The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Every article I could find on Google was written by old people saying that math is harder today. Highschool as a whole is harder today as in the past depending which subjects you take ovcourse.... I think you might be confused as you get 'math lit' and comparing it to math core.

I did maths core at school (matric 2009). I'm not as old as you may think I am. I was the 2nd year that did math core and not the old higher grade and standard grade, as a result I had to use old higher grade exam papers to prepare for my exams.

I can tell you from first hand experience, the current math is easier. I did Math Core + Additional Maths, and that together came to about where higher grade was (but not quite). I then went on to University and did engineering where I saw the gap between school and uni was huge, lecturers were of the opinion that it became much bigger since the switch to the new core/lit syllabus happened.

Maths Lit - well that can hardly be called maths, it's an absolute joke.

Anyway... believe what you want.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the definition of a parallel squat..

Look at the pic, that guy's thighs are not even parrallel to the ground yet and his knee joint is already at less than 90°.

Edit: Now I'm derailing this thread. Back to veganism....

Edited by Grease_Monkey

...........Edit: Now I'm derailing this thread. Back to veganism....mathematics

Fixed  :ph34r:  ;)

Every article I could find on Google was written by old people saying that math is harder today. Highschool as a whole is harder today as in the past depending which subjects you take ovcourse.... I think you might be confused as you get 'math lit' and comparing it to math core.

Dude, you need 30% to pass. Please ask those old people how we did it.

I cannot refuse to agree with anything Josh is saying due to his sheer ignorance.

This is also not me agreeing with him, however, if your legs are parallel to the floor in a squat your knees will be bent more than 90°, say around 95-105° if I had to guess. If your legs were bent less than 90° when your legs are parallel you would probably fall backwards if you squat with enough weight.

And yes school today is easier than it was a few years back. University stats back up that claim with the amount of students struggling in first-year.

I know it has zero to do with the subject of veganism, but I have to stand up for Josh when it comes to the "school is so easy" thing.

If you take the same subjects someone did 30 years ago, let's say the "hard" ones like maths, physical sciences, natural sciences, the current subjects are definitely more advanced than they were a few decades ago. So, matric is now more difficult.

However, there are many more "soft" subjects to choose from, like tourism, maths literacy, etc,. If you only pick those, and you plan to scrape through, then sure, matric is easier than it used to be. (In the old days there also were easier, less academic, subjects like typing, woodwork etc., and I can assure you those got a good few of my friends through matric.)

Unfortunately many of us "oldies" tend to treat all of it the same, but it is not.

Edited by DJR

I cannot refuse to agree with anything Josh is saying due to his sheer ignorance.

This is also not me agreeing with him, however, if your legs are parallel to the floor in a squat your knees will be bent more than 90°, say around 95-105° if I had to guess. If your legs were bent less than 90° when your legs are parallel you would probably fall backwards if you squat with enough weight.

And yes school today is easier than it was a few years back. University stats back up that claim with the amount of students struggling in first-year.

An acute angle is LESS than 90*

An obtuse angle is MORE than 90*

You are more or less confused

Just a btw if your hips go below your knees as Josh's does you could be looking for trouble.

Initially it was friendly advice that was being given that has turned into a to and fro of chirping.

Learn something from the old ballies you may just benefit from it.

Back to Veganism.

I am not a vegan I'm telling you.

Edited by porqui

If you take the same subjects someone did 30 years ago, let's say the "hard" ones like maths, physical sciences, natural sciences, the current subjects are definitely more advanced than they were a few decades ago. So, matric is now more difficult.

So I am a bit lost here, sorry must be the age..... How does math become more or less difficult? Surely the rules are the same and the calculations are the same, or am I missing something?

An acute angle is LESS than 90*

An obtuse angle is MORE than 90*

You are more or less confused

Just a btw if your hips go below your knees as Josh's does you could be looking for trouble.

Initially it was friendly advice that was being given that has turned into a to and fro of chirping.

Learn something from the old ballies you may just benefit from it.

Back to Veganism.

I am not a vegan I'm telling you.

My bad, I took 0 degrees as legs being straight or normal to the floor. So the angle the legs bend and not the angle between the femur and tibia.

Okes please calm down.

Most of the gym okes call it a 90 degree squat meaning thighs parallel to the floor, just like the chair Eldron posted.

JOSH THE MAN, please dont squat when you are injured. You are looking for trouble with that right leg doing all the work.

I know you dont like listerning to the people on here but go listen to google. Form is more important than the actual weight. If you cant complete all the sets with perfect form, dont do it.

Not sure if this been mentioned here already.

Last week i was flipping through Netflix looking for something to watch - I eventually settled on "Game Changers"

Now i'm not vegan or even remotely vegetarian, hell I've even verbally bashed a few for forcing their beliefs down meat eaters throats in the past. But this movie gives a lot of food for thought - Excuse the pun - 

I think for a health and performance point of view its something i would try and i'm sure I would see the benefits.

I do however think changing to a plant based diet after growing up on an animal based diet could be challenging - I mean learning how to cook, finding ingredients etc etc. even eating out would limit your selections as most restaurants have vegan meals on offer the lack in variety.

The film hasn't changed my perception of vegans but it has changed my perception of food and what we should be eating. 

As a meat eater i'm gonna give it a shot 

I cant wait for Odi to jump out of a box and admitting that he created Josh to troll us. There cant be any other explanation for this mess.

Lol has to be cause no ways a 16 year old boy has nothing better to do than spend his summer holiday on a cycling forum discussing, gym, peanut butter and maths..

So I am a bit lost here, sorry must be the age..... How does math become more or less difficult? Surely the rules are the same and the calculations are the same, or am I missing something?

The matrics do stuff I did in 1st year at varsity...........hmmm...............how shall I say........quite a while ago. ;)

Okes please calm down.

Most of the gym okes call it a 90 degree squat meaning thighs parallel to the floor, just like the chair Eldron posted.

JOSH THE MAN, please dont squat when you are injured. You are looking for trouble with that right leg doing all the work.

I know you dont like listerning to the people on here but go listen to google. Form is more important than the actual weight. If you cant complete all the sets with perfect form, dont do it.

You're right form is way more important than doing more... I'll go easy on the squatting next Friday and do it correctly this time. Edited by Josh_the. Man