Two cyclists hit in one day - 13/10/2018

Jay87

On Saturday two cyclists were hit by vehicles, one in Clifton and one in Sea Point.

Clifton cyclist seems to be fine, just with a completely bent wheel.

Sea Point cyclist came out of surgery yesterday from a fractured collarbone. I saw him getting up from the floor while I was walking back to girlfriend's place. He said that a taxi knocked him over. It was after only cycling 3 blocks away from where he departed. I walked him back to my partner's place where he called a friend to take him to the emergency room. Missing lots of skin on his arm and his leg was lacerated. Thankfully, a driver saw it happen and followed after the taxi to take photos of him and his registration...apparently everyone in the taxi was laughing. Seems like the police are giving him **** when it comes to opening up a case as well.

Unfortunately he took the brunt of the damage...his bike is in good shape all considering. It was just his wheel that snapped off at the rear fork. Gear set, derailer, handle bars, wheels, and paddles all look fine, and thank god no cracks in the frame.

He seems in good spirits and has support from everyone involved :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On Saturday two cyclists were hit by vehicles, one in Clifton and one in Sea Point.

Sea Point cyclist came out of surgery yesterday from a fractured collarbone. I saw him getting up from the floor while I was walking back to girlfriend's place. He said that a taxi knocked him over. It was after only cycling 3 blocks away from where he departed. I walked him back to my partner's place where he called a friend to take him to the emergency room. Missing lots of skin on his arm and his leg was lacerated. Thankfully, a driver saw it happen and followed after the taxi to take photos of him and his registration...apparently everyone in the taxi was laughing. Seems like the police are giving him **** when it comes to opening up a case as well.

Unfortunately he took the brunt of the damage...his bike is in good shape all considering. It was just his wheel that snapped off at the rear fork. Gear set, derailer, handle bars, wheels, and paddles all look fine, and thank god no cracks in the frame.

Wow, dehumanizing bit to the story, but glad to hear said cyclist is still among the living!

I would not complain for this story to reach carte blanche - like last week's justice with the taxi driving on the wrong side of the road

Edited by Dirkitech

Ask him to get PPA involved, they will speed the process on charging driver

Ask him to get PPA involved, they will speed the process on charging driver

Get him back to the police station - happened to me on 30 Sept.

Went from ER to SAPS in Simonstown to open criminal case of reckless and negligent driving.

Constable wanted to give me just AR number for insurance purposes - told him I want to open a case and if he is of the view that its not necessary, he must confirm that in writing with the official stamp. After he phoned the Warrant Officer, WO told them to open.

That Sunday night I got sms with case no. Tuesday I received details of I/O Voges. Phoned me last week told me that he took a warning statement from driver. I also reported it to PPA

Will see how far it will go...

Hope the cyclists recover and back on the bike in no time

Edited by Bloukrans

There was also an accident on Saturday morning around 8am outside Blouberg on the new cycling lane towards Melkbosstrand.

By the time we passed, the police and emergency services were already there.

By my guestimate I would say that a car came out of the complex gate and drove into the female cyclist as she was going passed.

Not sure how serious.

There was also an accident on Saturday morning around 8am outside Blouberg on the new cycling lane towards Melkbosstrand.

By the time we passed, the police and emergency services were already there.

By my guestimate I would say that a car came out of the complex gate and drove into the female cyclist as she was going passed.

Not sure how serious.

Ya you have to be carefull by the complex entrances. My opinion is car drivers don't see you in the cycle lane when entering/leaving complexes, since you are so far out of sight

Hope the cyclists recover.

Good of you to help him

I was nearly taken out twice on Saturday morning on Main between Muizenberg and Kalk Bay. A car decided that traffic was too slow and overtook 5 or 6 cars on a solid white line. 1st time there was space, the 2nd time I had to take evasive maneuvers into someone's driveway. Happened on the way there and again on the way back.

3rd incident wasn't scary, just annoying. Car pulls out a short distance in front of me. I lift my hand in 'what are you doing?' fashion and I get a middle finger in return.

3rd incident wasn't scary, just annoying. Car pulls out a short distance in front of me. I lift my hand in 'what are you doing?' fashion and I get a middle finger in return.

Sign language miscommunication.? ;)

Jokes aside, roads are really busy particularly on Saturday mornings.

Take care out there.

Sign language miscommunication.? ;)

Jokes aside, roads are really busy particularly on Saturday mornings.

Take care out there.

I had no single digits exposed or isolated

It just seemed like a crazy morning. Left home at 6:30 to be ahead of any busy traffic. 

Lots of cars is one thing - bad driving is another, ask the two cyclists who were taken out how careful they were being...

Get him back to the police station - happened to me on 30 Sept.

Went from ER to SAPS in Simonstown to open criminal case of reckless and negligent driving.

Constable wanted to give me just AR number for insurance purposes - told him I want to open a case and if he is of the view that its not necessary, he must confirm that in writing with the official stamp. After he phoned the Warrant Officer, WO told them to open.

That Sunday night I got sms with case no. Tuesday I received details of I/O Voges. Phoned me last week told me that he took a warning statement from driver. I also reported it to PPA

Will see how far it will go...

Hope the cyclists recover and back on the bike in no time

How's the wrists doing?

How long still off the bike?

Terrible to hear! Motorists need to understand that their cars are a weapon and we need harder sentences for people who hit cyclists. 

Taxi should be charged for the not passing within 1m rule at least!!

Hope the people heal up fast. 

Riding through Fish Hoek this weekend, the drivers along the cost road have zero brain cells. Riding through main road Kalk Bay you have to ride in middle of the road otherwise tani in a toyota fortuner thinks there is enough space to pass 10 cyclists single file on those narrow roads.

Terrible to hear! Motorists need to understand that their cars are a weapon and we need harder sentences for people who hit cyclists.

Taxi should be charged for the not passing within 1m rule at least!!

Hope the people heal up fast.

Riding through Fish Hoek this weekend, the drivers along the cost road have zero brain cells. Riding through main road Kalk Bay you have to ride in middle of the road otherwise tani in a toyota fortuner thinks there is enough space to pass 10 cyclists single file on those narrow roads.

Still waiting for the Friday Bootleggers report in Kenilworth ????????