Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Very nostalgic for me reading some of these posts. I was one of the 10 or so people that got together one eveing at Union Cycles to form Tygerberg MTB Club....that must have been about 1994. We used to ride/explore those hills in those days almost at will, obv there were a few estates that we knew were a no-go and not negotiable. I remember walking up from the Majik Forest to beyond the vineyards with Meurant Botha to show him where we wanted him to cut single track for us. Good memories, but who knows, maybe I will end up back there one day.

THANKS !!!!  :thumbup:   :clap:

I wish you could see the kids enjoy the trails, and feel the family vibe ... kids of all ages

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THANKS !!!!  :thumbup:   :clap:

I wish you could see the kids enjoy the trails, and feel the family vibe ... kids of all ages

It was a HUGE pleasure! I left the area in 2004, and have since given up cycling altogether and gotten back into it, and I am amazed at how big the club has become.

It was a HUGE pleasure! I left the area in 2004, and have since given up cycling altogether and gotten back into it, and I am amazed at how big the club has become.

THIS is your legacy  :clap:   :clap:

about 2 years of Tygerberg trails, and look at the confidence as he rides those burms (when he has some clear space to pick up speed ... last part of the video ..5:00 onward) .... and he is only 7 years old, turning 8 shortly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwBOz8dBKQI

Edited by ChrisF

Very nostalgic for me reading some of these posts. I was one of the 10 or so people that got together one eveing at Union Cycles to form Tygerberg MTB Club....that must have been about 1994. We used to ride/explore those hills in those days almost at will, obv there were a few estates that we knew were a no-go and not negotiable. I remember walking up from the Majik Forest to beyond the vineyards with Meurant Botha to show him where we wanted him to cut single track for us. Good memories, but who knows, maybe I will end up back there one day.

well a big thanks to you and the other 10 or so... you started a great thing

Thanks for the kind words, all, but we were just following our passions.

I actually have a fragment of wood embedded in my right forearm from a protruding branch in the Majik F. So I guess I'll have a piece of the MF go to my grave with me... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I recently rode the Oatlands corridor and I couldn't get the gate next to Vissershok Road to open with the standard code... not sure if something is wrong with it. Looks like the signs on the gate have been damaged. 

Also, I just wanted to say a general thanks for all the work that's been done lately - even though the storm and the cows have already had their way with Oatlands haha (it's been 3 days).post-128151-0-23742400-1561301700_thumb.jpg

Edited by aquaratza

Hi Cyclists

Just a word of caution.  On the section of trail before you get to Burry Stander, there have been erosion lines inside this switchback for a while already.  With the recent rains this has really washed out !!

Fun is you only see this once into the switchback ....  :eek:   By then you better have enough momentum and the right gear to stay on the upper line ....  :whistling:   :ph34r:

post-110956-0-76517800-1561907529_thumb.jpg

PS - I have reported this to the Club email address, but I do believe it is a different team maintaining the trails on the Meerendal farm.  Please forward it to the right people if you have a more direct contact.   :thumbup:

Edited by ChrisF

Hi guys

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I recently rode the Oatlands corridor and I couldn't get the gate next to Vissershok Road to open with the standard code... not sure if something is wrong with it. Looks like the signs on the gate have been damaged. 

Also, I just wanted to say a general thanks for all the work that's been done lately - even though the storm and the cows have already had their way with Oatlands haha (it's been 3 days).attachicon.gifoatlands-a few days later.jpg

Standard code applies to the lock. I also thought the code was changed when I got to the gate last week. I had to tug a bit on the lock to open it.

Standard code applies to the lock. I also thought the code was changed when I got to the gate last week. I had to tug a bit on the lock to open it.

Just something stupid, check that the numbers for the code is aligned at the correct place. ie it must be aligned at the top row not the middle row (as I intuitively thought...) - if this explanation makes sense

Did the Klipheuwel trail on Saturday morning, trails was in good condition, considering all the rain that fell over the last week. Only two spots was muddy, the one where you cross the A-Frame was not avoidable. Quite a few chaps was standing ankle deep in mud there.

Guys, just a word of advise from a pleb, when you get to muddy sections like that, do not try to power your way through, go into a light as possible gear, try and keep your momentum and spin it through.

On my way back to Spes Bona, there was about 8 guys standing in the mud, shouting warnings to me to get off and push through. They must have thought me crazy when I ignored them, and to be a pro when I just chose a line and spinned my way through the muck (mud and I'm sure a good deal of cow poop too as the cows were milling around there.....)

Did the Klipheuwel trail on Saturday morning, trails was in good condition, considering all the rain that fell over the last week. Only two spots was muddy, the one where you cross the A-Frame was not avoidable. Quite a few chaps was standing ankle deep in mud there.

Guys, just a word of advise from a pleb, when you get to muddy sections like that, do not try to power your way through, go into a light as possible gear, try and keep your momentum and spin it through.

On my way back to Spes Bona, there was about 8 guys standing in the mud, shouting warnings to me to get off and push through. They must have thought me crazy when I ignored them, and to be a pro when I just chose a line and spinned my way through the muck (mud and I'm sure a good deal of cow poop too as the cows were milling around there.....)

Skills really is a "thing". People should try get some.

Heard a rumour about an injury to a rider on the Hoogies Cobra this weekend, needing a heli evac? Anyone have any details/confirmation?