Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

I think you're 100% right. Improving fitness would make a MASSIVE difference to most of us. Not only in dragging you up the strava leader boards it also with injury prevention when the inevitable does happen.

Having said that at the pleb end of the sport we need good bikes to compensate for shitty technique, boeps, brain fade. But for now I'll stick with my wagon wheels and admire Maes from this side of the Tele.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To continue my monolog.

If you look at the Supercross guys. They are pretty much obsessive about fitness and conditioning. That is about race fitness but it's also about injury prevention. They have MASSIVE get offs and walk away. Don't think that's cos of the roost guard they are wearing. That's fitness.

*caveat. I make no fitness claims and I like pies.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

To continue my monolog.

If you look at the Supercross guys. They are pretty much obsessive about fitness and conditioning. That is about race fitness but it's also about injury prevention. They have MASSIVE get offs and walk away. Don't think that's cos of the roost guard they are wearing. That's fitness.

*caveat. I make no fitness claims

What's good conditioning for trail/Enduro type riding, I'm familiar sort of with getting fit and racing being a roadie an all

What's good conditioning for trail/Enduro type riding, I'm familiar sort of with getting fit and racing being a roadie an all

Build upper body muscle. You'll fatigue less on a descent, be able to better man-handle the bike and have more protection when falling.

Including strong core. If you can't L-sit or hollow sit for a decent time period your core is poo.

Things like pushups even or holding a plank in a half pushup position will simulate keeping strong over the handlebars, etc.

Also I have found recently, squats, walking lunges, static lunges, hamstring curls, etc have been a big help to overall pedalling fitness and muscle fatigue.

You are asking the WRONG oke. I am only interested in one thing and one thing only. That's Morzine.

In an effort to #getstrongformorz

I'm averaging about 125km a week on the bike(s). About 70km of this is in a spinning studio. I have major time constraints so this usually happens when it's still dark. I've been told that spinning doesn't count by some but that's usually said from the comfort of the couch with a beer in one hand and a smartphone in the other. We've dialed back the road riding a bit doing mostly coffee runs on Sunday mornings at the moment.

I'm also doing 50 of these a day * 4 times a week

Push ups

pull ups

sit ups

bicep curls (10kg)

bench press (20kg)

a sort of shoulder pull thing (20kg)

hand squishies (500 per hand)

It remains to be seen if I'll be any stronger this year than last year when i did fokkol. Personally for riding i think having lekker friss arms and being able to bench 120kg is a waste of time and would rather work on light weights and many reps which more accurately mimics what happens on the trail.

But having said all that my trophy cabinet is pretty empty so....

Edited by Duane_Bosch

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but coming from a gyming/bodybuilding background I picked up crossfit from the start of this year.

I am much fitter and stronger on the bike now than I was last year, even dropped a few kg too. Last year I was putting in (not consistently) around 100km per week on the mtb (no other exercise), this year my schedule looks something like this:

Mon: Crossfit

Tuesday: Crossfit

Wed: Mtb

Thurs: Crossfit

Fri: Mtb

Sat: Longer mtb ride

I'm not that consistent with following it religiously, and I am not the right person to be giving advice on fitness, but I must say that for me this has made a massive difference, esepcially on longer descents and short hard efforts.

But I digress, there is actually a dedicated thread for this.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

You are asking the WRONG oke. I am only interested in one thing and one thing only. That's Morzine.

In an effort to #getstrongformorz

I'm averaging about 125km a week on the bike(s). About 70km of this is in a spinning studio. I have major time constraints so this usually happens when it's still dark. I've been told that spinning doesn't count by some but that's usually said from the comfort of the couch with a beer in one hand and a smartphone in the other. We've dialed back the road riding a bit doing mostly coffee runs on Sunday mornings at the moment.

Push ups

pull ups

sit ups

bicep curls (10kg)

bench press (20kg)

It remains to be seen if I'll be any stronger this year than last year when i did fokkol. Personally for riding i think having lekker friss arms and being able to bench 120kg is a waste of time and would rather work on light weights and many reps which more accurately mimic what happens on the trail.

But having said all that my trophy cabinet is pretty empty so....

Like most things, a strong posterior chain will benefit you more than having an aesthetic anterior physique. 

If you're not going full out strength training, at least do some bent-over rows, romanian dead lifts. 15 min on those stepper machines also helps for endurance as you can target glutes and hammies on it depending on your positioning.

I probably do core once a year, and when I do it's just to make sure I can still do a set of 10 of these;

RIaro.jpg

Edited by stefmeister

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but coming from a gyming/bodybuilding background I picked up crossfit from the start of this year.

How will you know if someone does crossfit?

Push ups

pull ups

sit ups

bicep curls (10kg)

bench press (20kg)

and not one squat, good morning or deadlift. of all the things NOT to do. wtf duane ;)

Hahaha he was asking what works! But touché

Haha. Just messing. A mate of mine has recommended it to me but I did enough exercise till you puke in the Army thank you very much.

same way you know someone's going to morzine? :whistling:

Haaahaha. Busted. They'll tell you again and again and again. Then they'll start a thread specifically about it. Then respond to their own responses on said thread.

They'll also post the same pic of the place on multiple threads. Crucially not on the same day.

and not one squat, good morning or deadlift. of all the things NOT to do. wtf duane ;)

I do that stuff at home. No deadlift equipment there. But maybe squats.... Thanks for the advice

Edited by Duane_Bosch