Motorists ride closer to you when you're wearing a helmet.

Moriarty

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not this crap again. 

Wearing a helmet reduces your susceptibility to a traumatic brain injury. FACT.

Wearing a helmet reduces the effects of low and high speed impacts, and disperses forces over a larger footprint, reducing the effects of blunt force trauma. FACT.

Wearing a helmet further protects against sharp objects in the event of a fall. FACT. 

Justifying not wearing a helmet by using flawed studies such as this, heavily influenced by the person's own viewpoint and hypotheses is bloody stupid. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

Let me repeat again.........sigh.

You cannot use first world analogies for a third world country..............

And, was it the same selection of drivers that passed the rider, or a different sample group over repeated days? 

Apparently it was just him on his bike riding to work and back in Bath - hardly scientific at all.

Certainly not useful enough to make any helmet decisions.

Edit: The only useful part in this article is the part where they state that separating cars and bikes is safest for both.

Edited by Eldron

Apparently it was just him on his bike riding to work and back in Bath - hardly scientific at all.

Certainly not useful enough to make any helmet decisions.

Edit: The only useful part in this article is the part where they state that separating cars and bikes is safest for both.

This. He seems to be saying that wearing helmets is useless, cos we're gonna get hurt anyway. Instead of forcing us to wear helmets, just build us cyclepaths. 

How about both, genius? Helmets AND cycle paths. 

Edited by Cptmayhem

This. He seems to be saying that wearing helmets is useless, cos we're gonna get hurt anyway. Instead of forcing us to wear helmets, just build us cyclepaths. 

How about both, genius?

Here in Denmark cars and bikes are separated and I'd guess 90% of commuter cyclists don't wear helmet. I have not seen a single cyclist death reported in 2 years.

Cycle paths work!

Without quoting the actual passing distance with and without a helmet the article is worthless.

Sure, the article might be, but one click within the article gave you the answer:

Across the board, drivers passed an average of 8.5 cm (3 1/3 inches) closer with the helmet than without

Sure, the article might be, but one click within the article gave you the answer:

Cool. Thanks!

That isn't enough to change helmet habits in my opinion. Perhaps 1m. Maybe.

Cool. Thanks!

That isn't enough to change helmet habits in my opinion. Perhaps 1m. Maybe.

I agree that 8.5cm isn't a lot, but it's interesting to look at some of the other findings as well:

The study also found that large vehicles, such as buses and trucks, passed considerably closer when overtaking cyclists than cars.

The average car passed 1.33 metres (4.4 feet) away from the bicycle, whereas the average truck got 19 centimetres (7.5 inches) closer and the average bus 23 centimetres (9 inches) closer.

However, there was no evidence of 4x4s (SUVs) getting any closer than ordinary cars.

Previously reported research from the project showed that drivers of white vans overtake cyclists an average 10 centimetres (4 inches) closer than car drivers.

To test another theory, Dr Walker donned a long wig to see whether there was any difference in passing distance when drivers thought they were overtaking what appeared to be a female cyclist.

Whilst wearing the wig, drivers gave him an average of 14 centimetres (5.5 inches) more space when passing.

So the professional riders who used to RACE without helmets are were all stupid?

This is an opinion piece, not a study. Riding without a helmet is stoopid. But I guess that will speed up natural selection...

This is an opinion piece, not a study. Riding without a helmet is stoopid. But I guess that will speed up natural selection...

Exactly.

I drove all the way to Hekpoort on Sunday with the intention of riding Breedt's-Nek, only to find out I forgot my helmet at home ( I don't forget things, this was my first time ever )

Decided NOT to take a chance even though I was very tempted and irritated.................

I agree that 8.5cm isn't a lot, but it's interesting to look at some of the other findings as well:

It is an interesting insight into people and stereotypes!

My gut would tell me that white van men, luxury/SUV drivers and trucks would drive closest to helmet wearing males and women driving "ordinary" cars would give helmetless women the widest berth.

A fun study.