What are the consequences of riding into a car parked in a bike lane?

Schmorglebot

I work in an area with a fair amount of bike lanes, and 10 times out of 10 there are cars parked in said bike lanes. The days that I commute involve sticking to the bike lanes, looking over my shoulder, passing a parked car etc etc.

My question is, what are the consequences if I were to plow into a car parked in a bike lane? The car shouldn't be there so I can only assume that their insurance wont pay out, but then again I shouldn't be plowing into parked cars.

Who is liable for what and should I build a bike with an indestructible front wheel, invest in riot gear and go riding?

This could have waited til Friday I know...

Planning to fit a bulbar? I thought of making stickers and sticking it on all the cars that park in Woodstock bike lane but ill probably end up getting m0erd.

Please don't, you'll only make the cyclists that come along after you a (bigger) target.

Planning to fit a bulbar? I thought of making stickers and sticking it on all the cars that park in Woodstock bike lane but ill probably end up getting m0erd.

The type of stickers that are near impossible to remove.

I'll take 100 of those for now please... Thanks

Inside Cape Town CBD the bike lanes have just become another parking lane ....

From a drivers perspective - these extra parking lanes are causing even more headaches for traffic flow !!

It does not leave enough room left for normal traffic flow.  

It must be an absolute nightmare on a bicycle .....