Tubeless on the road

Popit

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have experience with the Giant Gavia tubeless tyres?

See to be a whole lot cheaper than other popular choices.

Does their performance match their price, or are they good value for money?

Been using Gavia on my propel for about 10 months .. No complaints whatsoever .. Ive switched to the 28mm a few weeks ago , loving it . Under R1000 for both was a no brainer

Been using Gavia on my propel for about 10 months .. No complaints whatsoever .. Ive switched to the 28mm a few weeks ago , loving it . Under R1000 for both was a no brainer

Me as well.  Still a bit scared as to what happens with a puncture or worse, a blow out.  I think the sealant will mess the other riders and nobody will want to ride close to you after that.

no problems atm. Just waiting.

Me as well.  Still a bit scared as to what happens with a puncture or worse, a blow out.  I think the sealant will mess the other riders and nobody will want to ride close to you after that.

no problems atm. Just waiting.

No need to be scared. Punctures are rare but when they happen, the air is expelled a lot slower than a tubed tyre, even with a large-ish hole. So very easy to stop safely. In most cases, the tyre seals and you only realise you had a "flat" when you see sealant on the seat tube. 

The sealant is the key. So far (I've been riding tubeless road for 3 years) I haven't found a decent sealant locally. The normal Stan's and the new Squirt sealant are pretty useless at pressure. The squirt sealant didn't even seal a tiny (tip of toothpick-sized) hole in my rear tyre. All the sealant leaked out in my garage (but it got me home without me even knowing there was a hole).

No need to be scared. Punctures are rare but when they happen, the air is expelled a lot slower than a tubed tyre, even with a large-ish hole. So very easy to stop safely. In most cases, the tyre seals and you only realise you had a "flat" when you see sealant on the seat tube. 

The sealant is the key. So far (I've been riding tubeless road for 3 years) I haven't found a decent sealant locally. The normal Stan's and the new Squirt sealant are pretty useless at pressure. The squirt sealant didn't even seal a tiny (tip of toothpick-sized) hole in my rear tyre. All the sealant leaked out in my garage (but it got me home without me even knowing there was a hole).

yep. have yet to find sealant that actually works at pressure.

i had a small puncture and all my stans road sealant came out.

i've now just put in OKO - i hope this does the trick

Have you tried the Finish Line sealant? It sounded promising when announced, supposed to never dry out, etc.

https://www.evobikes.co.za/components/finish-line-tyre-sealant-1l.html

Edit: Nevermind, just read a review, sounds like it doesn't dry out, but doesn't seal wonderfully either.

Edited by HdB

Has anyone found a sealant that seals above 4 bar?

Have seen so many guys and girls stranded with a half inflated tyre that won't seal.

What sealants are around which actually work in a road tire vs MTB tire?  

Surely there must be a difference due to tire pressures?

Anybody?

i dont know which brand of sealant i used.. black and green round bottle.. hit a pothole after trying to bunnyhop over it.. rear tire exploded (sealant sprayed all over my legs and rear), very sticky .

sealed up a cut about 10mm side to side . got me home and had 2 bar pressure next morning.

it would open up at around 7 bar but sealed up again instantly around 6 bar .

i will post the brand once i pop around to my Lbs

pity they weigh so much. 300g for a 25mm is quite portly 

I don't think that one goes tubeless to save weight.

Assuming one has wheels that are tubeless compatible (i.e. ignoring potential difference in wheel weight)

Tubeless tyre (300g) + sealant (60-90g) + valve (10g) = approx 400g

'Normal' tyre (215g) + tube (60-90g) = approx 300g

(welcome to check my assumptions and maths)