The Veganism Thread

Odinson

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what, i learn every day. I did not know that.

I checked the bread ingredients and no eggs in the loaf we get which is a Hovis product.

The rolls i had however may have had but i have thrown the wrapper away so i dont know.

guess more research is needed in future. Thanks

I'm dead sure there must exist breads that aren't made with eggs I just know most are

Q: How do you know that someone does crossfit, is vegan, or has an MBA?

A: They tell you.

Some of us just choose to not shove it down everyone's throats.

Bruh. To tell everyone on a veganism thread is kindof the whole point ???????? I literally dont tell anyone I'm vegan if i dont know them very well. Only if they ask I'll tell them.

Its basic human instinct to interact with friends/people who are simular than you, or to tell people that you are different than then (telling people you do crossfit because its a unique sport)

I'm dead sure there must exist breads that are made with eggs I just know most aren't

fixed it for you..

"Breads" made with eggs are items like brioche, croissants, stollen and the like. You can tell because they don't go stale the way bread does (that's the effect of the eggs). Regular bread is made with flour, sugar, yeast and water. Salt is added for taste and oil is added for texture.

Edit - 'factory bread' may also use enzyme additives or 'bread improvers' - the enzymes are generally produced using a microbial fermentaion process, but I don't think that microbial products are non-vegan.

Edited by 100Tours

Felt like cheese burgers tonight being a friday night ... so off to Sainsburys 

Beyond meat 2 x 113gr patties on special for 4 quid. (normally 5 quid) 

Some vegan cheese another 2 

Vegan spreadable "butter"  another 3 

And then bought some other vegan stuff. 

All not cheap at all. But was surprised at the range available. I wont be using substitutes too often but some junk food is good too i spose. 

I assume a vegan diet contains a fair amount of beans and lentils? how do you guys handle the gas issues associated with these foods? Or is it just my stomach?

I assume a vegan diet contains a fair amount of beans and lentils? how do you guys handle the gas issues associated with these foods? Or is it just my stomach?

I don't think I ever had a problem with it, my wife did for a while .. I want to say she took a probiotic but I can't actually remember.

Either way I'm sure your body will get used to it after a while.

Vegan spreadable "butter" another 3

All not cheap at all. But was surprised at the range available. I wont be using substitutes too often but some junk food is good too i spose.

Beyond burgers are good, but I fear you will ruin them with vegan cheese. Maybe try the cheese separately first.

Beyond burgers are good, but I fear you will ruin them with vegan cheese. Maybe try the cheese separately first.

thanks ,will try that then. 

Also bought a vegan cookbook, Bosh and leaving through the pages i cant see any pain eating vegan as the recipes look great. 

Will keep at it til end of november and see where we go with it. 

While its been way too soon (day 13) and quite possibly psychosomatic ( and possibly self fulfilling prophecy kind of thing) the experience on a physical level has been astounding. 

Vegan spreadable "butter"  another 3 

Beyond burgers are great, Im making some tonight.

Definitely not cheap and not very healthy but oh so gooooood!

Vegan cheese is nasty stuff. I wouldnt recommend trying it "raw" its not completely disgusting when its melted but I will still rather avoid it.

So if been to the docter to get a prescription for Ritalin. I said to my mom whatever she does she should please keep quite about my brother and I being vegan because not all docters are even close to being educated on the subject. But she couldnt help herself being proud of her boys. The docter used the same old saying, "IRON, CALCIUM, PrOTeiN"

My mom being a graphic designer for UJ can help my make a pamphlet as to what vegan means and the basics you need to know. The pamphlet is strictly going to be about the diet and environmental part.

Id honestly like to hear your thoughts on this. Is it a good idea to hand out a pamphlet?

My mom think its a terrible idea and that people are going to dislike me for it.

Edited by Grass Muncher

This is why people don't like vegans; because of the activists, it's just strange that the few activists have managed to define an entire lifestyle in this instance.

In the same way we don't want to be approached by anyone - be they sea rescue, feeding child orphans, or sparing the earth and animals, I don't think you'll get any traction from the public.

But if you feel the need to actively promote veganism, then it's one of the few options available to you.

Thats the thing. I dont want to be preachy, nor do I want to be an activist. I dont have anything to gain like a charity. So by giving them the pamphlet I can save them time so that they dont have to listen to me because ultimately there's a chance that they are going to get pissed. They then have the option to read my pamphlet or not.

People dont change until they feel the need to want to. Very true, it took 8 months for my one friend to finally do a bit of research on the topic and now he's a vegetarian for 2 months.

Edited by Grass Muncher