Who still carries a spare tube? On a tubeless bike...

ByronH

I still carry a tube (Spez ones are compact and don't take up a lot of space) and have used it this year where I ripped my tyre sidewall on a sharp rock.

Nothing was able to repair the hole (tyre was thrown in the bin) and thankfully I had a tube - it would have been a very long walk home otherwise...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do, at least one, and have needed it in the past, plus a spare ...

Important to remember to run your fingers inside the tire all around to sense and then remove any things like thorns that have logged in the tyre and been sealed before. If you don't you are wasting your time (and your tube) which is why I actually pack some patches as well.

Never ever needed one.Never carry one even on many many multiple stage races.

I always carry little box ( small puncture repair boxes work great) with

Lots of different size plugs.2 quick links

Spare valve

Spare valve core

Little tool to remove valve core

Small tube superglue

Always make sure there is slime in tires.

If I was doing Epic I would add tire boot to the mix.

Hi

For my daily riding I don't carry one, however for my 2 Epics I carried a spare tube with Stans sealant pre loaded. I never needed them as I was fortunate and invested in good tyres.

I recently stumbled onto Nube Tubeless with is trickle down for Moto Enduro's "mousse" - It's basically a pool noodle inside your tyre. It weighs less than nothing unlike some others I have seen.

You still inflate your tyre with sealant, but should you have a major sidewall cut, you can still ride home.

It also allows you to run lower pressure over the rocks with no risk of wheel damage.

For me, it's the end of spare tubes. I have been running these for about 6 months and super stoked with how they work.

Won't be long before a local version will be available...

https://www.facebook.com/Nube-Tubeless-450869395037503/

Edited by MarcL

I carry one in my Camelbak, but its been there for years now. I wouldn't get rid of it though as the extra weight ontop of 1.5kg of water is negligible. Mind you its been there so long, if i ever needed it i may find that it has degraded.

I dont have a fancy MTB and definitely dont run tubless, but also dont use the MTB all that much.

A couple of weeks ago I pulled it off the wall to go for a ride and found the rear wheel flat, pulled out the new tube that was sitting in the saddle bag (oh no he didnt  :eek: ) , inserted into the tyre and it would not inflate. Turns out by not being used it degraded and now there was a hole right next to the stem.

So I'd check that spare tube if I was you.

I have one. Folded nicely....wrapped in an old stock and taped to the seatpoat....had to use it a couple of times....beats walking home or finding someone to give you a lift on a Saturday afternoon..

Hi

For my daily riding I don't carry one, however for my 2 Epics I carried a spare tube with Stans sealant pre loaded. I never needed them as I was fortunate and invested in good tyres.

I recently stumbled onto Nube Tubeless with is trickle down for Moto Enduro's "mousse" - It's basically a pool noodle inside your tyre. It weighs less than nothing unlike some others I have seen.

You still inflate your tyre with sealant, but should you have a major sidewall cut, you can still ride home.

It also allows you to run lower pressure over the rocks with no risk of wheel damage.

For me, it's the end of spare tubes. I have been running these for about 6 months and super stoked with how they work.

Won't be long before a local version will be available...

https://www.facebook.com/Nube-Tubeless-450869395037503/

Those inserts are very popular here. They allow you to run your rear tyre with less pressure, allowing more grip, without fear of pinching.

I haven't gone that way yet.

I carry a spare tube. A week or 2 ago while deep in the woods in my area a dog ran up to my bike while I was out cycling. As is my custom I normally stop so as not to risk hurting the dog or myself. Dog made a beeline for my front wheel turned its head and bit down hard. Not even a big dog at that. Having encountered thousands of dogs out on my rides I was stunned into inaction and the dog managed to puncture both sides on the sidewall. Can of mousse failed, spare tube got me home. ( can’t call Uber in the woods)

Now, I have ridden thousands of kms in the area and never had a puncture, but that one time it was needed I am glad I had a tube.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t! I went to scouts so I would rather be prepared! Doesn’t really effect me if the tube is there or not on rides, only if I need it, therefore it is there!

Edited by MphatiPyga

Don’t recall ever needing one, but still carry one anyway.

Many other uses for a tube, might come in handy one day

I carry a spare tube. A week or 2 ago while deep in the woods in my area a dog ran up to my bike while I was out cycling. As is my custom I normally stop so as not to risk hurting the dog or myself. Dog made a beeline for my front wheel turned its head and bit down hard. Not even a big dog at that. Having encountered thousands of dogs out on my rides I was stunned into inaction and the dog managed to puncture both sides on the sidewall. Can of mousse failed, spare tube got me home. ( can’t call Uber in the woods)

Now, I have ridden thousands of kms in the area and never had a puncture, but that one time it was needed I am glad I had a tube.

Nee boeta.... i kanna believe your story

Did u forget the comic font?