Bicycling Magazine Loss of Values

jandemoerin

Yup and in Victorian times things were also different. Shall we go back to dresses down to the ankles and start using proper English again. Don't confuse morals with being verbally expressive. I swear and I flip the bird...does not mean I am not a moral nor righteous person

I fully appreciate being verbally expressive.

I equally do not appreciate the use of blatantly foul language  which I believe is becoming increasingly visible in our daily lives. (general topic now.. I have not read the article)

The further we push the envelope, the further these traits (morals, ethics, etc) change in reality. 

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah, so now I know what the warning on the spine of the mag is on about re the use of foul language contained within...(my deduction from this observation is that people are generally not really observant at all, it would seem.)

I bought the mag, but since then have not had the impetus to actually resort to reading it as of yet...

Suppose your wife is was on the receiving end of filthy sign language like that from a strange man like that!

My wife is Irish. With flaming red hair.

She’ll be fine. Not so sure about the guy giving the sign though - depends how she feels on the day I suppose. At a minimum, she will have a few choice words for him.

I fully appreciate being verbally expressive.

I equally do not appreciate the use of blatantly foul language which I believe is becoming increasingly visible in our daily lives. (general topic now.. I have not read the article)

The further we push the envelope, the further these traits (morals, ethics, etc) change in reality.

I agree...when a F is used in place of a suitable adjective I have an issue with that.. But sometimes a F can be a very suitable adjective in its own right.

South Africa, on the whole, is an extremely conservative nation. This had become abundantly clear from the outside looking in. I am pleased my girls grew up in that environment. However....This is largely driven from the schooling system (model C) which I believe needs to lighten up a bit.

My wife is Irish. With flaming red hair.

She’ll be fine. Not so sure about the guy giving the sign though - depends how she feels on the day I suppose.

I think OP would fall over himself if he spent a day in an Irish workplace....

I think OP would fall over himself if he spent a day in an Irish workplace....

or a CT building site :P

It's Friday... no it's Monday... no it's Friday! 

Jeez, I heard a lot worse than that on the trails this weekend and at the local school rugby match but I get the original sentiment. Personally I'm not too bothered by 2 small things in an entire mag but it kinda smacks of desperation from the editors. Ohhh, naughty words! Bovered, not bovered. 

only thing more despicable is if someone sells their Orange Stage 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's Friday... no it's Monday... no it's Friday! 

Jeez, I heard a lot worse than that on the trails this weekend and at the local school rugby match but I get the original sentiment. Personally I'm not too bothered by 2 small things in an entire mag but it kinda smacks of desperation from the editors. Ohhh, naughty words! Bovered, not bovered. 

So lets close this thread.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

oh wow.

so they did know about it.

it was an actual ploy.

I expect them to lose some readership over this move. who knows how many they will gain.

will the last reader of this magazine please turn the lights off when they go.

Feeling rather apathetic...  I've stopped reading the Bicycling magazine a long time ago, not as much because I've noticed the "loss of values", but rather because I noticed a loss in value!

OP might or might not have a point, depending on moral values or lack thereof...

To each his own.

Same here, but for the only version. Every second email was how to climb beter, faster, stronger, but none of it was especially new or contributing to the gains by simply cycling more hills!

For the ones saying "its everywhere, get used to it" - its everywhere because it's allowed to be everywhere. What about the time darren simpson used Afrikaans profanity over the radio thinking it was acceptable? Next moment your kid comes to you, telling you to stop talking *** and you'll have just as hard a time to teach them its wrong when their local celebs condone it.

In spite of this, I agree that "its everwhere", but a quote I like to keep in mind is this:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to him. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." (George Bernard Shaw)

So just like advocating safe/legal cycling practice like not riding abreast on public roads, stopping at stop intersections and signalling when turning, we should advocate and be the changes we want to see in society. So if you're one of those that don't mind the profanities and poor form, that is perfectly reasonable, but don't deny the people that disagree.

Archived