Bike Hub 2019 Commuters Challenge

Imploder

So I haven't been commuting as ive been fixing my bike. My time (and skills) are limited so its been taking a lot longer than expected. Last night my wife got fed up and said I must buy a second bike so at least I always have one thats good to go when im doing work on my other one. Ill take that!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still of the bike but hoping to start riding by Thursday at the latest. Really missing the rides.

Winter is here and I may need to look at getting a better light as it will be completely dark by the time I get home.

Enjoy and safe riding!

Still the 'flu keeping you off he bike. Feel better soon!

Still of the bike but hoping to start riding by Thursday at the latest. Really missing the rides.

Winter is here and I may need to look at getting a better light as it will be completely dark by the time I get home.

Enjoy and safe riding!

Yes the dark comes earlier now, but only 2 weeks to go to the winter solstice (21 June), then it will start staying lighter later again :)

Cape Town sunrise and sunset times differ quite a bit from Jhb ... morning ride sometimes begin and end in the dark at the moment ....

Johannesburg. 6:54. 17:24. 10 h 29 min

Cape Town. 7:51. 17:44. 9 h 53 min

The morning ride in the dark is awesome, the evening ride sometimes get a bit rough when it rains, maneuvering between the pavement and the buses.

But it’s always better than taking the car :)

Yes the dark comes earlier now, but only 2 weeks to go to the winter solstice (21 June), then it will start staying lighter later again :)

Cape Town sunrise and sunset times differ quite a bit from Jhb ... morning ride sometimes begin and end in the dark at the moment ....

Johannesburg. 6:54. 17:24. 10 h 29 min

Cape Town. 7:51. 17:44. 9 h 53 min

The morning ride in the dark is awesome, the evening ride sometimes get a bit rough when it rains, maneuvering between the pavement and the buses.

But it’s always better than taking the car :)

Last week I had an OTB in the dark. Was on the pavement, bricked sidewalk that went to a concrete slab thing over a wide drain on the side of the road. As it came into my light I saw one of the slabs had tilted. Not being Nino, having a bag on my back and seeing it late I decided a bunny hop was not going to end well, so slammed on brakes but didn't stop in time properly. Ended up hitting the tilted piece with my front wheel and in front of my bike in a weird looking yoga type stance. Luckily nothing damaged on me or bike. Luckily I don't think anyone saw this mishap so my ego was still in tact.

Yup, still the sniffles, though I suspect it was more than just flu.

Started feeling better yesterday so will see how it goes.

I am in Polokwane, mornings are fine, but evening not so cool. I have 8km gravel, generally ok, except when a Polokwane bricks truck comes racing past.

With all the dust it can take up to 5min to see anything depending on the wind.

going to be a cold and wet ride home into the wind tonight

It was a freakin monster .... I was drenched within the first km and then had to continue the next 20km in some of the heaviest rain we had in years ...????????????

Can't wait for the sun to come back. Think I must plan a long(ish) commute for 21 June to celebrate the sun's return - only 2 weeks to go  :clap:

Finally commuted yesterday and thus morning. Left bike at work tonight and will ride home tomorrow night. Felt good to be on the bike.

Yesterday evening must have been my slowest ride in about 2years.

Just glad to be riding again!

Must admit that I'm kind of grateful that the shoulder injury has given me a solid excuse with the way the Cape weather was lately. :blush: