Rider down R27. Please help identify cyclist

ivan888

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread made me order a new ID bracelet, as the clasp on my old one actually broke a while back. I see they now have new designs as well, one of which clips onto the strap of your helmet, which is pretty clever.

This time I ordered a wrist one made of velcro not rubber, and it has reflective stitching sewn in so keen to see what it looks like when it arrives.

Siderski, did you order from ice tags.coza, is that where you got your old one from, am also looking at these wrist bands, think a cyclist needs this type of thing.

Especially if you ride on your own, would make it quicker for people to assist you if you are not concious, searching a guy and trolling through his pockets and phone isnt really ideal in that situation,

Jewbacca posted that the phone may be broken by an off in a previous post and he has a point.

Siderski, did you order from ice tags.coza, is that where you got your old one from, am also looking at these wrist bands, think a cyclist needs this type of thing.

Especially if you ride on your own, would make it quicker for people to assist you if you are not concious, searching a guy and trolling through his pockets and phone isnt really ideal in that situation,

Jewbacca posted that the phone may be broken by an off in a previous post and he has a point.

Paramedics and ambulance men are trained to look for ID on your wrist and phone. Other bystanders not so clued up. Phone can be problematic - stolen, screen cracked, locked etc. Wrist band more predictable. My 2c. I use both myself.

please ascertain yourself of the facts before you attempt to troll in a serious thread

huh? 

It's done. Nothing I say or do now will help the person recover faster nor can it take away the fact that it happened.

Had I made light of the incident I could understand your anger, but I didn't. It's a serious thing being knocked over and memory loss is terrible. I know because I have suffered from it before. As recently as last year September/October from a fall when I developed a subdural haematoma  which caused speech issues, loss of motor skills, memory loss and a heap of other rubbish.

Between that and the fractured vertibrae and broken ribs I was a mess... BUT....

I still laughed and I still thought the battery life of an iPhone is embarrassing. I still do.

Playing serious James and writing 'thoughts and prayers' or something just as non committal is just as ridiculous as making light of the charge of a cell phone.

As a human I have compassion towards the guy and really hope he heals up with no lasting issues. I don't see the point in posting that as it's a given. If I didn't want that then wow...

What is a 'serious thread'? A serious subject maybe, but does that mean that the tone needs to be sombre and morose from start to finish? 

Next time I will be sure to ask your permission before I make fun of a phone or an inanimate object.

I carry an ID Card and Medical Aid Card with me while I ride. I wouldn't put my life in the hands of a phone be it iPhone, Samsung, Nokia, Sony or even Good Pixel. Though I have to say that Google Pixel has great battery life on a battery saver though it might not survive a crash.

If you don't have ID with you at least write your name and emergency contact number on your leg with a waterproof pen. I did this once when I was on holiday and did not want to cycle with my passport. At the very least make it easy for a paramedic or stranger to help you in the event that you are KO.

I carry an ID Card and Medical Aid Card with me while I ride. I wouldn't put my life in the hands of a phone be it iPhone, Samsung, Nokia, Sony or even Good Pixel. Though I have to say that Google Pixel has great battery life on a battery saver though it might not survive a crash.

If you don't have ID with you at least write your name and emergency contact number on your leg with a waterproof pen. I did this once when I was on holiday and did not want to cycle with my passport. At the very least make it easy for a paramedic or stranger to help you in the event that you are KO.

Come on, do a tattoo! :ph34r:  :whistling:

I ordered my original one and the new one today from iceid.co.za but I see there are now a few different sites doing similar tags.

R250 couriered to my door by next Friday, which seems fair to me. Not sure of the cost on the other sites. I do think 'tags' has more variations, now I look at it.

I ordered my original one and the new one today from iceid.co.za but I see there are now a few different sites doing similar tags.

R250 couriered to my door by next Friday, which seems fair to me. Not sure of the cost on the other sites. I do think 'tags' has more variations, now I look at it.

We have opted for laminated information tags.

There is one in my wallet (which I dont have on me while cycling)

There is one in the car's cubby

There is one attached to the Tygerberg MTB club board on each of our bikes

huh?

It's done. Nothing I say or do now will help the person recover faster nor can it take away the fact that it happened.

Had I made light of the incident I could understand your anger, but I didn't. It's a serious thing being knocked over and memory loss is terrible. I know because I have suffered from it before. As recently as last year September/October from a fall when I developed a subdural haematoma which caused speech issues, loss of motor skills, memory loss and a heap of other rubbish.

Between that and the fractured vertibrae and broken ribs I was a mess... BUT....

I still laughed and I still thought the battery life of an iPhone is embarrassing. I still do.

Playing serious James and writing 'thoughts and prayers' or something just as non committal is just as ridiculous as making light of the charge of a cell phone.

As a human I have compassion towards the guy and really hope he heals up with no lasting issues. I don't see the point in posting that as it's a given. If I didn't want that then wow...

What is a 'serious thread'? A serious subject maybe, but does that mean that the tone needs to be sombre and morose from start to finish?

Next time I will be sure to ask your permission before I make fun of a phone or an inanimate object.

ok meester.

Post ahead, i am not always available, or alternatively let your post count drop. Your choice. All the same to me. But we are digressing.

Stat safe out there all, and look out for each other!

Left a msg for Riaan

I might have some details for this rider...

If it's the guy I met a few weeks back I have he's details etc.

He's a hubber as well

Let's see once Riaan makes contact

I'm a member of the ASTM (American Society of Testing & Materials) helmet committee, the helmet standards organization in the US. This organization makes helmets standards for skiing, cycling, hockey, etc., No cycling helmet is made to prevent concussions. Period

I'm a member of the ASTM (American Society of Testing & Materials) helmet committee, the helmet standards organization in the US. This organization makes helmets standards for skiing, cycling, hockey, etc., No cycling helmet is made to prevent concussions. Period

I have gone O.T.B. twice where I was concussed afterwards. On both occasions, the helmet saved my head from much more severe injury. A cycling helmet is designed in such a way to break apart during impact, dissipating the resultant forces to the head. I am very glad to not have suffered cracks to the skull, or even just gashes to my head during those falls. The first one was on tar, where I smacked the road with my forehead. The helmet saved me from a very serious injury. The second was on single track. I managed to head but a rock, and had severe concussive injury because of it, as well as a few gashes to the face. It would have been MUCH worse without a helmet.

The debate about helmets will not soon go away, but from my own experience, I will NEVER advocate riding without one.

A cycling helmet is designed in such a way to break apart during impact, dissipating the resultant forces.....

Much like a Formula 1 Racing car.

As expensive as they are, after an accident no one (apart from the accountants perhaps) worries about whether the car got broken. They worry about whether their main investment - the drive (your head) "made it out alive"