Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

Was there this weekend. Track was great. Animals friendly. No hawkers...

What do people expect from a MTB trail? 

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I'm afraid Modders is not what it was. Living in Edenvale it was my favorite place to ride. Now i travel out back to my 2nd most favorite (now my 1st) Northern Farms.

It seems the organizers at modders have simply lost interest and now the reserve doesn't care but gladly take your entrance fee. 

You gotta hit Cradle bud. Two bike parks and the cradle loop itself

• 3 weeks later...

Was there this weekend, and plenty of maintenance has taken place; grass and bushes cut back, most of the jeep tracks are smoothed out (which i am not really a fan of).  Reserve looking nice. 

What I did notice was lots of new dirt roads have been cut through the reserve. I even got lost once as a result. Anyone know what the reserve is up to with these new roads?  

Was there this weekend, and plenty of maintenance has taken place; grass and bushes cut back, most of the jeep tracks are smoothed out (which i am not really a fan of).  Reserve looking nice. 

What I did notice was lots of new dirt roads have been cut through the reserve. I even got lost once as a result. Anyone know what the reserve is up to with these new roads?  

Rode there yesterday and last weekend- they've deff cleaned up the yellow route (in terms of black jacks) but was also wondering what the heck is going on with all the new roads which have been graded...

Honestly hoping that the developers aren't doing something shady...

If anyone knows, please let us know.

Honestly hoping that the developers aren't doing something shady...

If anyone knows, please let us know.

Same. Have dropped them a message on Facebook. Let's see what they say. Will post an update here.

Yep, I'm afraid Modders is not what it was. Living in Edenvale it was my favorite place to ride. Now i travel out back to my 2nd most favorite (now my 1st) Northern Farms.

It seems the organizers at modders have simply lost interest and now the reserve doesn't care but gladly take your entrance fee.

Cradle moon is a great ride too and not far from Northern Farm. Then there's buffelspoort an hour outside of JHB - damn fine selection of trails and distances. Edited by keithbe

I've been sick for a month so haven't had a chance to ride but my assumptions would be that the roads may very well be in a section that will be developed.

If you look at the attached map, the reserve in its final state will likely be much narrower than it is now meaning that the reeds section and all the current red/yellow routes over the hill at the back will actually be in a developed area.

This may also explain why only some of the route is not being maintained - when i last rode you could barely make out the full red route which lies in the non-reserve part between the river section and the dam on the left.

post-50555-0-43397100-1529345803_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nakoota

If you look at the attached map, the reserve in its final state will likely be much narrower than it is now meaning that the reeds section and all the current red/yellow routes over the hill at the back will actually be in a developed area.

Oh man, that is a pity. Such a great place to ride, and having it shortened will be rather sad.  Hopefully they cut some new trails in the remaining space. Thanks for sharing this

wow- much smaller very sad

will the red river section still remain?

how about the black route rocky sections?

I've been sick for a month so haven't had a chance to ride but my assumptions would be that the roads may very well be in a section that will be developed.

This may also explain why only some of the route is not being maintained - when i last rode you could barely make out the full red route which lies in the non-reserve part between the river section and the dam on the left.

wow- much smaller very sad

will the red river section still remain?

how about the black route rocky sections?

From my interpretation of the map, and seeing where the roads were cut, that part remains.

There are no New Roads.

All the old Jeep Tracks have been cleaned up and regraded. (pity)

Some of the places we cycle are outside of the designated Reserve (AECI Factory Land).

See You there Tomorrow @ 9 AM.

This morning we were stopped at the 1st gate by a security guard who told us that cyclists were not allowed access anymore.

In the year that we have lived here and ridden through that gate we have never seen a security guard.

Does anyone know what has changed?

I didn't know until now that the reserve is closed on a Monday, but then I only venture there on a Wednesday maybe and weekends.

Went there yesterday, had a fantastic ride (and a proper bail on the last downhill)! Noticed plenty of walkers on the MTB trails.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. This park is ~5min away from my office, so I'll be looking at doing a few after-work rides there on Fridays with some friends. Are there any jumps or features or is it aligned more towards XC/Trail riding?

Thanks for the feedback. This park is ~5min away from my office, so I'll be looking at doing a few after-work rides there on Fridays with some friends. Are there any jumps or features or is it aligned more towards XC/Trail riding?

No, no Proper Trail rides but its very well mixed between lekker single track and some proper uphill with nice flowing sections, Good Ride there any day of the week, the last downhill is Straight but can be hectic at speeds of more than 45km/h.