Hackster

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Smash the children in the short race!

No don't. That is a jerk move.

A hard faught second place against your peers beats and easy win against beginners hands down.

When I was riding seriously as a 20something year old I was away in a 2 "man" break with a youngster at some or other church race in the middle of nowhere. That youngster rode his heart out and attacked me on the last climb. I could have easily chased him down (he was 16ish) but I didn't. The look on his and his folks faces at the end proved I made the right decision.

Ha! And folks want to complain about 'entitled millennials' who just want everything gifted to them. 

Wins are to be earned, not gifted. #pitywin

Maybe a SLIGHT edit in that Half distances give prizes to U/18 and U16 etc

Thank you. This is where the problem lies.

I once saw a 30 something year old standing on the podium next to 2 little lighties because he "beat" them at the 20km race and collected a prize. He looked a bit silly standing up there next to the 2 kids.

I once saw a 30 something year old guy beat a 12 year old girl by about 4 seconds in a 20km race, to take first place.  For about a year after that he kept reminding all his friends on Facebook that he had won a race.

If there is a shorter road distance the MTB comes out to play and my mission is to stick with the front guys as long as I can even attempting to sprint for 6th or 7th place...

MTB races do the long route and take a serving of cement !

Reminds me of the incident where at the SA's Mighty Mouse for a bit more competition wanted to race at age category below his. Riders in the age category he wanted to compete in  protested and moaned. 

87e758fc383c0076f3a511482ecb51bf.jpg

There is it.

Combined Argus and oceans times. Third time winning for Will.

helps that he has the fastest times for both....

Ha! And folks want to complain about 'entitled millennials' who just want everything gifted to them. 

Wins are to be earned, not gifted. #pitywin

I agree! More of a lesson in coming second than winning based on pity

:eek:

These events can be won by anyone? Why are there no classifications into age groups? I don't believe in backing down in competition, but it seems a bit silly to be competing against kids. 

Simple. If you can legaly race in said distance (ie: right age group, bike, etc), and you can win, then win. If you step aside for someone else to win they aren't really winning are they?

I'm speaking from a place of not being competitive at any level, but sure wouldn't feel like I won a race if everyone in front of me slowed down or did not compete to "give me a crack at it".