Tubeless on the road

Popit

Just out of interest, how much does it happen that you have to put the spare in? I am hoping that it is only in really exceptional conditions

The only time I got a flat on my road tubeless was when I hit a piece of metal in the road that cut the sidewall to shreds (actually had to patch the inside to be able to use the tyre with a tube at least as it was a brand new tyre on its first outing  :cursing: )

The only other time I'm aware of that I got a puncture that was an "issue" was once.  It sealed up and I got home (only noticed it at home as well) but anything above 4bar the seal would break that was the only one that required some attention after I got home.

Other than that no hassles when I'm out on them but ja if you do get a flat on them it's gonna be a bit of a pain to fit a tube (besides the mess those tyres are a :cursing:  to fit over the rim <_<)

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I got a flat on my road tubeless was when I hit a piece of metal in the road that cut the sidewall to shreds (actually had to patch the inside to be able to use the tyre with a tube at least as it was a brand new tyre on its first outing  :cursing: )

The only other time I'm aware of that I got a puncture that was an "issue" was once.  It sealed up and I got home (only noticed it at home as well) but anything above 4bar the seal would break that was the only one that required some attention after I got home.

Other than that no hassles when I'm out on them but ja if you do get a flat on them it's gonna be a bit of a pain to fit a tube (besides the mess those tyres are a :cursing:  to fit over the rim <_<)

Thanks for the feedback.

That actually puts my mind to rest about this issue.

I'll carry a tube with me but also a cellphone. I'll first phone my wife to come and pick me up, only if that fails will I try the tube insertion on the roadside.

• 3 months later...

Hi, I think you are all sorted with tubeless, just thought I would drop a note. I have been on tubeless road for 4 years, been through most of the brands of tyres and sealants. Tyre wise Hutchinson fusion 4 lasts the longest, specialized is the most comfortable grippy, but schwalbe pro one is by far the best tire all round.

Sealants. Stans really good keeps the tyres nice and balanced. Schwalbe focused blue is stans with other packaging, Sans race sealent is awesome but needs to be cleaned out every 2 months. Bontrager tlr sealent gets my vote as all round best. Seals better than stans at high pressure and lasts longer.

Word of note: as soon as the sealant gets hard and old.. you have to clean it out. And it's a mission to get off the inside of the tyres.

The hard sealant messes with the balance of the road tyres at high speeds.

Solution is to ride allot so you wear out the tyre before the sealent drys.

For cuts I use eaither tyre boots from sportsmen's warehouse. Or really well stuck on tube patches. Never had luck with the worms.

All the best

+1

One of the reasons why I am not keen (for now) to switch over to tubeless. The tyres are just too expensive. But I am sure the price would go down later in time. Then I will reconsider.

Tubeless tyres don't seem higher priced than similar performance non tubeless tyres. Gp4000s II cost me R875 ea with serial number....

I know that there are cheaper options in conventional but most tubeless tyres are high end rubber

i had a puncture that sealed up fairly quickly.

left a find spray of gunk on my frame that was a pain in the butt to clean off

Tubeless tyres don't seem higher priced than similar performance non tubeless tyres. Gp4000s II cost me R875 ea with serial number....

I know that there are cheaper options in conventional but most tubeless tyres are high end rubber

You're quite right on pricing - there isn't much difference.

Tubeless is still rather scarce locally with limited brand and model options.

That is slowly changing though.

Okay, you got me there.

But, I paid R350 per tyre for my Gatorskins on promotion (wire bead) and this will keep me running for the entire year if all goes well.

I never buy tyres at normal price, I just feel it is really expensive. If there is a promo, I will buy two or even four to keep me stocked up.

The Schwalbe Pro One goes for R995 (currently on special at EvoBikes) which is a lot a money for me for just one rubber.

On my MTB I did not spend that much too for a tubeless tyre. My Ikon's cost me R420 a tyre.

Also, touch wood, my puncture rate on the road bike has been all good this year. Only a total of 4 so far.

And being a light rider, I do run my tyre pressure a bit lower without any issues or pinch flats.

I used to buy tyres on special but now I'm very careful. I've had a few casings fail where the serial number was removed. One front tyre went snake on me coming down chappies. Wasn't fun.

I do use cheaper gatorskins on my training bike always with latex tubes (I love CRC).

But the problem with bike tyres is you have to use them. Old stock tends to crack up as the rubber is already hardening and they don't deliver maximum grip especially in the wet. So I suck up the cost and replace every 12-18months. Longer than that and the cracking starts.

They do last longer with latex tubes due to the self deflating properties taking the pressure off

I also heard a few scary stories about tyres without serial numbers...

Love the Gatorskins! They are almost bomb proof and I get a lot of mileage out of them.

True, good point. Interesting about the latex tubes. Never tried it as I know little about it. I am just running the classic Continental Race tubes.

Latex is great. Just have to be a little more careful when mounting them. Good rim tape and lots of talcum powder so they can move and they good for a year. Pushing the current pair to 2years.

Gatorskins are the best training tyre. I don't train outdoors in the wet so their less grippy than gp4000s nature isn't a hassle. Conti tyres are certainly benchmark tyres.

Don't you mean Fusion 3 or 5.?

I think Hutchinson skipped 4.

Apologies, yes you are correct, its the Fusion 3 that lasted well.  

Apologies, yes you are correct, its the Fusion 3 that lasted well.

I've had good experience with Fusion 3 too.

Don't see them much nowadays, so hoping 5's are as just as good if not better, for when I do need to replace.

Does anyone have experience with the Giant Gavia tubeless tyres?

See to be a whole lot cheaper than other popular choices.

Does their performance match their price, or are they good value for money?

Does anyone have experience with the Giant Gavia tubeless tyres?

See to be a whole lot cheaper than other popular choices.

Does their performance match their price, or are they good value for money?

Price makes them a tempting option.

I think the cheaper of the two options is R500 or thereabouts.?

No experience, but suspect they'll probably be more like "Gatorskins" rather than "GP4000" going by some reviews.

Horses for courses and perhaps worth a try when I need again.