Tygerberg MTB Trails

Bub Marley

Hi all, does the Conties/Meerendal corridor still exist? Was there at the corner this afternoon and all the steps by the gates down to Meerendal was gone.. Maps still show the corridor

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, does the Conties/Meerendal corridor still exist? Was there at the corner this afternoon and all the steps by the gates down to Meerendal was gone.. Maps still show the corridor

Evening, That corridor closed down permanently in December last year, and has since been replaced by a new corridor (also exclusive to Tygerberg Club Members only), a little further up on Vissershok Rd. The entrance is also to the left, on the adjacent Oatlands farm.  We had announcements a while back on our facebook page, and news-flashes was mailed out to our subscribers, but we'll follow up with the IT crew to get the maps / and new website updated accordingly.

Enjoy the new traverse, you will now be spending a whole lot less time climbing over fences with your bike ! 

Evening, That corridor closed down permanently in December last year, and has since been replaced by a new corridor (also exclusive to Tygerberg Club Members only), a little further up on Vissershok Rd. The entrance is also to the left, on the adjacent Oatlands farm.  We had announcements a while back on our facebook page, and news-flashes was mailed out to our subscribers, but we'll follow up with the IT crew to get the maps / and new website updated accordingly.

Enjoy the new traverse, you will now be spending a whole lot less time climbing over fences with your bike ! 

Great thanks... At the Conties corner I did see some sign going towards top of Vissershok. Guess that is what you are talking about. I never get any news-related emails from TBMTB. Is there a way to verify? I did  login to the site and verified my email address is correct.

Are you at liberty to say what made you close the older corridor? Just for interest sake...

Going by previous answers to similar questions I don't think the Captain will give much away except for "we ended on good terms" which is fair enough.

Just go ride the new corridor and your interest in the old one will dissipate very quickly, it's amazing! I now purposefully included it into my loop where as I avoided the old one like the plague. 

Thanks TMBC. 

Going by previous answers to similar questions I don't think the Captain will give much away except for "we ended on good terms" which is fair enough.

Just go ride the new corridor and your interest in the old one will dissipate very quickly, it's amazing! I now purposefully included it into my loop where as I avoided the old one like the plague. 

Thanks TMBC. 

Understandable... 

Missed out on that section yesterday then...

So,

Why does (very nearly) everyone who visits Hoogies just keep going past the awesome skills park? I sessioned there last Saturday, and what a blast. So many lines, so many options. I would be happy to just spend an hour or two there and nothing else. I am also stumped why so few people venture out merely to improve their skills, as this is a definite outcome of a visit to the park.

I'm pretty confident that the skills park will eventually make lines like the cobra more enjoyable as well...

Cos it's essentially a SKILL park. It's a collection of 3 small drops and a massive amount of jumps. When I want to practice jumping, yeah great. It's definitely fit for purpose, but Nixon's is closer to me so that gets used more. 

If there were rock gardens of various sizes & lengths, bigger drops than the largest one there, sections like "pick up sticks" in Coetzenburg etc, then it'd be a skillS park. But now... it's just a jump park. 

Thanks TMBC. 

Yeah that old corridor really sucked... Once I mustered up enough courage to put a pink board on my bike I will go try out that new one  :thumbup:

Cos it's essentially a SKILL park. It's a collection of 3 small drops and a massive amount of jumps. When I want to practice jumping, yeah great. It's definitely fit for purpose, but Nixon's is closer to me so that gets used more. 

If there were rock gardens of various sizes & lengths, bigger drops than the largest one there, sections like "pick up sticks" in Coetzenburg etc, then it'd be a skillS park. But now... it's just a jump park. 

I didn't want to be the first person to write this....

It's fun, but yeah, the skills one can learn are limited. Not sure how they translate to people getting more confident going down the BLUE graded Cobra further up the hill.

No Tygerberg Trails thread will be complete without Thermophage complaining about how the trails are not technical enough....

Don't give up man, people might not have listened the first few 1000 times you said it but the next post might be the one that convince everybody 

No Tygerberg Trails thread will be complete without Thermophage complaining about how the trails are not technical enough....

Don't give up man, people might not have listened the first few 1000 times you said it but the next post might be the one that convince everybody 

Interesting...read again. No commentary on trails not being tech enough.

Erm, he was reiterating my point about the skill park just being good for jumping.  

BUT! Yeah, he's right. They aren't technical enough for my liking, either. I'd like more of the XCO track type stuff and more rocks, slow techy descents and climbs etc. But then nobody listens, anyway. Transport Status Quo or Iron Monkey into Tygerberg somewhere, please. :P

Suppose I'll just wait to be shot down as well... 

For what it's worth. I still enjoy TBMTB (Hoogies & Conters) but wish it had MORE than just an abundance of flow trails. Something our up and coming (and older) XCO competitors can use to skill up on, and rise to the top, instead of just the XCO track. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Great thanks... At the Conties corner I did see some sign going towards top of Vissershok. Guess that is what you are talking about. I never get any news-related emails from TBMTB. Is there a way to verify? I did  login to the site and verified my email address is correct.

Are you at liberty to say what made you close the older corridor? Just for interest sake...

When ascending to Vissershok road from Meerendal side, one will notice that the farmer is busy cultivating the land on the side where the old corridor trail used to run. I am guessing that this is part of the reason, keeping riders out of the crop. Coming from a farm myself, I can attest to how po'd a farmer gets when people go snoop where they should not be, causing damage to a valuable crop or infrastructure such as drip irrigation, by riding / walking where they are not supposed to be.

(Now, I am making an assumption here. This is NOT based on fact, just pure speculation)

I have spent my fair share of plowing and preparing land for crops to know how annoyed one gets when people with no clue undo one's work. More or less the same level of annoyance reached by Patrick Roberts and his crew of Gnomes when Ivan's cows, Stravassholes and BB Brigade wreck their work...

I had a chat to a guy who helps build on this skill park, as you put it. There has been a sponsor that came on-board, and this will surely lead to more improvements. Also, their are some new lines being envisaged, as well as some more (bigger) drops / rock gardens etc. as you mention as being absent.

I am not a builder on that trail, so I will not divulge what I was told. Suffice it to say that it is lined up to be an even better skill(s) park with time.

I get why you feel the drive is not worth it for you, as you live closer to better parks. Lekker. But for those of us who don't, this is all we have within (comfortable) riding distance from home.

My question was posed to all the dudes/dudettes who cycle past in their droves on their way to the trail head, without so much as a cursory glance. I am guessing that if more people frequent the park (as-is), maybe the club will have it in their collective hearts to add more lekker features?

That's what the Bloemendal XCO course is for.... :whistling:  :whistling:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

at less than 1% of the total trail distance, it's nice but needed a lot more elsewhere, IMO. As was very nicely displayed when 6 riders went off to hospital on Friday's practice, 3 broken shoulders and 17 crashes on ONE section of the XCO course. 

For starters one cannot compare one skills park to he next. When nixon opened he had a few stuff, and as I understand, it has grown. Now I have never been, so cant comment further.

Hoogies is about 2 years in the making. I enjoy it, when i just opened, and how it has grown. I started out on the 2 small drops near the top and was way too scared of the bigger ones, but now I am sending off the big drop(on my ht) and clearing most of the tables. I have yet to clear the massive table and  the doubles. 

All that is missing is rock gardens, but the lower bit where you exit is nice and tricky.

I think it compliments the tygeberg trails. 

Now i just need to hit some massive road gaps!