Jumping lights

Andreas_187

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in Jhb west rand? Cyclists generally ignore red traffic lights. Saturdays alinv Ontdekkers could be a fines gold mine for metro cops -but then,when last did a real live genuine traffic cop actually work in Jozi? For the last 15 years we only have stationary Michelin men and women (stationary while snoozing behind their cop car steering wheel)

Here in Jhb west rand? Cyclists generally ignore red traffic lights. Saturdays alinv Ontdekkers could be a fines gold mine for metro cops -but then,when last did a real live genuine traffic cop actually work in Jozi? For the last 15 years we only have stationary Michelin men and women (stationary while snoozing behind their cop car steering wheel)

Ontdekkers is ridiculous... That road has become a death trap.

I fully support cycling in any way or direction to get to your destination alive.

My wife had another close shave with a mom's taxi this morning. The driver simply turned left into a side street just in front of her . She was forced to brake hard to avoid a collision. Luckily she is an experienced cyclist and has superior reactions and situational awareness as we know we all do :-) 

shoo wee, i think he was going too fast to stop so might as well keep going!

last week I sneaked through an orange and thought to myself, well that was pushing it a bit.

Look in the rear view mirror and the 2 cars behind me went through the red!

My wife had another close shave with a mom's taxi this morning. The driver simply turned left into a side street just in front of her . She was forced to brake hard to avoid a collision. Luckily she is an experienced cyclist and has superior reactions and situational awareness as we know we all do :-) 

Morewood, black? If she rides along that section of Wynberg, past The Palms, I'm not surprised. Wynberg mommies. 

Morewood, black? If she rides along that section of Wynberg, past The Palms, I'm not surprised. Wynberg mommies. 

Yes, this wasn't in that part though - closer to Claremont I think. 

the left-turning-get-out-of-my-way-cyclist-cretin driver attitude is an especialy dangerous one.

I witnessed something similar on Main Road Kenilworth. Just past Bootleggers. Cyclist was merrily pedaling along while the driver in front of me accelerated to pass him only to swing hard left. Cyclist collided with the car so the driver had to stop. the woman screams "where did you come from!!"

I gently explained that he was always there and quickly realised it was just an act. She knew what she was doing and it didn't work. I took the cyclist to the doc for a check up and to Claremont police station to report the incident. Nothing came of it

this was two years go and its not getting better

the left-turning-get-out-of-my-way-cyclist-cretin driver attitude is an especialy dangerous one.

I witnessed something similar on Main Road Kenilworth. Just past Bootleggers. Cyclist was merrily pedaling along while the driver in front of me accelerated to pass him only to swing hard left. Cyclist collided with the car so the driver had to stop. the woman screams "where did you come from!!"

I gently explained that he was always there and quickly realised it was just an act. She knew what she was doing and it didn't work. I took the cyclist to the doc for a check up and to Claremont police station to report the incident. Nothing came of it

this was two years go and its not getting better

This boggles my mind, they have only seconds earlier past you, where do they think the cyclist is going to go?

Nice of you to help the person with all that admin.

Always try take the lane in these circumstances, esp turn off to black river park

This boggles my mind, they have only seconds earlier past you, where do they think the cyclist is going to go?

Always try take the lane in these circumstances, esp turn off to black river park

If you are witness to an injury and do nothing then you are as guilty of causing the injury as the perpetrator. That's how I see it

shoo wee, i think he was going too fast to stop so might as well keep going!

last week I sneaked through an orange and thought to myself, well that was pushing it a bit.

Look in the rear view mirror and the 2 cars behind me went through the red!

It is almost a daily occurrence around Jhb. I'll cross on orange, then I've seen as many as other 5 cars cross the arrow-less red robot after me. I've even had someone hit my ca with a metro bmw in the vicinity before, they sped off, metro just overtook me like I'm an idiot for stopping.

Ever since getting the road bike for training, I'm even more aware of how unaware people are of a cyclists' moving speed. I"ll often cross the intersection before anyone else, starting from a red, but get passed at around 28kmh mark, then a few seconds down the road, I pass the same cars again, just to repeat it.

People who haven't cycled before really have a vast misconception (sometimes ignorance) of how a bicycle works & responds and how fast it can go!

Guess it is not illegal but it also boggles my mind when cycling in the yellow lane how sometimes motorists (usually taxis) would race past you in a great hurry and then stop 10 meters ahead of you in the yellow lane completely blocking you.

Can they literally not drive that 3 extra seconds behind you to get too the spot they wanted to park?  (OK I know I'm slow on a bicycle but not THAT slow  :P )

all of this is just an indication of the social collapse in SA the world, tsociety's moral fibre destroyed.

let's-now-follow-rules-SA everyone

There I fixed it for you... 

I think you'll find it's pretty bonkers everywhere

There I fixed it for you... 

I think you'll find it's pretty bonkers everywhere

it may be collapsing all over the world, however in most places basic rules are still followed like stopping at a red light or stop  :whistling:

Archived