Enduro/gravity bike suspension and geo

Headshot

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, thebob said:

Do you know if you are running the new Debonair spring with the smaller negative spring or the older one with the bigger negative spring?

image.png.04845f7029880478ec68aa4844786191.png

24 minutes ago, Wheelie87 said:

image.png.04845f7029880478ec68aa4844786191.png

So bigger negative air chamber. That means the fork sucks down into its travel a little more than the new one and should be more sensitive off the top. It does mean you might want a bit more air pressure than the suggested chart pressure to keep the midstroke nice and supportive. Maybe 115PSI?

4 minutes ago, thebob said:

So bigger negative air chamber. That means the fork sucks down into its travel a little more than the new one and should be more sensitive off the top. It does mean you might want a bit more air pressure than the suggested chart pressure to keep the midstroke nice and supportive. Maybe 115PSI?

Thanks!
Bear with me here, but the reason I go down to ~100psi is that it feels less harsh and I actually use most of the travel when coming down e.g. Jonkers etc whereas it felt quite harsh and I noticed that I hardly used all the travel  and on a 140mm I want use as much as possible.
Is this logic flawed ?

9 minutes ago, MajG said:

Self populated or downloaded from various websites?

Thanks for the info

Taken from manufacturers sites, but i weigh every tyre i get and most at my LBS and the comparison to stated masses is well within manufacturing error IMO.

Wheelie 87 - apparently its a trait of longer travel air springs. I'm running 180mm up front on the basic air spring - no debonair or fancy addons. If you  run lower air pressure, the rebound speed suffers even at the fastest setting on my more basic damper. So I've simply found a happy medium and left it at that. 

49 minutes ago, Wheelie87 said:

Thanks!
Bear with me here, but the reason I go down to ~100psi is that it feels less harsh and I actually use most of the travel when coming down e.g. Jonkers etc whereas it felt quite harsh and I noticed that I hardly used all the travel  and on a 140mm I want use as much as possible.
Is this logic flawed ?

100% correct. But, do you really need to use all the travel? I usually have 1cm to 2cm unused after a normal ride on my 150mm Pike with my setup as described earlier. If I were you I'd see how many volume spacers you have an try taking one out and setting it to 115PSI. If it feels better, take out another spacer (assuming you have more than one installed). It does take a bit of trial and error, but it is worth it to get there in the end. From trawling the overseas forums, higher pressures and fewer volume spacers offers a more comfortable ride.

1 minute ago, thebob said:

100% correct. But, do you really need to use all the travel? I usually have 1cm to 2cm unused after a normal ride on my 150mm Pike with my setup as described earlier. If I were you I'd see how many volume spacers you have an try taking one out and setting it to 115PSI. If it feels better, take out another spacer (assuming you have more than one installed). It does take a bit of trial and error, but it is worth it to get there in the end. From trawling the overseas forums, higher pressures and fewer volume spacers offers a more comfortable ride.

Good idea. I run no volume spacers on my 180 fork and I weigh about 87kg. I'm sitting at under 60psi and also usually have 20mm unused unless I've done something stupid. 

22 minutes ago, thebob said:

But, do you really need to use all the travel? 

I would definitely like to use all of it if I can - it is just a 140mm
Call my crazy but I get a sense of accomplishment when the red o-ring is right below the Debon Air inscription after a lekker ride haha

Will phone a friend to help me confirm amount of tokens and proceed to remove and test as recommended. (not a great maccie myself)

21 hours ago, StevieG said:

Do any of you run tyre inserts for your Enduro rigs?

I have a Schwalbe Super Gravity casing on the back with an insert. Even with that intense casing I was bottoming out the tyres, but I am big and ride about as graceful as a bowling ball down a ladder. On the front I've got a Super Trail casing, but have even had good luck with an EXO+ casing. 

2 minutes ago, Adr!@n said:

I have a Schwalbe Super Gravity casing on the back with an insert. Even with that intense casing I was bottoming out the tyres, but I am big and ride about as graceful as a bowling ball down a ladder. On the front I've got a Super Trail casing, but have even had good luck with an EXO+ casing. 

Tyre pressure and rider mass at bottomout on the SG casing?

I should have noted mine too actually...74/5kg kitted and 24PSI on 2018 Transition Patrol with 168mm rear travel (Cascade Link).

These are useful and interesting comparisons to make me thinks :)