Karoo to Coast

Marichen

Good evening bike hubbers

Recently I entered the Karoo to Coast. Super excited about it, but now I seriously need to start training and not only do social rides

Thank you in advance

Hey, OP, did you ride ?

If so, how did it go ?

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering, are there many that start and not finish? Racetec has 3152 finishers, the announcer claimed 3500 entries. Do we have a way to know how many didn't start or were not wearing chip boards? Is there a cut-off?

My girlfriend and I didn't start. So there's at least 2.

My girlfriend and I didn't start. So there's at least 2.

My swarrie also didn't start, and I know of at least three other people that also didn't start.

I can see how it quickly adds up to 1350 people not starting/finishing. Saw two big sweeper trucks arriving at the showgrounds after prize giving with around 20-30 people on each.

There are also people that did it without a chip so CSA wont give them a headache unless they troll strava...

Really? I have not paid my CSA in ages and still enter most races. 

I nearly did not start, as I was feeling a bit of a cold creep up on me all weekend. Due to being as stubborn as an ass, I lined up for the start on Sunday. First half of the Ouwapad went swimmingly, then all of a sudden my HR parked at 193, and I pulled left and walked a fair bit. The descent was a blast, and I managed to get a PR on that drop. The climb out of Avontuur made me aware of the state of things to come, and I was not wrong. Every hill after that became progressively worse, until I finally blew up going up the back of Simola.

I did not have any issues with the descents, apart from the drop to Kom se Pad. There I knew I was in trouble.

Also, I passed what looked to me like a bunch crash on the descent to De Vlugt, and there was a lady lying in the road, looking to be in a bad way. She had this catatonic stare, and I think she hit her head fairly hard. The ambulance was a couple turns back at that stage, with one of the quad-bike marshals storming up the hill. Does anyone know if she is okay?

All in all, this was my worst showing yet, as I posted a 7h36...I very nearly called it a day at the water point at the start of Kom se Pad. Still, the beers at the finish were well worth the effort of getting there.

I nearly did not start, as I was feeling a bit of a cold creep up on me all weekend. Due to being as stubborn as an ass, I lined up for the start on Sunday. First half of the Ouwapad went swimmingly, then all of a sudden my HR parked at 193, and I pulled left and walked a fair bit. The descent was a blast, and I managed to get a PR on that drop. The climb out of Avontuur made me aware of the state of things to come, and I was not wrong. Every hill after that became progressively worse, until I finally blew up going up the back of Simola.

Bless you, good man.

Also well done on finishing despite the tough day!  But probably don't start if you are sick again in future, we need your kind on this earth.

CSA is from the devil!!!

Rode a couple of CSA events as a non member in the last 4 years with no problems.

Paid CSA to do TB and K2C and didn't start one of them this year.

So Csa has serious issues but our sport very obviously needs a governing body and rules. Without sanctioning you get to ride with dopers and mechanical dopers aka e bikes. Doesn't say much about our sport or ourselves. By not paying Csa are we not making our sport ethically and morally poorer and are we perhaps throwing the baby out with the bathwater . Can we become part of an active solution instead of just whining

Take the CSA  bitching and moaning to the proper thread.

I was a bit disappointed with the 2 water tables I stopped at. I didn't see much to eat and the coke/water/powerade/game wasn't cold. Maybe I just missed the good stuff?

Really? I have not paid my CSA in ages and still enter most races. 

It only effects riders with a full racing licence.

I had a really good experience. Aimed for a sub 5, managed 05:07.

Registration was the worst of the 3 times I have done the race. The lady posted at Batch C was really helpfull and found my board within seconds.

The lady posted at Batch E did not have a clue... I had to look for the numbers through all other +-450 entrants.

Water tables had everything I needed. Salt potatoes and water. Only stopped at Buffelsnek to fill my waterbottle.

Ou Wapad was a breeze. Just a few tandems that was double parked...

Next year I will be back for my Sub 5.

Not nice reaching your goal with 3.3km to go.

Did a 6:06 in 2016, 05:30 in 2017.

04:45 in 2019

It only effects riders with a full racing licence.

Racing shmacing. I do pay my PPA membership as I tend to take part in a lot of their events. But yeah, there are proper threads for the world VS CSA.

Registration for me was easy as always, not too many people at the A table. Kinda wonder how many people are going to throw away their number boards and get a new one next time? My board is pretty much cover in race stickers by now. 

Take the CSA  bitching and moaning to the proper thread.

I was a bit disappointed with the 2 water tables I stopped at. I didn't see much to eat and the coke/water/powerade/game wasn't cold. Maybe I just missed the good stuff?

I have to agree... Water tables was terrible. I have done a few races and seriously, they could have done better.

My board is pretty much cover in race stickers by now. 

You do know you can peel them of right?  :D