One Tonner 2018

Tjommie

Recovering

I carried 2L of water plus 1.2L of Drink  with me.

First stop @ bottom of Bothma.

1.8L of water plus .8L of Powerade, still had .8L of Drink

Second stop Before Silos.

1.2L of water, 

i really f'd up by not stopping in malmesbury.  it was a hard lesson.

Edited by billygoat0523

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know how much responsibility i want to take upon myself for wanting to ride a race that i paid for 3 months ago.

it would've been better if they just called it at the start instead of using the "let's wait and see approach".

cape town cycle tour was cancelled last year, maybe not right at the start, but not after 4 to 5 hours.  you were turned around and told to go home.  no riding was to continue on the route.  that was a DEFINITE decision.  the situation yesterday seemed blurry, at the least.  that frustrated me.

i was glad i soft pedaled to the finish though, got my (rubbish) time and a lekker medal.

tbh I think it is a very hard decision to make for organisers. It is not as if there is a fixed temperature x and a wind speed y where the organisers know now we stop the race and everyone will agree. It's a judgment call and with heat you cannot fully rely on weather predictions, you have to see how it pans out during the day. What if they cancelled the race the morning and the heat wasn't as bad as predicted?

As with any judgement call some will agree and some not, My gut feel is that there would have been far more complaints on here if they cancelled. If you are going to cancel a road race in the WC everytime it is a bit hotter than normal, the wind is stronger than normal or we have unexpected rain we are going to have to cancel have the road races in spring/summer. Dealing with elements is part of cycling imo. One Tonner is an extreme event for us weekend warriors not just another fun ride, you should come well prepared to handle harsh weather.

Anybody know how the crash victims in H-K (109km) on Windmeul Road are doing.?

Suspect there was a touch of wheels when one went down.

In trying to avoid that, some others sounded like they went down really hard.

Heard they were ok.

Edited by TriGuru76

That sir would be me as the first victim and two more after that.  the one burst a rear tire braking not to hit me in the back and the other broke his rear derailed (bummer). hitting the deck as well.

We all got up unscaved (in the broken any body parts department). so i consider us very very lucky indeed.  The PPA route petrol bus arrived luckily 5 minutes later, patched up my arm and i went on to finish.  Felt bad for the other two that had to get on the bus due to the bikes not being roadworthy after that.  But its ma part of the game i guess and super stoked that we all got off so lightly. - i knew something was up when i could only find my long fingered gloves....

On the matter of the Heat:  I was being sterilized by the medics at the finish line by the medics when the race DR was called in to make a call on the heat and if the race should continue.  I did't stick around for that, but from what i picked up is that it was already 38deg and they were  seriously worried for the back markers on the long route.  I must say that HK bunch on the 109km already caught after some of those groups after hells and then at regular intervals after that before we peeled of at windmeul - i was thinking that i was glad im doing the short one, cause its gonna be a long day in that heat and youre only there now.

UnclePolli

Just glad you and the other two are ok. Sorry that your day had to end like that. 

Hope to see you back on the bike soon. 

As with any judgement call some will agree and some not, My gut feel is that there would have been far more complaints on here if they cancelled. If you are going to cancel a road race in the WC everytime it is a bit hotter than normal, the wind is stronger than normal or we have unexpected rain we are going to have to cancel have the road races in spring/summer. Dealing with elements is part of cycling imo. One Tonner is an extreme event for us weekend warriors not just another fun ride, you should come well prepared to handle harsh weather.

but it was cancelled  :whistling:

Edited by billygoat0523

UnclePolli

Just glad you and the other two are ok. Sorry that your day had to end like that.

Glad to hear you're all ok.

It sounded terrible ... but rather the bikes than the riders.

I did the One Tonner a few years back on a baking day... rode past an older chap leaning on his bike. I asked if he was OK, and he said 'please help me'... I realised then that this would never happen to me, so am very careful... Second prize is a booby prize of note.

oh, and yes, i DID call emergency and waited with him to be uplifted. They even called me later to let me know he was OK

i really f'd up by not stopping in malmesbury.  it was a hard lesson.

I also thought my Five bottles were a bit over kill.

When I got to bottom of Bothma's my bottles were half.

Glad to hear you're all ok.

It sounded terrible ... but rather the bikes than the riders.

UnclePolli

No worries gents - ma part of the sport. i think we are all just relieved that we have not broken any body parts.  nobody goes and race to crash intentionally or cause some-else to crash (I hope not unless you are maybe are in F1)

Started with  two 750ml bottles which where both pretty much done when we stopped at bottom of Botmas. Refilled and the team made a decision to push through without stoppping at the next Waterpoint which was a mistake - ran out of fluids at about 145km and nursed myself to the second last Waterpoint which was carnage. Saw a couple of guys curled up in the shade underneath a trailer... Got going again and finally found my legs again around 160km mark and made it home in just over 05:20. Spiritual day and thankful to the teammates for getting me through that dark patch  :thumbup: