Lyne Products - The Holy Rail Thread

Dirt Tracker

copycat :)

Great minds think alike!!  :whistling:

Had that on my bike since about March this year. Just dropped the rail a bit lower in the meantime, it now sits nicely in the triangle. 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great minds think alike!!  :whistling:

Had that on my bike since about March this year. Just dropped the rail a bit lower in the meantime, it now sits nicely in the triangle. 

Yeah fitted mine just after DC last year. Need to get the other bike set up similarly. Its so fit and forget and no need to transfer or share tools between bikes.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone else had their Lyne multitool rust? Fitted into the Quickdraw multiholder on a holy rail in May 2019 and not used much since then then. Needed it over the holidays but the Allen keys are rusted solid, I couldn't even separate them from each other.

In retrospect it probably should have removed and sprayed with Q20 once in a while but my Specialized frame mounted multitool has been on my epic for 4 years and still looks brand new.

post-19421-0-15446400-1609918931_thumb.jpgpost-19421-0-60111300-1609918943_thumb.jpg

Same with mine. Starting to rust after about a month on the bike.

- Couple of muddy rides

- 2 bike washes with Dirt Nurse

I'm starting to have second thoughts about buying certain Lyne items again. First issue was a chainring that lasted only 1000km and now a tool that is meant to be exposed to the elements rusting. 

Good solutions at good prices with great marketing behind it. Is the quality there though...

Edit: Rephrased portion in bold.

Edited by DR ◣◢

I dunno, I have never owned a multi tool that didn't rust. Especially one left on the bike.

Take it apart, spray it with some non conductive electrical spray and it will stay with that lovely patina finish forever.

Nix, I see you are in Cape Town..... Eish. I live in Muizenberg. I've seen stainless steel rust overnight here. Add some sweat into the mix as well if it sits on a bottle cage and you have a recipe for corrosion.

- Couple of muddy rides

I'm starting to have second thoughts about buying anything Lyne again. First issue was a chainring that lasted only 1000km and now a tool that is meant to be exposed to the elements rusting. 

Good solutions at good prices with great marketing behind it. Is the quality there though...

As an aside, I've had a set of Lyne cranks going since 2016. They have been thrashed and they are still perfect. Some Lyne Hubs which have been pulled through the ring too. I even have 1 x 1st gen 27.2mm dropper which is going on close to 5 years without a service and still works as it shoud.

So IMHO, there is definitely quality in the lineup. Leaving a tool in a case/slip on the bike is asking for trouble in any environment. 

I've had Absolute Black chainrings last 5000km and one last 300km. Throwing a blanket on a brand like that is dangerous. There are far more happy customers than those who feel hard done by. 

So I will keep supporting them as their overall standard is great and their support is amazing. Have you shot a mail to them regarding your chainring?

I'm just curious. Not throwing a blanket at all. I'm happy with the cranks and wheels. 

I have sent a mail about the chainring. Waiting patiently for a reply.

I'm just curious. Not throwing a blanket at all. I'm happy with the cranks and wheels.

I've generally had good luck. I've had 4 droppers, and they have been awesome - no issues at all. I would not hesitate to buy another. I've also had good luck with the Lyne Holy Rail on two bikes, they held up well.

Where I have not had good luck was the cranks, 2 bent crankarms, another stipped bolt. The chainrings also haven't lasted well.

What I can say though, is that with any issues Lyne have stood by their warranty, and sorted me out every single time without hassles.

I also know that when they have issues they sort them out - for example as far as I know they are getting a new manufacturer for the cranks (this is purely hearsay, I don't have facts). But anyway, I would not hesitate to buy from them purely because of how good their aftersales service is. No brand is perfect, and when they take feedback onboard and make improvements I will keep supporting them - eapecially a local company run by an innovative designer.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

They are currently offline, will be back next week. Is on the site as well

I've generally had good luck. I've had 4 droppers, and they have been awesome - no issues at all. I would not hesitate to buy another. I've also had good luck with the Lyne Holy Rail on two bikes, they held up well.

Where I have not had good luck was the cranks, 2 bent crankarms, another stipped bolt. The chainrings also haven't lasted well.

What I can say though, is that with any issues Lyne have stood by their warranty, and sorted me out every single time without hassles.

I also know that when they have issues they sort them out - for example as far as I know they are getting a new manufacturer for the cranks (this is purely hearsay, I don't have facts). But anyway, I would not hesitate to buy from them purely because of how good their aftersales service is. No brand is perfect, and when they take feedback onboard and make improvements I will keep supporting them - eapecially a local company run by an innovative designer.

Correct, I've got an older chainring and as per the other thread has close 10000kms with still no chain suck. I'm on a chain and cassette that has over 7500kms.

I've got a new chainring of the newer chainrinngs in my spares, didn't need to fit as i bought a crank off bikehub. Only bought off bikehub as the newer cranks is still in sampling/testing.

Within the next few months we'll hear and see more about the new cranks

Also, as Grease_Monkey has stated, if your chainring does fall under a warranty claim, you'll have very little hassles having a new one sent to you

I think there is a bit of a disconnect here. I’m not calling Lyne out and saying it’s a **** company with **** products.

I’ve had various lengthy discussions with Dayle about specific requirements and he even sent me technical drawings of products to ensure i’ll have proper measurements to fit. This just shows the commitment and trust he has in his brand.

I merely said I’m concerned about the quality of the two products that didn’t perform to expectations when compared to similar products from other manufacturers.

In this case a chainring from Lyne vs SRAM with the same km on it and a multi tool from specialized subjected to the same riding conditions and maintenance.

Lyne has my support and I’ve recommended them on various occasions to other riders.

I dunno, I have never owned a multi tool that didn't rust. Especially one left on the bike.

Take it apart, spray it with some non conductive electrical spray and it will stay with that lovely patina finish forever.

Nix, I see you are in Cape Town..... Eish. I live in Muizenberg. I've seen stainless steel rust overnight here. Add some sweat into the mix as well if it sits on a bottle cage and you have a recipe for corrosion.

@Jewbacca I agree it was probably not the ideal way to treat it. The lyne tool is actually on my mom's mtb (mother's day present - that's how I remember it was purchased in May!) She lives in Bergvliet and that bike is almost exclusively used at their holiday house at Breede river (she does ride down to infanta so it does get some sea air).

However, compare that to my Specialized swat tool which lives in Lakeside, on a bike that gets ridden almost weekly and was purchased in 2016. It looks like this:

post-19421-0-34812000-1609930475_thumb.jpgpost-19421-0-13223600-1609930518_thumb.jpg

I did email Lyne with some pics but I have not heard back from them. I wanted to know if I could just buy a replacement tool without the holder. This is so far rusted I don't know if it is salvageable, I will try some electrical spray.

I think for anyone owning a lyne multitool just look after it a bit more carefully.

I think there is a bit of a disconnect here. I’m not calling Lyne out and saying it’s a **** company with **** products.

I’ve had various lengthy discussions with Dayle about specific requirements and he even sent me technical drawings of products to ensure i’ll have proper measurements to fit. This just shows the commitment and trust he has in his brand.

I merely said I’m concerned about the quality of the two products that didn’t perform to expectations when compared to similar products from other manufacturers.

In this case a chainring from Lyne vs SRAM with the same km on it and a multi tool from specialized subjected to the same riding conditions and maintenance.

Lyne has my support and I’ve recommended them on various occasions to other riders.

I can't speak for anyone else, but didn't take your post as calling Lyne out... just adding my 2c.

Has anyone else had their Lyne multitool rust? Fitted into the Quickdraw multiholder on a holy rail in May 2019 and not used much since then then. Needed it over the holidays but the Allen keys are rusted solid, I couldn't even separate them from each other.

In retrospect it probably should have removed and sprayed with Q20 once in a while but my Specialized frame mounted multitool has been on my epic for 4 years and still looks brand new.

attachicon.gif20210106_093914.jpgattachicon.gif20210106_093858.jpg

ditto, also same with the rail fittings. Screws and  threaded sliders all rusted to &^$t

The wolftooth rail on my MTB is still 100% fine. raised the rust issue with my LBS but I don't know if Lyne is interested.

multi tool went in the bin last year already. 

- Couple of muddy rides

I'm starting to have second thoughts about buying anything Lyne again. First issue was a chainring that lasted only 1000km and now a tool that is meant to be exposed to the elements rusting. 

SNIP

I read the sentence in bold, then read these and the disconnect is perhaps, as Archer would put it, 'Phrasing'.

But ja, Dayle has my support due to his after sales service and solutions and pretty cool attitude 

I read the sentence in bold, then read these and the disconnect is perhaps, as Archer would put it, 'Phrasing'.

But ja, Dayle has my support due to his after sales service and solutions and pretty cool attitude 

I could have phrased that differently. Agreed.