[Event] 2019 Tour De PPA

Pedal Power Association

Interested to see what the beta for this race will be as the winning two guys rode away from peleton from the gun, not to be seen again. Massive kudos to them and their team (Hartlief) did just as good a job in stopping any chase developing. That was real teamwork as I rekon just about any one of them could have won given a chance.

bollocks, how can 4 guys stop an entire peloton from mounting a chase yes they are going to get in the way & disrupt the paceline but tell them to piss off or create a paceline next to or around them ????????‍♂️ Problem is to many guys in that A Group are content to sit in the bunch protected or in the slip & save themselves for a bunch sprint. How on earth do you go home to your family & friends & tell them you had a good race ????????‍♂️

Sacrifice yourself, do massive pulls, help close the gap & if you get dropped so be it at least you raced & got a better workout than the bunch sitters.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bollocks, how can 4 guys stop an entire peloton from mounting a chase yes they are going to get in the way & disrupt the paceline but tell them to piss off or create a paceline next to or around them ????????‍♂️ Problem is to many guys in that A Group are content to sit in the bunch protected or in the slip & save themselves for a bunch sprint. How on earth do you go home to your family & friends & tell them you had a good race ????????‍♂️

Sacrifice yourself, do massive pulls, help close the gap & if you get dropped so be it at least you raced & got a better workout than the bunch sitters.

Ya ney! Seems many saving the legs for world Champs in 2 weeks ????‍♂️

And the guys that "blocked" the race rode of the front and finished 3rd and 4th. Why didn't the bunch follow?

First person view of Mamilian droppage

Thanks for sharing, very interesting to see all the numbers. You were so close! Possibly still some fatigue from the FTP session.

And the guys that "blocked" the race rode of the front and finished 3rd and 4th. Why didn't the bunch follow?

good question, I wasn’t there, 2 of the guys that were there are active in this thread so I’ll let them respond but congrats to you and the team. Edited by milky4130

good question, I wasn’t there, 2 of the guys that were there are active in this thread so I’ll let them respond but congrats to you and the team.

I was there. It was a combination things. Firstly I think any one of those dudes in that team were capable riding off the front whenever they wanted, but will ignore that for a sec. 

After Vissershok I'd estimate the bunch to be down to around 30 guys, mostly 50kg youngsers and 4 or 5 of the Hartlief team. When we got through Durbanville out onto the open roads, we could see the break just a minute or two ahead so I thought we'd easy close it down, but it didn't seemed like only max 4 or 5 of the guys had any interest in chasing and even then, we'd swap turns a couple of times but then after we've each swapped off, next in the pace line is all the Hartlief guys, so they'd either sit on the front forcing somebody (and it'll always be that same few people) to come around them back to the front or they'd pull out of the paceline and nobody would want to come through.

I'm still learning about racing, so I may be missing something, but I question the tactics of the other 'teams' in there that didn't help chase at all until the race was long gone, then attack what's left of the bunch to gain a couple more places.

As for why the rest of the Hartlief guys just rode off the front and nobody followed...they couldn't!

And as predicted, all the 50kg kids who were too tired to take a turn all day, smoke you at the finish!

That's what I told myself but to be brutally frank the next thought was "so you catch them and then there's vissershok". Rather wait for the next bunch.

I know i know i know ...

You could have closed the gap going down. Just grow a pair  :devil:

That's what I told myself but to be brutally frank the next thought was "so you catch them and then there's vissershok". Rather wait for the next bunch.

I know i know i know ...

Always hard when you get kicked up to a faster seeding group

Well done on the PPA and partners for hosting another fine event.

The refreshment area in Adderley is not the best place though as the cyclists blocked cars. Wonder where could be the next best spot?

Edited by 'Dale

the shameful act of group treason.

Since it was my first race back from the crash at one tonner i was very reserved about the whole bunch thing as my confidence took quite a knock. and i decided as from my 4 previous tour de PPA's, being dropped 15km from the finish line (cramps, Not fit enough, burned to much matches trying to hold on etc.) that this year i will commit the shameless act of not contributing anything not even riding 3d or 4th wheel, but last wheel the whole day.  I will not as per my usual ethical standards go and do 3-4 pulls in front, nor close a gap if i see the group split, cause every time this is performed my box of lion matches are depleted to the point where all the "wiel suigers" that never do anything in the bunch come past me looking like they just stepped out of the shower whilst i have been in the trenches and leave me in the gutter alone to my own demise whilst they ride to the gates of Rome in triumph.  

The weather gods smiled on me and from experience i knew the start will be hectic.  If i can just hold on till vissers i will let them go and fall back the the next group.  BUT before that could happen whilst we were waiting to start a person in lycra forgot to unclip on the bricks and fell over - we all judged this person with the though of you never ride clipped in the start area, i have seen way to many men's egos destroyed by this practice and low an behold to me now it was the MAMIL.  i asked if he was ok, but he just mompeled how embarrassing picked up his bike and carried it further.  yes bud is was - but kudos for not swearing or being a box about it as it would have not been zen at 06h00 in the morning.  Glad you bike was ok as that is more important then your physical well being......

back to the start i quickly scanned where the chains are on the casset as this usually give me an indication of experience started.  those in top gear i stay away from as they just bottleneck the start from being in the wrong gear.  the acceleration was hectic as per normal an i dug deep till tiekie where i knew you have to go to a dark place not to get dropped.  I went pass many other that had a bit too much during december holiday to find myself in the last position over the crest in what i though was the split - still a substantial size.  hammering on till vissers so i could claim my strava PR over my followers we began the climb and i was feeling strong and just went for it.  there was a split again and i found myself in the latter.  not panicking and waiting for the rest to chase i followed and we made contact again at graanendal.  

the split came again up that bump at fisante kraal and since i was riding last wheel i was caught out (risky business for not working)  me fellow drop-ees was not intent to work so i took it appon myself to bridge the gap up the little kicker after the 4 ways stop.  leaving my fellow rides for dust.  I did catch the group only to be caught 10 minutes later by the rest i left for dead.  Our group size started to swell i i though that we were caught by the latter part of our group that was left at tiekie.  I did however notice a couple of F's, D's and even a B in our GH group and they seemed to be more than us.  since i was sitting at the back i was only content not to crash again and i though that these where probaly the rejects of the other groups (partied the night before, twins kept me up, went to hard out the gate - all terms very familiar to me).  I could smell the marshals motorbike fumes the whole day and you know that when he goes by you are on your own.  every time we went over a kicker or around a corner i sprinted because i did not want that idling wolf to come past me and i had to since there is a lot of yoyoing at the back which im not accustomed to always trying to be in the front 3de.

turning right after the silos and going past my usual drop place still in the bunch i started to believe and dug deep again up that final drag before Adderley turn.  Here we split again an i made the split (by not having done anything the whole day).  The pace was just below my threshold hr and i was quite happy.  going on addelry there was a slight head breeze and i did not put myself in in, no sir not today.  there where now a mixture of d,e,f,c,b in our midst and looking at their guads i just tucked in.  up that final drag i saw it split again and went with the split since i had almost half a box of lions left.  the 5k came up and nobody attacked.  i just wanted to finish and realized that due to the slight headwind it will be futile to go it alone.

I just sat back and enjoyed the ride.  with 500m to go some youngsters for the short race that found refuge in our soup went for it and nobody responded, i though to myself that this was my chance to be a box for once and go for it whilst i left the rest to burn.  A tactic i am very familiar with as i am usually burned by the shower crowd.

Looking at race results i finished in the breakway of our group some 15 minutes before the majority of GH which i am very tjaft with, but if feels hollow as if i cheated or took TUE the day before.  as all of the universe is in balance for my act of shamless group riding ethics betrayal i am now promoted to E for ejected 5 km after the start to take my rightful place back in G for grounded probably after the next two race  :eek:

Pros: 

Weather, cant remember if i ever rode a PPA tour without a storm southerly nor cool 20deg.

Marshall and organization, PPA def the standard leaders here

Cons:

The dude that dumped his wrapper

Dudes riding without numbers and timing chips (common pay the entry)

Honorable mention:

the lady that perfected the art of drifting back though the group when we go uphill.  I though you executed it very well.  Going to the front before the gradient kicks up and drifting back whilst going uphill.  May i just ask that to just drift back on the side and not in the middle cause we then have to play dodge and it just is difficult to get back into a rhythm.

In Closing:

will i be shameless again - highly unlikely, cause i hate it when others dont contribute, but share in the spoils.  Was it worth it ? - probably not cause now i am punished to E and will be one of those rejects picked up by other groups.  Was it fun? - Hell yes, most enjoyable road race i have done in 4 years.  :clap:

in that case would it not make sense then that everyone contribute to a faster time?

There are roughly two mentalities in the bunch:

The racer: Let me race hard, contribute where possible and go home knowing that I left it all out there.  :devil:

The survivor: Let me preserve myself, be conservative and go home knowing that I made it to the end without embarrassing my family name.  :ph34r:

I've been in both camps based on my personal circumstances.  :clap:

they didnt block anyone... as said above. This team knows exactly what their plan is and individually they are all strong riders so executing the plan isnt an issue. Also why they were able to ride off for 3rd and 4th.

Having said that, i firmly believe the bunch had the capabilities of easily closing the gap. As devocean says, im sure most of the group had no idea there were even guys off the front.

I still feel that the numbers that were committed to closing the gap was sufficient to do the job however we never worked smartly. Probably down to lack of communication. There was even a break from the chase group that eventually dried out a few KMs down the road??? thats wasnt very smart IMO.

I too am still learning about this racing tactics as i have never been part of racing team.

Sucks being a 50kg youngster   :ph34r: