[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

I don't know about your Kaapse Doktor but I've done enough riding into E Cape (East London area) gale force winds. You work hard and go slooowly but I find the heat to be a far bigger killer. But yes, a light breeze is always better if one has a choice. The E Cape boys say "any wind is better than no wind" and I think they are mostly right. :-)

The difference between here and anywhere east of Mosselbay is humidity. Cape Town at least does not get humid, thanks to the cold Atlantic cooling everything down. The heat is usually a dry burn. Thankfully, that is mostly behind us, as once Feb is behind us, the ambient temp drops. The wind on the other hand...

I had a training ride a couple days back, and the wind was blowing from the front, all the way to Simon's Town via Chapmans and back. As long as there was wind, I got it head-on.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about headwind out and tailwind back - I cycled the 2009 event, and the only thing that kept me going to Simon's Town was the thought that the wind would surely be at our backs once we're over Smits...except it wasn't...

Bru, I think that was the most demoralising part, I was waiting for that section where the wind would be in your back, just never happened. managed 4:30 I think

How wide? Last year I saw a similar deal but only on the slow versions(23c)

25C was my understanding.

Looks like there's a bit of competition between a few of the stalls around Gatorskins pricing, which is great.

I tell you what – I rather ride in the wind – even quite a strong one – and on a hot windless day. You work harder in the wind but somehow it doesn't feel nearly as bad.

You've obviously not ridden in a south easter past Simonstown when it's properly on song.

So less than a minute to collect number. Everything printed already

and then 2h around the expo :)

I went for 2 loops of the expo since I could not find the well hidden exit. 

Stopped at the Discem stand, and left. 

You've obviously not ridden in a south easter past Simonstown when it's properly on song.

Quite perceptive. You're absolutely correct. I have never ridden the Cape Peninsula at all… It sounds like I may be better off just staying safely in my hotel room and watching the fun on the television…

Go riding today it look perfect. Grrrr Unhappy I have to work.

I did, and I got wet... :drool:

Easy registration this am...no queues at al...the expo itself for the few years has been a bit hit and miss...

but good to see local produced cycle clothing etc..but really feel that more bike brands should be there...I would live to see more bikes there....

anyone for race nutrition? too much of the stuff...but something for everyone..will try "Namedsport" Superfoods for the "windy " Sunday...

I hope this wind might not be bad otherwise my climbing legs will fall off...

it was only a quick run around the EXPO...i properly missed plenty...

most reliable forecast for Sunday? 

... there's going to be weather and it'll be variable depending on where you are & what time of day it is.

I'm 100% confident in my prediction.

:drool: sun-tan lotion all