Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

Rode the "Ruins of Mordor" yesterday and must say i quite enjoyed it. Not as quick as Deonwes (above post) did it in but never the less was good fun. I don't think i would ride that area alone or every time i ride Modders, but overall was a good day out on the bike.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Can anybody tell me if you are allowed to ride on the walking trails at Modderfontein? I was there walking with my wife today, and some of those trails would be sweet to ride on, also saw a lot of bike tyre tracks on the trails. Would love to ride some of them, but I dont want to go ride them if it's not actually allowed

Can anybody tell me if you are allowed to ride on the walking trails at Modderfontein? I was there walking with my wife today, and some of those trails would be sweet to ride on, also saw a lot of bike tyre tracks on the trails. Would love to ride some of them, but I dont want to go ride them if it's not actually allowed

Out of respect to the walkers i wouldn't attempt riding the trails plus i don't think you actually allowed to.

Edited by slickjay007

Generally no - But i seen a lot of walkers and runners using the MTB trails, never had an issue with it as most move off the trail when they hear or see MTBers coming.

In my view just share the trails

Be Nice

Have respect for other users

Don't be a chop

I'd agree there's explicit MTB routes and walking routes and we shouldn't blur those lines. Of course there are a few of the jeep track bits that are shared.

I once tried to make my way out via the tar road as I was cramping and a reserve dude saw me and crapped me out . Even to the point of telling me to ride the wrong way up the ST rather than go on a route that's not for MTB. With the reserve no longer under management by nature reserve people, if we start doing whatever we want, soon enough it will be a free for all mess. There's still people riding against the new direction change even when it's pointed out to them.

Guess I will stick to the rules and not ride them rather, it is such a pity though, some of the trail we walked on would be really nice for the bikes

Edited by Chadvdw67

They should start making new routes soon, the old ones are getting badly rutted, keep things fresh, the the old ones can be rehabilitated.

They Should, I been there 2 Saturdays in a row and noticed less riders, say compared to last year.

• 2 weeks later...

Hope he/she is OK.

Not sure what maintenance can be done on that section.it has some ruts but it's actually a lot tamer compared to previous years. Make it any more gentle, and you going to have to start paving the single track.

It can be a tricky descent there. Some of the events don't use that section and use tar road back down.

Hope he/she is OK.

Not sure what maintenance can be done on that section.it has some ruts but it's actually a lot tamer compared to previous years. Make it any more gentle, and you going to have to start paving the single track.

It can be a tricky descent there. Some of the events don't use that section and use tar road back down.

You always have the option of using the paved road as a chicken run.

Hope the cyclist is ok.

Was there on Sunday after not having been there a while - that section is quite bad and I think that they've added in a gum pole midway which kinda took me by suprise....

• 3 weeks later...

Was there on Sunday after not having been there a while - that section is quite bad and I think that they've added in a gum pole midway which kinda took me by suprise....

Agree 100s...Rode there on Wednesday.

A few signs are pulled down off the poles sometimes difficult to find the correct route.

Trees fallen over the path again. A few wooden bridges looking suspect. 

Clowns still riding the wrong way around (the old anti-clock direction). Going to be an accident soon. There are some fast downs and someone will be riding up the wrong way...Don't think it's the signs, just people not giving a SH!T...Tried to tell 4 rides they were going the wrong way and all I got was "hello".

Really sad, a great place to ride and train. With summer coming, we will sit with the usual overgrown single track.

Someone really should take responsibility and care for the course! 

May need change venue to Rosmary Hill. A bit of a drive, but VERY well kept!

• 1 month later...

https://kemptonexpress.co.za/210679/mountain-biker-airlifted-modderfontein-reserve/

It was on Strava Segment

Fast Singletrack to Waterfall

I think the cyclist rode into a deep rut and wiped out. That segment of track needs some urgent maintenance as it has some of the deepest ruts that I've ever seen.

I hope he's OK.

Eish, this is the section I always go balls on trying to get the segment

Had a ride there on Wednesday night and met the lonely sole maintenance person that to the core employs. I gave Chris a ride back to Greenstone and we got to chatting after he asked me to tell him if and where any trees had fallen down. In the end he mentioned that he checks the to the core Facebook page and I made the suggestion that that could be used for us to highlight trail needs and then he would do what he could to address them quickly.

Apparently he's also just this week tried to fill the ruts and make a berm or two on the last fast single track.

Lets give feedback on Facebook and see what we can do to help the guy out!

Also had another thoughT to try do a community trail building day and turn last fast single track into a nice flow run with some jumps and berms.... Nice tar road for the transfer back up the hill