[Event] Around The Pot 100miler

Petrichor Adventures

I was riding behind the bike when the crash happened. There was a crash in front of the bike and he had no choice to brake/stop. Alot of riders passed the bike in the neutral zone and that is a recipe for disaster.

I must say. I did not even know it was neutral zone. The Start line was very noisy and could hardly hear anything about the race briefing.

Not sure what best way to handle this.. maybe two bikes at front forcing people to keep back?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall them mentioning a 2x increase in entrants this year - I was surprised that they didn’t start the event in batches which would have controlled the large bunch that had formed near the front during the neutral zone.

Always interesting to watch the riders trying to get to the front, even at times riding across the white line on the N2 with huge trucks in the oncoming traffic.

My recollection of the quad bike accident was a little different, it had sounded like he had missed a gear as the bike was revving in very high gears before he came to a stop and the ensuing drama commenced. A couple of us bailed into the ditch in the side of the road, not all with wheels down ????

Well, I grossly underestimated that route... Did plenty of training but not enough climbing... Ended up throwing in the towel at WP2 but had to go through to WP3 to get a ride home... Absolutely suffered and the mud wasn't fun when I had long ago bonked.

Really impressed with the organisation, I thought the event was awesome. Didn't enjoy the start pen. People shoving bikes over the fences, pushing and shoving their way around... Really wasn't pleasant and really shouldn't have a place in our sport.

Water points were awesome and we'll stocked, was the first time I've been at the back end of a race and nice to see the entire selection was still available right to the end.

Will be back next year, probably won't be tackling the 160 for a while, so will do the 100km route next time around!

First time at this event. Initially was in for the 100miler but not knowing the route/area i changed to the 60 instead. Found the distance and elevation to be just right for me.

The waterpoints were great with a decent spread and well stocked. The hot chocolate at the first waterpoint was a treat as at that point my fingers were burning from the cold (i washed my long finger gloves a few days before the event but when kitting up on the day i realized they were beautifully clean and fresh, still at home!).

The route for the most part was beautiful. There is just something special to me about riding through farmlands on crisp cool mornings. The sun coming up over the mountains, beams shining through the clouds and onto the fields, cattle and sheep in the distance. It was simply heaven.

I found the gravel sections to be in a rather good condition over all. I did notice there were a number of gravel bikes punctured over the first couple of gravel km's though.

Crossing the river on the ferry was a fun experience.

Thanks to the organisers and volunteers. Also thanks for the free bike wash at the finish area. That was a great idea and a very welcome service.

Spending the weekend in Swellendam was also a great outing for the family. It is a gorgeous town and we will be back.

Well run event. Those last 5km seemed brutal but better than last year. 100km more than enough for me. I waited around to watch my mate finish the 100miler at the sharp end and watched Mike P win - I’ve heard of him, never seen him. Bloody hell he is some specimen! Looking at him you don’t think cyclist but he drilled the rest. Very impressed

Edited by Waynemol

:clap: :clap:

and now for some from the back markers

I can ask them to write one, but I am not sure they would like to be called back markers!

My second around the pot 100 miler - excellent event marred by only 1 or two glitches. The start is less than ideal - all those riders trying to squeeze through that tiny gate at the showground exit followed by a mad dash in the dark through a supposed neutral zone with only about 30 percent of the field with a tails light onto a national road which isn't closed. 

My natural caution shrieks that this is an accident waiting to happen.

Once off the tar however, and with my memories of how much I suffered in the second half last year informing my pace and feeling quietly smug about opting for the plush comfort of Princess Merida (dual suss) over Checkpoint Charlie (gravel bike) as I watched how much the gravel bikes were bouncing around on some of the descents, I settled in to enjoy the ride.

Rolling hills are not my first love in this sport. I prefer my climbs long and windy rather than straight up and down and up and down again so that I can settle into a good rhythm and hopefully build up a head of steam as I go and so the section leading to the pont was a good test of mental strength.

I passed a Savage (gasp!!! I know right??) who was spitting grit out his mouth and trying to lick his eyeballs clean  just before the pont who told me my mud guard was "pure gold". Again I was quietly smug.

A very sweet child came up to me as I dismounted and handed me a roosterkoek met spek en eier which I consumed like the wild mamil I am, popped 3 hammer electrolyte pills, smashed a caffeine gel, met up with one of my Trans Baviaans team mates from the MTBGoats (I'm the only southern suburbs member) splashed some Breede water on my drivetrain to get rid of the worst grinding noises and took the obligatory "What's the pont" selfie while halfway across.

I knew that the last 60 was hard and so I had my mind firmly under control.

And then a stroke of luck.

Just after the 2nd waterpoint after the pont I fell in with a really nice paceline with a real mamilian beast who was pulling along a few others. I gratefully took up a spot on 3rd wheel and shamelessly wheelsucked for 12 kilometers. The pace slowed a bit and I thought I'd take a turn and accidentally dropped them!

This NEVER happens. I am always the dropee, never the dropper and I have come to regard this as the natural order of the universe. I was totally surprised and didn't know what to do. So I jut carried on pedalling - smoking my way past slow short route riders and one or two weary looking long routers.

As an aside, I think the aforementioned beast was hanging back to look after his mates and I soothed the twinge of guilt and shame I felt as I broke the midpacker code and rode off having reaped the benefits of the group's work by telling myself "Hey, that's racing!"

I smashed the jeep track climb faster than all my strava followers bar one and finished in what for me is the astonishing time of 7:17. 

Great race bar the start - lovely roosterkoek - fantastic countryside - the kind of day that makes me happy to be alive and ensures that I'll make a more consistent effort to be up in the early hours to do the training.

Already looking forward to next year.

My second around the pot 100 miler - excellent event marred by only 1 or two glitches. The start is less than ideal - all those riders trying to squeeze through that tiny gate at the showground exit followed by a mad dash in the dark through a supposed neutral zone with only about 30 percent of the field with a tails light onto a national road which isn't closed.

My natural caution shrieks that this is an accident waiting to happen.

Once off the tar however, and with my memories of how much I suffered in the second half last year informing my pace and feeling quietly smug about opting for the plush comfort of Princess Merida (dual suss) over Checkpoint Charlie (gravel bike) as I watched how much the gravel bikes were bouncing around on some of the descents, I settled in to enjoy the ride.

Rolling hills are not my first love in this sport. I prefer my climbs long and windy rather than straight up and down and up and down again so that I can settle into a good rhythm and hopefully build up a head of steam as I go and so the section leading to the pont was a good test of mental strength.

I passed a Savage (gasp!!! I know right??) who was spitting grit out his mouth and trying to lick his eyeballs clean just before the pont who told me my mud guard was "pure gold". Again I was quietly smug.

A very sweet child came up to me as I dismounted and handed me a roosterkoek met spek en eier which I consumed like the wild mamil I am, popped 3 hammer electrolyte pills, smashed a caffeine gel, met up with one of my Trans Baviaans team mates from the MTBGoats (I'm the only southern suburbs member) splashed some Breede water on my drivetrain to get rid of the worst grinding noises and took the obligatory "What's the pont" selfie while halfway across.

I knew that the last 60 was hard and so I had my mind firmly under control.

And then a stroke of luck.

Just after the 2nd waterpoint after the pont I fell in with a really nice paceline with a real mamilian beast who was pulling along a few others. I gratefully took up a spot on 3rd wheel and shamelessly wheelsucked for 12 kilometers. The pace slowed a bit and I thought I'd take a turn and accidentally dropped them!

This NEVER happens. I am always the dropee, never the dropper and I have come to regard this as the natural order of the universe. I was totally surprised and didn't know what to do. So I jut carried on pedalling - smoking my way past slow short route riders and one or two weary looking long routers.

As an aside, I think the aforementioned beast was hanging back to look after his mates and I soothed the twinge of guilt and shame I felt as I broke the midpacker code and rode off having reaped the benefits of the group's work by telling myself "Hey, that's racing!"

I smashed the jeep track climb faster than all my strava followers bar one and finished in what for me is the astonishing time of 7:17.

Great race bar the start - lovely roosterkoek - fantastic countryside - the kind of day that makes me happy to be alive and ensures that I'll make a more consistent effort to be up in the early hours to do the training.

Already looking forward to next year.

We can guess which Savage you spoke to.. 3c710fa67a1a1e621cf559fc88771476.jpg

a view from the back.

as my ride started from the bontebok park at 6am for a nice warmup and not to wake up my family i embarked in great spirit for the 8km trek to the start line.  Great thanks must go the Ketso, the park manager that opened the gate at 06h30 in the morning.  just as it opened a couple of fellow riders emerged from the park, but with bike in vehicles wrapped in the cocoon of an warm air conditioned vehicles.  

at the start i was surprised to see so many riders.  As the weather was predicted to be cold and this being a TB training/equipment etc check i invested in a pair of leg warmers against my own better judgement.  This turned out to be one of my best acquisitions and i will never ever again judge anybody wearing it is sub 5degC weather.  if its double digits you will be judged.

i took my place in the start pen at latter park of the back and was not amused nor supprised by people forcing their way to the front on climb over the side of the barriers.  if you are late, you are late and you join at the back of the que unless you are a seasoned pro A batch rider.  the "druk gang" out of the start gate was intersting to see people loosing it in the first 5meters  :blink: .  yet again, maybe start in the road next time.

After the somewhat chaotic start procedure and being in the back, there was certainty that i will not be drafting today.  I did catch up to some form of a group for the tar section, but after the left turn it was groepies of 2 or 3.  As i have never done such a distance in one go, i decided to keep in around the upper zone2 lower 3 levels in order to not blow up 50km from the end.  This meant that the groups where either to fast cause i have crashed and burned before and not willing to change my game plan i accepted that it will be a lonely solo ride for the next 140odd kms.  I soon realised that this put me in an unfamiliar position of being a real back marker. :ph34r: As i accepted this mentally things were looking up.  I must comment on the water points.  not one was empty when i got there and they where well stocked.  

The rain that was playing see saw with my rain jacket caused me to put on/ off a couple of times as it is then too hot when the sun comes out,  i will have to look at this for TB as i have lost too much time going though this exercise.  The most astonishing fact for me about the mud that as soon as you went over the ferry it was bone dry, the other side was wet.  some farmers might have upset the weather gods closer to town is what was going through my mind.  the mud, was not an issue because it wasnt "klei".  it came of quickly and was not sticky as to clogg up the drive train and tyres.  the rain jacked worked wonders here to keep me warm and clean.

the malgas station was heaven as this was like a oasis after trekking though the desert.  The breakfast bun - can you still call it that if its after 13h30 ?  was excellent and i think i must look in taking more solids for such a long ride it worked perfectly without any issues.

the ferry crossing was cool, but after this there must be some sizmic activity playing about cause it felt that my gps was sitting on km112-120 for ever.  every time  i looked down it was still on the same number  :devil: .  mind over matter i told myself and just kept on going staying in my designated range of afford.  as the temperature went above double digits i adored it, but then as i got closer to town it droped to 7.5 again, i started to feel as if my glute stiffens up so much due toe cold that i could no longer get of my bike from the one side  :blush:

The run in to town was cool and i used all that left over red zone reserve to empty the tank the last 15km.  I finished strong, happy with my effort and conquered new territory both mentally and physically.   I really did not find an issue with the one wooden bridge that we crossed as per complaint already, seriously if you cant ride that then stick to the road bike.

the good stuff:

water points/route markings

gravel was it pristine condition no "sinkplaat" 

general race orginzation.

NO WIND !!

the friendly fellow back-markers you guys and ladies are cool.

mental strength for solo so long

the bad stuff:

entitled punks pushing in the start pen

"druk gang" in the beginning

no bike wash when i finished well before race cutoff

i have been standing for the whole morning and have not had the guts to sit down yet :ph34r: