Stolen bikes at avianto

Craai

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd be surprised how many high-end mountain bikes one sees on the streets of Maputo...

I work here for the last 4 years and see very few

No one rides bikes here except the serious cyclists

The few commuters I have seen ride vrot old bikes that no one would want to steal

You'd be surprised how many high-end mountain bikes one sees on the streets of Maputo...

No doubt all ridden by seasoned MTB riders just on their way to the cafe or local spaza shop/shebeen. 

The few commuters I have seen ride vrot old bikes that no one would want to steal

Exactly, we have a client in Moz and I have never seen a high end bike being ridden there.

I think this “they go to Moz” theory is an easy and irresponsible way for us to dimiss the far more likely theory..... that we buy the stolen stuff, because we are suckers for a deal and don’t ask questions when we know we should.

Exactly, we have a client in Moz and I have never seen a high end bike being ridden there.

I think this “they go to Moz” theory is an easy and irresponsible way for us to dimiss the far more likely theory..... that we buy the stolen stuff, because we are suckers for a deal and don’t ask questions when we know we should.

I was there for a few weeks on business a few years back and was surprised by the number of seriously high-end bikes being ridden by what I assume were "serious cyclists". They weren't commuters.

Not suggesting they all end up there, but I was surprised.

I agree that many (most?) likely end up as "deals" locally.

I was there for a few weeks on business a few years back and was surprised by the number of seriously high-end bikes being ridden by what I assume were "serious cyclists". They weren't commuters.

Yeah I pretty sure there must a good few guys who have awesome bikes, and no doubt that some do end up there.

I think my response was more about the general acceptance on the Hub that MOST of them end up there, and that it’s those pesky Mozambicans who are the criminals. Because how dare we even think that John Smith, mid level manager at Corporate XYZ would ever buy a stolen bike or groupo.

Apologies if my post came across as a crappy reponse to your post, was not the intention.

Edited by Patchelicious

Where does one pick up a deal like this? I've only ever had expensive bikes offered to me  :thumbdown:

How did the security just let him drive out?

Same as everyone else... they probably just assumed he was a cyclist on the way out after his ride and coffee. 

Same as everyone else... they probably just assumed he was a cyclist on the way out after his ride and coffee. 

Do they photograph every one who drives out?4 times?

Do they photograph every one who drives out?4 times?

Good point.... I just assumed it was paused video footage from CCTV camera, but I see now it's not.

I imagine it's like some of the shopping centres , you press the button to get out , and it takes a pic of you . 2nd of car and 3rd of number plate and by pressing button you have consented to photo being taken

Brazen theft of someone's pride and joy like that is the lowest of lows , hope culprit gets caught and punished. 

Anyone remember when used car parts industry was linked to car hijackings?

I remember quite recently hearing about cars that were jacked being discovered 6 hours later stripped to the bone.