Tubeless on the road

Popit

Greeeaaat......

My Fusion 5 set should arrive any day now, but this statement does not give me happy thoughts :(

The GP4000SIIs I put on for the Argus were not too bad, but the Vittorias prior to that took me two days (I had to take a break, otherwise my brand-new-at-the-time wheels would have gone for flying lessons.)

They'll get on eventually, just use big plastic levers and be very careful to not scuff the rim tape. Warming the tyre might help too.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greeeaaat......

My Fusion 5 set should arrive any day now, but this statement does not give me happy thoughts :(

The GP4000SIIs I put on for the Argus were not too bad, but the Vittorias prior to that took me two days (I had to take a break, otherwise my brand-new-at-the-time wheels would have gone for flying lessons.)

Take it to lbs and have them fit it ... money well spent. :)

Otherwise use good tyre levers, be patient and consider asking for divine intervention. LOL

Sometimes you can get lucky and they pop right on.

Not sold on tubeless rims with tape - not at road tyre pressures.  Real UST rims + 25c Schwalbe Pro One TL + Stan's =  :thumbup:  

Don't use CO2 to inflate.

Something like Dynaplug products might be worth looking into as one does not need to carry adhesive which will dry out after one use.  They also have small and large plugs and you can use multiple plugs together.  The sharp tips on the plugs for small holes make me nervous and I would probably file them down just slightly.  http://www.dynaplug.com/products.html

Some companies like Lezyne make compact high pressure pumps which make inflating to tubeless pressure a doddle (and I'm a woman).

Guys, We did this video a few weeks back on tubeless tyres. 

Maybe have a look at this

Should put you mind to rest if you are worried about tubeless tyres and puncture protection.

Guys, We did this video a few weeks back on tubeless tyres. 

Maybe have a look at this

Should put you mind to rest if you are worried about tubeless tyres and puncture protection.

Definitley going to give the TUFO Extreme sealant a go.  Stans and Giant doesn't do the job.  Soon my saddlebag is going to look like a suitcase!

Not sold on tubeless rims with tape - not at road tyre pressures.  

If you're running tubeless @ road pressures, you're gonna have a bad time. Also, pretty much defeats the purpose of tubeless. Additionally, any sealant will get shot out the hole fast, leaving you with little sealant. If it seals, you'll be at a pressure you should have been anyway. so you'll have that going for you

PING Carbon29er

He has taken a break from bikehub. Hasn't been here for a while and he probably won't be back for a while longer still. But he was using schwalbe pro one.

He has taken a break from bikehub. Hasn't been here for a while and he probably won't be back for a while longer still. But he was using schwalbe pro one.

He certainly rated the Schwalbes highly as well as the Geax sealant if you can find it.

If you're running tubeless @ road pressures, you're gonna have a bad time. Also, pretty much defeats the purpose of tubeless. Additionally, any sealant will get shot out the hole fast, leaving you with little sealant. If it seals, you'll be at a pressure you should have been anyway. so you'll have that going for you

No man, I meant road tubeless pressure!  You cannot attain, say 5 bar with Lezyne's high volume compact pumps.  Well, maybe, but you'll either break the pump or give yourself a hernia! 

EDIT: It was my bad, as I did not clearly state that I wanted to compare road tubeless to MTB tubeless where pressure is way lower.

Edited by 2bliss

I'm running Schwalbe Pro One's - they went on easy enough with about 60ml sealant in each. Running them with 6 bar at the rear and 5 bar upfront.

So far no issues and enjoying the less bumpy pressures of tubed wheels. Argus done on the tubeless and a session at SBR. Pro ones were surprisingly grippy.

Thanks for the contribution but not true

8bar tubeless? not true? YT clip or it didn't happen :whistling:

Both my tubeless and non-tubeless tyres have a max pressure warning of 8 bar which is crazy hard.

I run my tyres at 7 bar no problem. When they have had a puncture they went down to between 4-6 bar. I've never stopped to inspect, just keep on rolling and pump them up again to 7bar when I get home. Rinse and repeat.

There is no crazy squirting out of sealant as you described

Both my tubeless and non-tubeless tyres have a max pressure warning of 8 bar which is crazy hard.

I run my tyres at 7 bar no problem. When they have had a puncture they went down to between 4-6 bar. I've never stopped to inspect, just keep on rolling and pump them up again to 7bar when I get home. Rinse and repeat.

There is no crazy squirting out of sealant as you described

What do I know? I run 60psi... and that was for Eroica - offroad. I'll probably run the same on tar

I had the same experience as patch when trying both Schwalbe one pro (awesome tire to ride on - super grippy and comfortable) as well as Giant gavia tubeless. Things started out great for the first few weeks on tubeless until getting glass cuts that resulted in holes that would either not seal, or randomly pop open. I tried to patch them with superglue and standard patches but they were never the same - I liked them enough to try two brands x2 tires - but considering the mess and the 1k a pop price tag I switched back to tubes. I use gatorskins for normal training rides and I've only ever had two "punctures" in a two year period both due to pinch flats because I got lazy and let the pressures drop to below 60psi and hit something on the road.

I still have wet dreams about the feel of the Schwalbe pro-ones ... but then I recall the cursing and sealant sticky mess of the reality while struggling to get the fscking tight tire onto the rim. Trying a few options and getting the same result at 1k a pop, I decided to go with the boring tube option - more riding, less fixing :).

Edited by Manuel De Jesus

Giant Gavia for the last month ... miles of smiles, however ... They dont like wet surfaces... almost came short in what was very easy simple turns . 

But overall , very sold on the softer ride  :thumbup: