All things Team Qhubeka NextHash

Eldron

I feel for you! We are an Amatuer bunch of misfits and we also get CV's from people's parents wanting their kid to ride for Pure Savage as the next this and that! 

So for someone with no actual pro team getting requests I can imagine your inbox must be crazy!

I suppose asking for people to have common sense is not enough for them to stop thinking that being a part of club translates into a position of getting on to a professional team?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Beers not riding PT or PC had nothing to do with his ability in terms of physiology and commitment to what it takes. He can do that with no thought pattern. Him returning to SA was a personal matter which changed overnight. I know this cause I had to book his flight home in literally 10min at 9pm while he was on route to the airport. 

However, when these things happen, opportunities are moved and so forth. 

I think it can be very hard for people to divorce what you do as a coach from that which a sports manager would be required to do while somehow thinking you do both jobs for your athletes???? Seems something of a foolish notion to me. At least it is clear in my mind that a coach is not a sports manager. Although I assume there are a few who are the exception to the rule. 

That said the fact that Matt isn't with the team any more (at least to my best knowledge) speaks volumes of how high the standard is at Pro Continental and WT level is not withstanding any potential ideas or vision that the individual athlete might have with regards to his (or her) career. You'll obviously have a much better understanding of exactly how high that standard is and I don't think that Matt not making the cut (for a lack of a better phrase) means he is a poor athlete but rather emphasises the level of sacrifice and commitment required to a member of a pro team never mind being in with a chance of winning at the highest level. The Pro Continental & WT guys and girls really are the top 1% of the racing elites. 

Im not a sports manager or agent and have never claimed to be, I also do not sell the dream of "train with me and I will get you a Pro contract" if you good enough, you will go further than the next person on merit and all those things attached. 

However I have done the likes of deciding if a kid does home schooling or not, taken a young guy for his 1st shot at the Dr for a itchy winky cause he was naughty and couldn't tell his folks to paying for hotels, flights and sitting in contract negotiations and everything in-between and never getting a cent or thanks back. 

But Im not a manager and will never want to be and definitely wont sell the dream to any kid or his parents for a pay check. 

Also don’t forget that many cyclists at continental level don’t even get a salary.Its only once you start getting higher that you start earning.

I want to throw you a curveball John.

At what age do you recon if you haven’t broken into a continental team or higher should you be looking at plan B.

I ask because as you know there are many kids in late 20’s early 30’s still trying to break in.What age is too late if at that age you still racing local?

After seeing the other day what power Beers hold during his 10min efforts I can absolutely believe he wasn't sent back due to not having the "numbers'.

(563W for 10min FYI)

Beers not riding PT or PC had nothing to do with his ability in terms of physiology and commitment to what it takes. He can do that with no thought pattern. Him returning to SA was a personal matter which changed overnight. I know this cause I had to book his flight home in literally 10min at 9pm while he was on route to the airport. 

However, when these things happen, opportunities are moved and so forth. 

I had assumed that Beers had a reason for not continuing on with Team UAE and it had nothing to do with him not being good enough. I simply assumed that he liked riding and racing his mountain bike more than he did his road bike. I am sure that he will make the very best of the opportunities that comes his way.

I want to throw you a curveball John.

At what age do you recon if you haven’t broken into a continental team or higher should you be looking at plan B.

I ask because as you know there are many kids in late 20’s early 30’s still trying to break in.What age is too late if at that age you still racing local?

If the  Primož Roglič story is true and has not been given too much artistic licence then you can start cycling at 23 and still make it as a pro  ;)

Im not a sports manager or agent and have never claimed to be, (A) I also do not sell the dream of "train with me and I will get you a Pro contract" if you good enough, you will go further than the next person on merit and all those things attached.

However I have done the likes of deciding if a kid does home schooling or not, taken a young guy for his 1st shot at the Dr for a itchy winky cause he was naughty and couldn't tell his folks to paying for hotels, flights and sitting in contract negotiations and everything in-between and never getting a cent or thanks back. (B)

But Im not a manager and will never want to be and definitely wont sell the dream to any kid or his parents for a pay check.

(A) I was trying to point out that some people seem to be very confused as to what your exact role of coach entails and then somehow require that you fulfil a much larger role based on their flawed understanding. Which is obviously wrong. As for Beers we all know he got offered the opportunity that he was because he is an outstanding and highly talented athlete, nothing more nothing less.

(B) Seems that you've gone the extra mile for a lot of people who probably didn't deserve it. I am going to take that with the Home schooling decision it was based on giving the kid the best opportunity to succeed at whatever sport he or she was focusing on?

Edited by Mntboy

If the  Primož Roglič story is true and has not been given too much artistic licence then you can start cycling at 23 and still make it as a pro  ;)

If you are a one a million athlete.

Remember, he was at the top of his game in downhill skiing prior to two wheels.

Like Evnepoel, prior to cycling he played soccer for the national u/23 team or whatever.

Like Our good old Jonty Rhodes, coulda been the best at hockey or cricket or probably anything he set his hand at. 

The guys with the genetic advantage always shine through.

I had assumed that Beers had a reason for not continuing on with Team UAE and it had nothing to do with him not being good enough. I simply assumed that he liked riding and racing his mountain bike more than he did his road bike. I am sure that he will make the very best of the opportunities that comes his way.

Dunno the guy or the circumstances, but looking at John's tale as an outsider, I would disagree with your statement.

Dunno the guy or the circumstances, but looking at John's tale as an outsider, I would disagree with your statement.

I suppose we shall have to wait and see. However I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt due to not knowing the specifics his situation and because I know he is good enough based on John Wakefield's statements on him.

I suppose we shall have to wait and see. However I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt due to not knowing the specifics his situation and because I know he is good enough based on John Wakefield's statements on him.

Again, completely as an outsider, what I see of the pro tour, you grasp your opportunity when the door opens. I get that people have different levels as to what they will sacrifice to achieve their goal, but who knows if a door will open again.

This is a very good post and observation and not uncommon at all. As an example, last year when Matt Beers did a staigaire gig on the team many thought it was cause I made it happen. It was actually not the case.

I was asked by management "tell us about your mountain bike boys" being Alan and Matt. I did so and then had to provide a full package of info of a physiological profile, test data etc. Then they decided to bring Matt over for a gig. Alan had the XC deal so it wouldn't work.

From that being public I had a massive influx of stuff from every parent to rider who wanted me to "get my kid on the team" I got CV's, race results, marriage to their 1st daughter and everything in-between. I even got asked to then put their kid on NAD cause Matt was leaving. Some of it was surreal. The best was "if I coach with you, will you make it happen?"

No I wont.

When you looked at the CV's and profiles the difference is so great that you have to think how they got to the point that they think their kid is this level. I would explain at times how big a gap is and the 1 example was "your son is 20min of Matt on average in results on a 1 day race in SA, the routes are easy and you want to go WT?"

I was sent power numbers as a once off best - I explained that your sons best 8min on a road bike up Hels is what Matt does for 30min x 3 on a mtb on gravel. 

I was often told I was a **** for this and not being able to help.

However, they are still lead to believe and pushed into this situation and to me it is sad and worrying to see but I also do understand it. 

Even now since the Tour is over, the communication I have gotten for this type of thing is alot, along with the requests for bottles, yellow jerseys etc from people I do not know or have met.

My 2c.

and on that note John, where's my Colnago?  I understand you have a busy schedule so I can wait.

You get it in every sport.  Kid comes 3rd in the U10's competing against four other surfers and his parents think he's going on the world tour. That's the problem with the eveyones a winner culture

Meanwhile there are kids with nothing sharing bikes/surfboards/golf clubs with genuine hunger and proper talent.

This is a very good post and observation and not uncommon at all. As an example, last year when Matt Beers did a staigaire gig on the team many thought it was cause I made it happen. It was actually not the case.

I was asked by management "tell us about your mountain bike boys" being Alan and Matt. I did so and then had to provide a full package of info of a physiological profile, test data etc. Then they decided to bring Matt over for a gig. Alan had the XC deal so it wouldn't work.

From that being public I had a massive influx of stuff from every parent to rider who wanted me to "get my kid on the team" I got CV's, race results, marriage to their 1st daughter and everything in-between. I even got asked to then put their kid on NAD cause Matt was leaving. Some of it was surreal. The best was "if I coach with you, will you make it happen?"

No I wont.

When you looked at the CV's and profiles the difference is so great that you have to think how they got to the point that they think their kid is this level. I would explain at times how big a gap is and the 1 example was "your son is 20min of Matt on average in results on a 1 day race in SA, the routes are easy and you want to go WT?"

I was sent power numbers as a once off best - I explained that your sons best 8min on a road bike up Hels is what Matt does for 30min x 3 on a mtb on gravel.

I was often told I was a **** for this and not being able to help.

However, they are still lead to believe and pushed into this situation and to me it is sad and worrying to see but I also do understand it.

Even now since the Tour is over, the communication I have gotten for this type of thing is alot, along with the requests for bottles, yellow jerseys etc from people I do not know or have met.

My 2c.

That's messed up.

Not you ..the parents

At least you are honest with them.. a lot coaches (esp in tennis) spin a massive BS story that their kid is the next Federer nonsense to get get to join their expensive full time academies..the kids just end up burning out..[emoji2959]

Edited by Gen

Again, completely as an outsider, what I see of the pro tour, you grasp your opportunity when the door opens. I get that people have different levels as to what they will sacrifice to achieve their goal, but who knows if a door will open again.

this trumped any open door or sacrifice. Similar situation I had in Feb when I called the head DS at 9pm and said I won’t be at a important week long Tour the next day and flew back to SA at 9:30am instead to be with family as it was more important.

I could of lost my job but it wasn’t worth keeping over this.

Edited by J Wakefield