216 members have voted

1. 1. What size bike do you ride?

• XS (Extra Small)
    • S (Small)
    • M (Medium)
    • L (Large)
    • XL (Extra Large)

1.72 and on a medium.

Can swop between small and medium depending on what I'm wanting the bike to be able to do.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1.78m. Large or Medium depending on the bike. You're definitely not the only guy on an XL - 3 out of 5 of the people I ride with regularly are on XL frames.

2018 Trance's are flipen sought after bikes, the more likely factor for few nibbles/bites is probably your price.

Ride an XL and battled with selling my previous bike (also an XL)...until I dropped my price to being a steal. If you're selling second hand I've come to realise it's because you're doing just that, selling, and not because you're using the funds to sponsor the next project. The second hand market is not a place to try make money or recoup funds, imo at least. 

I had considered that price might be a factor, but it's currently listed for R19k and retails for R32k, so I thought that's a pretty decent price? I would certainly have jumped at the opportunity if such a deal came a long back when I was looking for a bike last year. I've seen 2015 Trances sell for more.

That being said, the XL market is pretty niche and the likelihood is that I'll have to push that price to the point where it's almost too good not to take. I have to be out of country in the next two weeks, so things are going to get interesting :)

186 and on an XL.

Current brand of bike large cut off at 185cm. Had a L previously as per recommendation from bike shop.

Seat post was extended past point of safety and had to get an XL after a few months of complaining....

1.76m On a Momsen Large.I am also on that awkward height between M and L frames. I find I most often prefer a large.

My commuter, Fuji CX frame is a 58cm but it is ever so slightly to big.

I had considered that price might be a factor, but it's currently listed for R19k and retails for R32k, so I thought that's a pretty decent price? I would certainly have jumped at the opportunity if such a deal came a long back when I was looking for a bike last year. I've seen 2015 Trances sell for more.

That being said, the XL market is pretty niche and the likelihood is that I'll have to push that price to the point where it's almost too good not to take. I have to be out of country in the next two weeks, so things are going to get interesting :)

Even if the 2018 model retails for R32k, it's likely not even you paid that for it new (assuming your struck a deal for a sale - as we all do). The 2019 models are also soon to be released to market so the price for a new 2018 will likely drop even lower and perhaps closer to your asking price (guess +/- R24k). Add that XL's are a more niche market and it makes things tricky.

I also doubt 2015 Trances sold for as much as what you're asking for yours...they may have been advertised for more but I suspect the final selling price was lower. Cash is king and what not. If you're looking for a quick sale you will likely have to make peace with the lowest amount you'd be "happy" to take 

I sold my Trance for 18k, 6 months old at the time - also retailed for 32k. I started at 23k and just had to keep dropping till it sold. But you're right, I wouldn't say your price is particularly high.

Maybe it's the combination of XL and 650b wheels. Don't know if it is true, but 29er trail bikes are becoming increasingly popular, I would imagine more so amongst the guys riding XL.

I sold my Trance for 18k, 6 months old at the time - also retailed for 32k. I started at 23k and just had to keep dropping till it sold. But you're right, I wouldn't say your price is particularly high.

Maybe it's the combination of XL and 650b wheels. Don't know if it is true, but 29er trail bikes are becoming increasingly popular, I would imagine more so amongst the guys riding XL.

I'd also say it's a tough market at the moment. You see alot of bikes not moving and some high end bikes going for a song. 

I am between a XL and XXL at 194cm .I buy all my bikes at 40% discount because the market is so small for my size that i will always find my size at a discount new or used .When i sell them i don,t lose that much . 

Edited by Blitzer

177 and I am on a very uncomfortable border between medium and large. 

1.78m and also sit on the border ... have been going large the last few bikes, and very happy that I have been doing so.

I am between a XL and XXL at 194cm .I buy all my bikes at 40% discount because the market is so small for my size that i will always find my size at a discount new or used .When i sell them i don,t lose that much . 

You and I are in the same boat then. I'm 196cm so I was afraid to go for a Large, but considering the present predicament, one thing is for sure: I won't buy a new bike again. It's all classifieds from here :P

Was just about to say. It kinda makes ergonomic sense to be on a 29er with a frame that size. Bigger people probably feel more comfortable with bigger wheels I guess. I don't think the asking price for the trance is too much either. But its all relative and in the end it really is a buyers market.

Having said that take a look at your poll. You only have 2 votes for those riding small frames. One being myself. And the other being Myles since he's too babbelas to understand the question. Selling smalls are a real pain. Nearly every bike I've sold was to some dad getting something for his laatie. Sometimes I feel like I'm like the only kortgat riding bike.

Was just about to say. It kinda makes ergonomic sense to be on a 29er with a frame that size. Bigger people probably feel more comfortable with bigger wheels I guess. I don't think the asking price for the trance is too much either. But its all relative and in the end it really is a buyers market.

Having said that take a look at your poll. You only have 2 votes for those riding small frames. One being myself. And the other being Myles since he's too babbelas to understand the question. Selling smalls are a real pain. Nearly every bike I've sold was to some dad getting something for his laatie. Sometimes I feel like I'm like the only kortgat riding bike.

Personally, I actually prefer some nice fat 650B's over 29s. The 29s just feel dog slow in the corners. The 650B is nice and nippy like my old 26" used to feel. But let's not start THAT debate again :D :D :D

As for the size, I guess it sucks being on either side of the size spectrum, with short people only benefiting from the fact that hardly anything can ever be too small for them, whereas that's an issue us tall manne face every day, especially with the likes of bicycles, bikes and cars. I love superbikes but look like a circus bear on all of them :(

182cm, M on my 29r, L (58cm I think) on my road bike.

I should probably look at a slightly smaller frame, M or 56cm, when I upgrade my road bike.

1.75... Small or Medium depending on stand over height.

I have the legs of a 7 year old child and the body and arms of an NBA player.

(Or basically just built like a gorilla)