The "I need something you might throw away" thread

Kalahari Vegmot

1 minute ago, Alouette3 said:

Use an old left hand front shifter. Pop it open, remove the ratcheting mechanism spring and you sorted and you will probably get one for free from someone

Shamelessly plugging 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it happened !! I stripped the pedal thread on the drive side crank. My intention is to buy the taps and inserts on my next trip to Germany.... but who knows when that gonna happen. 

In the mean time - does anyone have a SRAM GXP 104 BCD crankset laying in there spares box - maybe even just the Drive side - Its a long shot but i ask anyway. Mine is like in the pic below i found in classifieds which i'd buy but its 120 BCD and all my chain rings are oval 104 BCD

cranket-shifter-bundle-1633533367-5071_medium.jpg.a908413548bde29a4a36065b6e016e11.jpg

Screw the pedal in from the other side, the thread of the pedal is harder than the crank arm and will retap it. I know people will bash me for this advice but it really does work ????. 

PS: I do have an XT crank with a stuck pedal in the drive side which you can have 

26 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Screw the pedal in from the other side, the thread of the pedal is harder than the crank arm and will retap it. I know people will bash me for this advice but it really does work ????. 

PS: I do have an XT crank with a stuck pedal in the drive side which you can have 

Yep I done that hack already - so for now it works perfect but there is only about 1/3 good thread left, the rest of the hole is pretty hammered, so i'm sure it will fail at some point, which i don't mind as i will eventually get the taps and inserts from Germany and repair it properly - The problem is, knowing my luck, the next time it fails i'll be 40 km from my car - i'm not that good at 1 leg intervals ????

1 minute ago, madmarc said:

Yep I done that hack already - so for now it works perfect but there is only about 1/3 good thread left, the rest of the hole is pretty hammered, so i'm sure it will fail at some point, which i don't mind as i will eventually get the taps and inserts from Germany and repair it properly - The problem is, knowing my luck, the next time it fails i'll be 40 km from my car - i'm not that good at 1 leg intervals ????

How bout some Helicoils? I am sure that it will work. 

1 minute ago, madmarc said:

If I may ask, how did it happen?  I had lots of pedal strikes in the past and broke one pedal and damaged some others, but never managed to strip the thread on the crank, so not sure how that happen ....

4 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

How bout some Helicoils? I am sure that it will work. 

Problem is finding an imperial 9/16 X 20TPI helicoil - I looked before and couldn't find any - We live in a metric country so imperial is like hens teeth

6 minutes ago, TheoG said:

If I may ask, how did it happen?  I had lots of pedal strikes in the past and broke one pedal and damaged some others, but never managed to strip the thread on the crank, so not sure how that happen ....

I used cheap plastic flat pedals as a temp try to see if i like flats - I think the the cheap pedal threads are slightly different so while they might feel tight with some riding and force on the pedal it eventually stripped the thread   

17 minutes ago, madmarc said:

I used cheap plastic flat pedals as a temp try to see if i like flats - I think the the cheap pedal threads are slightly different so while they might feel tight with some riding and force on the pedal it eventually stripped the thread   

Ok, that make sense.  So goedkoop is duurkoop ????.

Knipe Racing has just replaced a drive side thread for me last week, they use inserts which as much better then using a Helicoil. R380

13 hours ago, Alouette3 said:

Knipe Racing has just replaced a drive side thread for me last week, they use inserts which as much better then using a Helicoil. R380

Thats a bargain when you are in a jam.  Only problem is madmarc is up in Gauteng.

Hi there,

Im looking for a remote lockout that will fit my Rockshox Reba. I bought it with the shock bit installed, but not the remote switch.

Any help/advice woukd be appreciated 

20211009_105014.jpg

14 minutes ago, jokerman923@gmail.com said:

Hi there,

Im looking for a remote lockout that will fit my Rockshox Reba. I bought it with the shock bit installed, but not the remote switch.

Any help/advice woukd be appreciated 

20211009_105014.jpg

I used an old 2x shifter as a lockout. You need to press it twice though to lockout but works like a charm

Edited by PappaWatTrap

Anybody have a 32 hole 29er MTB rim in straight and round condition they no longer need? I need to do a rebuild, and the lab says no stock of anything.

Edited by TNT1