Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

When it come to this I see it the same way as snakes. We are in their territory. Again pepper spray!

Nah dude,

there is certain responsibility involved when you have a ~80 kg dog that can inflict serious damage and death - even if you're Kobus Wiese you hardly stand a fighting chance against such a dog.

Dogs are domesticated animals, ecologically so far removed, and have zero claim to any territory. Unless you're trespassing, the law is actually on your side and the liability is on the owner.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite new hobby is to ride over those little green brommers congregating on the trails (lots at Conties) and end as many of them as I can.

Nah dude,

there is certain responsibility involved when you have a ~80 kg dog that can inflict serious damage and death - even if you're Kobus Wiese you hardly stand a fighting chance against such a dog.

Dogs are domesticated animals, ecologically so far removed, and have zero claim to any territory. Unless you're trespassing, the law is actually on your side and the liability is on the owner.

The incident I was refering is that we are riding the FARM that be,longs to the owner and dog so we can not expect the owner to keep it on a lead. Legally 

Please read the SA laws wrt to keeping animals. When it is in a public space it has to be on a lead. This dog on the farm is in its own yard.

We can only peperspray the dog to protect ourselfs.

With your logic, what are you going to do when on of the bulls on HK farm comes for you??

The incident I was refering is that we are riding the FARM that be,longs to the owner and dog so we can not expect the owner to keep it on a lead. Legally 

Please read the SA laws wrt to keeping animals. When it is in a public space it has to be on a lead. This dog on the farm is in its own yard.

With your logic, what are you going to do when on of the bulls on HK farm comes for you??

End it??  :whistling:

I would be happy to do so, but first, I need to sort the dog out. No biting allowed. If that means I end the dog, then so be it. Then, if the owner is around, he better start running.

After my incident on the way to Simonsberg in May, I got attacked by a sheep dog belonging to a farm labourer. The dog ripped a 12cm gash into my lower leg, almost to the bone. And then I had to stand there and get demoerin with the owner who was reluctant to assist me. He eventually relented after I threatened him with poverty beyond his level of comprehension after I sue his ass.

Then in August, coming down the back of Devon Valley road I got assailed by another aggro mutt. This time I evaded getting bitten, but that made me resolute to rather steer directly for the dog with intent to end it, rather than evade it. I have figured that in trying to get away, the dog gets the advantage, and I get bitten.

No more.

I see dog, I end dog.

Steering directly at an 80kg pit bull might switch up your who ends who theory

If its me and my pepper spray vs Mr C. Cobra .... the smart money is on the reptile.

When it come to this I see it the same way as snakes. We are in their territory. Again pepper spray!

The first time a dog (boerboel) bit me, I was 12, and I was on the owner's farm. The dog punctured my wrist, and I was carted off to the doctor for some tetanus shots, cutting the braai short. Owner paid.

The last time I was bitten (skaaphond), as mentioned in my previous post, was not on the farm, but while I was riding on a public road.

The dog that charged me in August? Also on a public road...

As I said before. I aim to end any dog I see that charges me on a public road. Twice bitten, thrice shy. Ek vat nie meer kanse nie. Pepper spray will help you boggerall, as the dog that attacked me earlier this year was so quick, I only heard it bark twice before it grabbed my leg. The first time I even saw it was after it latched on. I did not even have a chance to unclip. Good luck trying to pull your "mace".

...perhaps I should also clarify a bit. I grew up on a farm with bull-terriers. I know all about farm animals, and even on the farm, the dog does not merely get to run around and do as it pleases.

The first time a dog (boerboel) bit me, I was 12, and I was on the owner's farm. The dog punctured my wrist, and I was carted off to the doctor for some tetanus shots, cutting the braai short. Owner paid.

The last time I was bitten (skaaphond), as mentioned in my previous post, was not on the farm, but while I was riding on a public road.

The dog that charged me in August? Also on a public road...

As I said before. I aim to end any dog I see that charges me on a public road. Twice bitten, thrice shy. Ek vat nie meer kanse nie. Pepper spray will help you boggerall, as the dog that attacked me earlier this year was so quick, I only heard it bark twice before it grabbed my leg. The first time I even saw it was after it latched on. I did not even have a chance to unclip. Good luck trying to pull your "mace".

...perhaps I should also clarify a bit. I grew up on a farm with bull-terriers. I know all about farm animals, and even on the farm, the dog does not merely get to run around and do as it pleases.

As I said before the dog does not know it is wrong.....however his owner does know.

By your logic a kid that does not know any better should be treated in the same way? How many todlers have I seen that goes through a bitting phase?

And as I said before, if I ever have to see you "take out a dog"

Edit: would love to hear what you would do when a cow, Bulls charges you when riding HK etc? You gonna take them out? Or do they get 2 chances?

Edited by Quagga

As I said before the dog does not know it is wrong.....however his owner does know.

But when the dog attacks you you have to defend yourself. You don't have the luxury to first sit down with the owner and discuss the education of the dog?

Not sure why Robbie rubs you up so wrong today, I don't read his post as "I'm going to take out every dog I encounter"?

And as I said before, if I ever have to see you "take out a dog"

Keep the dog on a leash, and don't let it run freely in the road (which is the law in SA) before it decides to attack me, and you won't. Simple, really.

Don't do that, and you will if you are near me.

3 weekends ago a kid in in the street I live in was bit by a roaming dog which the owner let out "since his mutt was cramped up in the yard"...I have a daughter now who is 5 months old. If she ever gets bitten by a dog in the street...daai man moet maar fkn vinnig hol, want as ek hom vang k@k hy en sy hond.

I love(d) dogs, but since my last bite, that dog must just look skew at me...

But when the dog attacks you you have to defend yourself. You don't have the luxury to first sit down with the owner and discuss the education of the dog?

Not sure why Robbie rubs you up so wrong today, I don't read his post as "I'm going to take out every dog I encounter"?

I am not saying you can not defend yourself, I mention peperspray. But Robbie mentioned "take him out" 

If it happens to me and it has, but I was not bitten I managed to keep my bike between me and dog. But did not kick or hit him etc. Just enough "force not to get bitten" 

However once the owner arrived he got to the hear all about the law etc etc.

Keep the dog on a leash, and don't let it run freely in the road (which is the law in SA) before it decides to attack me, and you won't. Simple, really.

Don't do that, and you will if you are near me.

3 weekends ago a kid in in the street I live in was bit by a roaming dog which the owner let out "since his mutt was cramped up in the yard"...I have a daughter now who is 5 months old. If she ever gets bitten by a dog in the street...daai man moet maar fkn vinnig hol, want as ek hom vang k@k hy en sy hond.

I love(d) dogs, but since my last bite, that dog must just look skew at me...

And that is the part I have an issue with. 

Take our all your anger on the owner, but if the dog is not longer actively attacking why do it harm it does not know better.

I am the 1st person to stop and tell someone that they dog must be on lead even if I am in my car. As I HAD a staffy that did not like other dogs and took him for a walk and some other clots dog came running up, with the owner going "dont worry my dog is friendly" I replied with well mine is not. (was on a lead and now I had picked him up) Then this B1t%$$ said "well then you must not take your dangerous dog for a walk" WTF

I have the same right, provided I do it as per the LAW. The same LAW you quoted also PRWEVENTS you from "killing" the dog.

WRT to this part 

I love(d) dogs < You tollerate them 

Edited by Quagga

If a dog attacks me while on my bike I will do the same as when a Spaniel ran out of his gate a couple years back and bit my dog that was on a leash. I will get something to protect myself with, and he will eat a liquid diet for a couple of months.

It is his owners responsibility to keep him from harm, by not letting him attack other people and animals. It is my responsibility to protect myself and my animals.