weekends ?

While on the subject of riders wanting to fly down hills ...last Friday was the THIRD time I had to dive into the bushes because of riders bombing down, against the flow, on Bloemenhill !  Guys this is a UP section.

Pedal to the top of the mast - the down section (Bloemendaler) starts there ! - then the trail goes  UP Bloemenhill !

per above post ....." Come to the Helderberg trails ..Or better yet join the next shuttle day, ..." 

There lies the problem - guys want to bomb down - but can't be bothered to ride UP.

Same with Cow Pat Alley forest section

I do not disagree that yes having multiple shuttle days do damage the trails however they are only happening once a month or every 2nd month depending how much maintenance we can get done.

However like it or not we are creating awareness for the Helderberg trails and therefore growing the membership by showing people just how awesome our trails are. We have had people who live in the basin but never ride there because "it's so steep to climb" but now they have annual membership after riding these fantastic trails.

We really hope to not only grow the trail network but make it sustainable.

Edited by andrewdh

According to the last 2 club news letters, there is a new trail in the pipeline on a new farm, but so far Patrick is not revealing anything other than calling it Trail S for secret.

Any guesses?

I would like a link from Hoogies to Meerendal, but not just "gravel travel", but rather actual ST, with some ups, and plenty downs, and some lekker techie bits thrown in the mix.

• 4 weeks later...

From the news letter...YES PLEASE [emoji1690]

"We are looking at and programming, in conjunction with the land owner, building a new BLACK descent on one of our trail centres, that has both the elevation and natural terrain to incorporate such a trail. I know you will probably end up rating the trail as Green after riding it, given your superior riding skills, but the intention is to build something that will scare the pants off most of us mere mortals and is indeed something we as a club and the committee are looking forward to!!"

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

According to the last 2 club news letters, there is a new trail in the pipeline on a new farm, but so far Patrick is not revealing anything other than calling it Trail S for secret.

Any guesses?

I would like a link from Hoogies to Meerendal, but not just "gravel travel", but rather actual ST, with some ups, and plenty downs, and some lekker techie bits thrown in the mix.

if you had come to the AGM on Tuesday you would’ve gotten the full detail of everything that’s in the pipeline. The new Trails i.e. Trail S are connecting Faircape with 5 new farms it’s, more off road mileage than new gnarly stuff. However yesterday’s newsletter suggested there are some gnarly stuff also in the pipeline that was not mentioned at the AGM.

The link from Hoogies to Meerendal is an ongoing negotiation for the past couple of years and is still on going, so it’s on the cards once an agreement between land owners can be met. It will essentially be the old Cape Epic Prologue route.

Big thumbs up for the MARCHALS

On Saturday a couple of Maritz's buddies joined us at Bloemendal, with day permits.

Did not take too long for the permit to tear off though .... 

post-110956-0-74226400-1552858735_thumb.jpg

As we passed under the B Spot banner for our second run, a rider zoomed past on the left, and pulled in front of us on the trail .... He was VERY polite when asking where the "riders board" was on the kids bike .....  I popped back, and got the torn board from the kids mom.

Question to those in the know .....

Where are you allowed to ride with this day permit :

post-110956-0-77574800-1552859108_thumb.jpg

Typically you may only ride on the farm where you bought it, and corridors are off limits.

BUT, this board sports THREE farm names .... does this mean that the rider may legally do the D'Aria loop, then back to Bloemendal ?

Question to those in the know .....

Where are you allowed to ride with this day permit :

attachicon.gif20190317_195745 (Large).jpg

Typically you may only ride on the farm where you bought it, and corridors are off limits.

BUT, this board sports THREE farm names .... does this mean that the rider may legally do the D'Aria loop, then back to Bloemendal ?

Yes all 3 farms

Just not the corridors

Yes all 3 farms

Just not the corridors

Question for anyone in the know:

How is a day visitor supposed to get through the locked gates into Hillcrest? Are they expected to take the tar road to the front gate?

As new options for trails go :..I would rather have/like/suggest a trail/route around the top section of the "mast koppie"  joining the top of Hillcrest and Contermanskloof.  Perhaps from top or Rooikat - around the hill, to join below cement section on the other side. 

Since we lost the Kliprug trails - I find it a bugger when returning home via the cement section on the mast climb after a playing on Contermans - Hoogekraal - Fairview loop all day.

The farms surrounding the mast are divided like slices of a round cake. This means that it is impossible to cut a route between Hillcrest and Conties without crossing kliprug. I feel your pain and generally end up using the new oatlands corridor to Vissershok rd.

You will get the gate code when you buy your day permit at Bloemendal.

How is a day visitor supposed to get through the locked gates into Hillcrest? Are they expected to take the tar road to the front gate?

Purchase your day permit from Bloemendal and then cross directly over the tar road at the Bloemendal exit, through the gate and Follow signage through Nitida and into Hillcrest

post-7002-0-87433900-1552889688_thumb.jpg