The "Dirty" bottle

Furbz

I just lick off the dust around the top and refill. Can't remember last time I was sick - stomach or otherwise.

too much cleanliness is a problem.

was joking about the licking part.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always get sick after Sani2C, wondering if the dirty bottle applies there. We ride through a lot of cow pats, easy to get bacteria contamination on the bottle lid.

thank god.

i thought i was the only one reusing a bottle without a clean.

i also apply the shake the old water left in the bottle principle. except i tip that out into a house plant then refill. 

For bottles on my trainer I usually just fill them up again and chuck them back in the fridge so I have nice cold water for the next ride. Then they get washed once a week.

Any bottles I have used out of the house or for anything other than water get a wash before the next use.

I dont stress about a proper clean up after every use. Just a quick rinse is good enough.

I use some milton when it gets "bad", and then into the dishwasher.

If I think back to what my water and water bottles looked like in the army on patrol...

my home bottle with clean water NEVER needs to be washed ;)

Is this putting the bottles in a dishwasher and or in the fridge a good thing?? 

3/4 full of water night before and put in freezer. add water the next morning and you have lekker cold water. at least for part of your ride.

I always have a bottle with me at work to sip on through the day.

That gets fresh water every day and maybe a rinse under the rap every couple of days.

Once a week it goes in the dishwasher.

Any bottle I put anything other than water in gets a clean as its normally sticky afterwards

If you're using the run-of-the-mill plastic bottles then you're probably drinking as much disintegrated plastic as you are bacteria from normal use anyway...

A quick rinse and refill is all I do most of the time, unless it doesn't smell right or looks dirty.

I'm assuming most of you wash the water jug in your fridge every time it's empty.

you clean freaks realise there is more fecal matter on your cars steering wheel than inside your bike bottles right :whistling:

you clean freaks realise there is more fecal matter on your cars steering wheel than inside your bike bottles right :whistling:

what happens in your car?!

Take it from someone who lives off bottled water. Here on the plaas our domestic plumbing runs solely off borehole(and rain) water. We buy (or collect) drinking water. As a result we have several bottles and containers in rotation. We've come to realise that the mold as a result of moisture can happen pretty quickly. I've seen it visibly develop in a wet bottle in as little as 2 days. So we have a system where our jugs, containers and water dispensers are sterilized with miltons before every refill. It takes seconds to do and a sterilized container can delay mold build up significantly. The smaller bottles we use for personal drinking water we just dispose of and replace weekly. So a six pack of 500ml bottles is usually good enough for the week. Except my laaities bottles. He refuses to drink out of anything but his spiderman bottle. Luckily, he doesn't know that there are several spiderman bottles in rotation and some unused backups for when they need to be replaced.

Archived