Specialized Store Stellenbosch

Suzana27

I've been a total of 2 times in that shop and i can say from all the shops i've been to in the helderbger/stlb area i did not feel at home. I walked in with some friends, im build more like a prop than a cyclist and my friends were assisted and i weren't even asked if i needed anything.

As for the person coming on social media to complain, instead of asking for the manager, as suggested earlier. Some people don't like face to face confrontation. We are living in an era of online social platforms. Why go and complain to manager who might laugh it off with his buddies in the shop instead of going online and complain.

First off you will hurt the brand way more if "10million" people saw it online instead of just bringing it to the manager's attention. If i saw bad rep for stlb spez i would rather drive 20kms further and go to the helderberg store, same product and a better chance of getting better service. Secondly the chances of something actually being done is way greater because now they are in the public's spotlight. Thirdly the "manager" in a store is a lot of the times a glorified baby sitter. (dont know if this is the case here) When you complain on social media it would, as apparently it is in this case, be brought to the owners attention because some one is going to see the post and call them up and say buddy your rep is in jeopardy. This also gives the store an opportunity to come up with an excuse saying, my staff was sick, half is at the w2w or what ever the reason was for the bad service and rectify and make that customer happy. Free publicity...

Yes nobody likes keyboard warriors but would you rather not know that there is a problem in your store then not?

I don't know the store or the owners, but as a general rule this attitude sucks.

Why would you not FIRST take it up with the manager?

Maybe there was an issue with the staff that the manager/owner was not aware of. You could be the one that saves the shop and other customers from a similar experience.

What if the manager/owner is not on social media?

Why first flame?

Is this the new way of doing things? Lets not try and fix the problem just rather burn the house down. Fear of confrontation? If everyone is civil and you have a reasoned discussion with the manager/owner where will the be a possibility of a confrontation?

I feel people these days fear confrontation because of this keyboard warrior mentality and the fact that it is so easy to get agro behind a keyboard that they think it is the same face to face. Damn in most cases a business owner/manager is only too happy get get feedback, especially face to face.

But maybe I am just oldschool.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I.... or I may just pop in at Stellenbosch or Somerset West or another branch in the Southern Suburbs when my projects takes me past those branches ..... :wacko: :whistling:

If you are driving from the N-Subs just go straight to stellies. Stellies carries a lot of stock, whereas Helderberg's range is more focused on the marathon crowd.

Moral of the story, SERVICE YOUR BIKES. Do extensive research on what exactly you require, go in the store, get what you need and enjoy the rest of the day doing your own thing. 

I agree that one person got good service does not mean the next will get the same. Saying you won't shop there or support the brand would only be cutting of your nose to spite your face. 

I have learnt in the pass, cut your loses and move forward. 

I must add, from previous experiences.. Most elite bike shops have elite/ pro riders working in the stores, because they perform on bike does not mean the have sales or people skills. 

Moral of the story, SERVICE YOUR BIKES. Do extensive research on what exactly you require, go in the store, get what you need and enjoy the rest of the day doing your own thing. 

I agree that one person got good service does not mean the next will get the same. Saying you won't shop there or support the brand would only be cutting of your nose to spite your face. 

I have learnt in the pass, cut your loses and move forward. 

I must add, from previous experiences.. Most elite bike shops have elite/ pro riders working in the stores, because they perform on bike does not mean the have sales or people skills. 

by the same token, just because someone else received poor service, doesn't mean you'll get the same...

I don't know the store or the owners, but as a general rule this attitude sucks.

Why would you not FIRST take it up with the manager?

Maybe there was an issue with the staff that the manager/owner was not aware of. You could be the one that saves the shop and other customers from a similar experience.

What if the manager/owner is not on social media?

Why first flame?

Is this the new way of doing things? Lets not try and fix the problem just rather burn the house down. Fear of confrontation? If everyone is civil and you have a reasoned discussion with the manager/owner where will the be a possibility of a confrontation?

I feel people these days fear confrontation because of this keyboard warrior mentality and the fact that it is so easy to get agro behind a keyboard that they think it is the same face to face. Damn in most cases a business owner/manager is only too happy get get feedback, especially face to face.

But maybe I am just oldschool.

You have to change as the world around you change...ask blockbuster or any mr video shop owner.

Not here to name and shame - As a COLNAGO / CAMPY purist the only Spez product i've been prepared to use are their saddles, both on my road and MTB's

So back in Feb I bought a power saddle - I liked the short nose, cause my shorts keep hooking on the normal saddle especially on the MTB. when i bought the saddle i complained to the sales guy that some of my other saddles squeek like a church mouse getting shagged by the devil.

He tells me i should have returned it they would have replaced it under warranty - well it was already 2 years old so i didnt bother.

2 months on the power saddle and i get the same thing - this time i decide warranty claim will be the order of the day considering what i paid for it - off i go and visit said store - So after some phone calls they agree to give me a new saddle which the salesman takes off the rack of new saddles mounted in the card holder - Happy chappy i get home to mount it and see its actually a used saddle with clear clamp marks and white paint marks from a previous setup. I check out the rails and they as loose as my ex wife.

long story short i go back and change it again this time for a proper new one - But i question how does a previously used clearly faulty saddle land up on the new saddle rack mounted on a card an all. they were full of reasons, but i left believing they simply take warranty saddles, mount them on a new card and hang them back on the rack for the next unsuspecting customer to come in and buy it

Bottom line is - I'll never go back and i'll never buy another spez saddle 

.... or I may just pop in at Stellenbosch or Somerset West or another branch in the Southern Suburbs when my projects takes me past those branches ..... :wacko: :whistling:

Just had a very pleasing encounter with the Spez Kenilworth.

Doesn't guarantee the next person anything, but hopefully it's their norm rather than an exception.

Just had a very pleasing encounter with the Spez Kenilworth.

Doesn't guarantee the next person anything, but hopefully it's their norm rather than an exception.

Thanks.

Actually got a call from Mike today.  I was in a meeting and could not take the call though, he did leave a message.   Will pop in next week and chat to Mike.

Strange how we sometimes build a relationship with a "person" and not a "shop" ....

Have to say if you have POP Spesialized has a great warranty/return policy.

Bought a pair of shoes and it picked up severe damage after 1 ride with only a couple hundred meters hike a bike.

They replaced it but I had doubts on quality for obvious reasons and did not want to use the same shoes again.

I had great service from this store over this past weekend. Waylon had a few pairs of shoes and insoles laid out, making sure I left with the right fit. First time I've been to this store and great experience.

Now if ONLY they brought their new tyres into the country that'd be amazing...Eliminator BLK DMND please in 650 AND 29.

Nobody would ride a Butcher over an Eliminator anymore :(

Andrew the Tygerberg branch is around the corner from my office.

Was there earlier this week .... looking for a pair of 2FO's for Maritz ... guaranteed sale !

Mike really helped me to get my pair of 2FO's end of last year !!!  So I was sure this was going to be an easy sale .....  :thumbup:   except he was not in the shop, and the rest are still enjoying their coffee, and could not be bothered to help me ....  :thumbdown:

I may stop in again to see if Mike can help me .... or I may just pop in at Stellenbosch or Somerset West or another branch in the Southern Suburbs when my projects takes me past those branches .....  :wacko:   :whistling:

I visited Tygerberg Spez in 2016 to enquire about their Camber's. Sales dude pitches up, and up-sells me to the Stumpy 6-fattie, for about 13k more than the Camber. I fall for the pitch, and ask him to send me paperwork and pricing, so that I can arrange payment. He offers to mail me. I offer him my details.

It's 2019 2nd half, and I am still waiting for this quote to come through. I bought the Camber elsewhere.

Used to live close to the Stellenbosch Specialized, so visited them a lot. Sometimes I had good service, it all depends who is on the floor the day you walk in. 

Some days the one mechanic would help you, Merino I think was his name. He was great and very helpful. Other days you are met by a sales hungry youngster (won't name names) who wants to oversell you.

The workshop was hit and miss, but mostly miss. One time I took my bike in for a spoke replacement on the rear wheel. Got it back, spoke replaced, but the freehub body was not attached to the hub properly (Hope hub owners will know what I'm talking about), rookie mistakes. Had I not noticed the crank spinning of its own volition while pushing the bike who knows what the damage would have been. Shock services were a joke, pretty sure they are responsible for a R3000 rebuild on my shock, after persuading me on numerous occasions that my shock does not need a service, despite me explicitly asking for one (me: "please service my shock damper, I'm pretty sure its due", them: squish squish on the bike, "nah, its still okay"). 

The last time I went there was a couple of months ago now. Bought a few grands worth of riding kit, all selected from their "reduced" section. Get to the till, boom, none of the prices are reduced, all full prices, despite me knowing that the exact same stuff are also reduced at other Spez shops. Brought it to the guys attention (again, not naming names, but he's been there a loooong time), and I get the third degree about whether I'm sure I took the pants from the Sale section. Ended up not bothering to ask for the price of the other stuff to be reduced as well, it's not lekker when you are made to feel like some kind chancer. So ja...I will not be seen there ever again.

Talking to managers at bike shops is generally a total waste of time. Take you money elsewhere and then maybe they'll start scratching their heads and figure out what the problem is. Also they know social media is how to find out where they messed up.

(eds: typos)

Edited by Rock Guy

Shock services were a joke, pretty sure they are responsible for a R3000 rebuild on my shock, after persuading me on numerous occasions that my shock does not need a service, despite me explicitly asking for one (me: "please service my shock damper, I'm pretty sure its due", them: squish squish on the bike, "nah, its still okay"). 

(eds: typos)

I have it on good authority, as well as personal experience, that if you want to have your shock serviced, Knipe Racing is the place to do it. Louis does what you ask, no qualms, and also will not rip your arms off when billing time arrives.

As for the results, let's just say you won't regret your choice.