Opening a 50 year old bicycle toolbox

Chatman

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would put the few spanners that might come in handy on top and leave the rest at the bottom of the toolbox for another 50 years.

Hi guys. I was given an old toolbox by my future father in law. It belonged to his father (grandfather?) I will confirm. He was quite the avid cyclist so I'm sure there are some interesting things inside. I know very little of these relics (some are obvious) but maybe some of you know what some of these items are? 

I hope some of these pics are a "blast from the past" for you.

If anyone has an idea of what I should do with all this stuff let me know. 

I would hang onto it.

Contact Nils at Woodstock Cycles in Cape Town. That oke has similar treasure and will really appreciate what you have in that trunk or he'll tell you it's junk.

The Black spanner in img 0376 seems to be related to a BB? Can loose cog or other classic rebuilders confirm?

I have a early 80's Zeus roadbike, and if you are serious about paying it forward, I would be happy to receive it. I will in turn, as these things work pay something forward.

Worthless rubbish.

PM your address please.

Ill send somebody to collect so that we can throw that crap away.

Youre welcome

Sounds like you work on an oil rig............

OP, WOW man some really cool stuff there. My toppie has a few tools like those as well and they still work hundreds, in fact sometimes I prefer the old stuff over the newer tools. The tools will always come in handy, the spares, unless you plan a few retro builds you will never use them.

Hi guys. I was given an old toolbox by my future father in law. It belonged to his father (grandfather?) I will confirm. He was quite the avid cyclist so I'm sure there are some interesting things inside. I know very little of these relics (some are obvious) but maybe some of you know what some of these items are? 

I hope some of these pics are a "blast from the past" for you.

If anyone has an idea of what I should do with all this stuff let me know. 

Nice. Just FYI, if your in-law's family name is Coppi, Anquetil or Merckx then you may want to hang on to these. 

Contact Nils at Woodstock Cycles in Cape Town. That oke has similar treasure and will really appreciate what you have in that trunk or he'll tell you it's junk.

Thanks, will do

Where you based? We needing use of that 6 point bottom bracket tool for an old Colnago!

I live in Johannesburg. Fly down once in a while. Can PM and chat, I might be there soon. 

• 4 weeks later...

I would go about it like this:

1. Get someone like Loose Cog or Hey You (retro encyclopedias) look at all the parts

2. Pic the rarest / most unusual / most valuable / one you like best part from your box of goodies

3. Find out what era it is from 

4. Find out what kind of bike it would be considered ideal for 

5. Start searching for the right frame in your size 

6. Start searching for a groupset to match 

7. Start searching for wheels, components etc 

8. Go do a spannering course

9. Build it

10. Come ride Eroica SA in Montagu with team DJR next March - or go ride it in Italy / France / Britain /Japan / California

Ps But that's just me, and I'm a bit weird

Pps I'll probably start with one of the quill stems

Edited by DJR

Could be part of a toilet flush chain ????

I'm a plumber and have seen some old stuff. Don't think this is plumbing related. To me it looks like it could be a detonator pin????