Riders attacked and assaulted on Jonkershoek road (13/01/2019)

JohanC

driverless cars. thats the only solution. Strip out the ego from the driving

Disagree, imagine a few cyclists up ahead the car won't pass (I'm assuming here, cause of the cyclists being an obstruction) the person sitting in the car has all the time in the world to strip his or her moer in the car. On the positive side you won't get knocked by said person stripping his or her moer but that's just going to create more tension between the cyclists and non cyclists. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is happining to us????

There is absolutely NO justification.

The pictures give a scary perspective of society today.

I hope the offender gets the same punishment as the baseball bat incident on Ou Kaapse Weg some years ago.

A mate of mine was hit (hit and run) by a car yesterday morning around 09:00 along the Raithby road, along the wannabees route. The car was a white Honda Ballade reg CA 978 669 which sped off.

It seems that this is becoming more and more common. Be careful out there people - This is Africa.

Disagree, imagine a few cyclists up ahead the car won't pass (I'm assuming here, cause of the cyclists being an obstruction) the person sitting in the car has all the time in the world to strip his or her moer in the car. On the positive side you won't get knocked by said person stripping his or her moer but that's just going to create more tension between the cyclists and non cyclists. 

Well my hope is the passenger in the car will be too busy on his smartphone to care and the car will actually follow the rules of the road. I find the minute you move someone from driver to passenger there is a mind-shift change for the better - supported by smartphone entertainment ;). I find that even with Uber atm i.e the passenger is normally actually pretty chilled when they are NOT driving. The Uber drivers though whilst still being human at the moment are often unpredictable, stopping randomly, pulling u-turns etc - but at least at a slower speed and generally they aren't as aggressive (cyclist could be your customer tomorrow).  

Edited by Manuel De Jesus

Pics from Strava.

Eish, that really sucks :(. Hope they heal up soon and justice is served.

So I'm scooting down Steenberg road past Westlake the other day. I'm in the cyclelane doing 50km/hr (its downhill)

The offramp for the M3 is ahead and motorists have to turn left. The cycle lane cuts right through it to continue down toward Main Road Kirstenhof.

**** in an Audi with the plates "B*D*SS WP coming screaming past on my right as I get to the off ramp and turns hard right. Brushed the car with left elbow (it hurts). Driver was clearly having fun because he made eye contact and smiled just before he turned.

these deliberate acts of reckless endangerment are on the increase

Yeah I know the exact spot - I normally put my arm out and move into the right lane a few meters before that for this exact reason. Generally when I do that motorist seem to slow down and see that yes I'm riding in the cycling lane, but I'm asking for some space and its only fair to give me a bit of space to go straight.

The road to Jonkershoek gate has a bike or pedestrian path on the side. Thats my safe option. Where exactly did this happen?

Yes, and unfortunately is is illegal to ride on a public road if a cycle path is provided, not to mention that 2 Abreast on a road that has no hard shoulder is also inviting a confrontation. 

That said there is still no justification for things to get violent.

I have ridden the road into Jonkers countless times. Every time I wonder, why can't the municipality build a proper cycling/running lane all the way to the Jonkershoek gate at the end? With the number of cyclists on that road over the weekends along with all the blind corners it is getting pretty dangerous there for cars and cyclists alike.

Because at a point the road is not a public road but a private road belonging to MTO. This is the point that the cycle/pedestrian path stops.

It is horrible what happened to them and the amount of violence on the road towards cyclist but that being said no one will make a U turn to assault someone unless provoked not saying their actions are in any way justifiable.

Just saying there's people on bicycles and in cars who feel entitled and when they meet things go wrong.

If everyone was more considered towards the other road users this type of thing could see a end.

You mean he turned hard left?

I'm not sure if you're reffering to the off ramp or the on-ramp.

I look at that section of cycle lane, and the both the on and offramp looks like an accident waiting to happen. especially early morning coming from oukaaps side with sun in your eyes a driver will just plough through you.

He turned hard left onto the m3

I'll correct my post

He turned hard left onto the m3

I'll correct my post

Sometimes I wait for the traffic to pass. I stop and wait before I move over to the left.

Be safe out there.

Im am 99% sure that everybody here is very much aligned that an assault is not acceptable and that the driver must face the consequences. Charge has been laid, evidence submitted...

What else should we discuss about it?

We can discuss how to prevent more of these though.

How to counter act Newtons 3rd law of human reaction?

post-182-0-69968000-1547492342_thumb.jpg

Yes, and unfortunately is is illegal to ride on a public road if a cycle path is provided, not to mention that 2 Abreast on a road that has no hard shoulder is also inviting a confrontation. 

But most of the time this stretch of cycle path is choc 'n bloc with runners, walkers, dogs, etc. You have no other option than to be in the road. 

Probably been said a million times - but cyclists really need to ride single file on that section of road. It's not about drivers needing to be patient or drive slower (which does need to happen), it's just about the fact that there are blind rises and corners on that road - and when you have cyclists and cars coming and going in both directions it's a recipe for disaster, especially when cyclists are riding 2 or 3 abreast.

I have driven on that road plenty of times to Jonkers where I have passed cyclists thinking they want to die.... and I think I (along with other cyclists in cars) am probably more aware of the cyclists than your average road user.

As a cyclist, just use a bit of common sense, put yourself in the shoes of non cyclist-motorists and think for them. It's not right that we have to do that, but it's the reality, and refusing to accept that will probably end up with you under the bumper of a Fortuner at some point.

I could be wrong but I don't think the path to Jonkers was built as is a cycling path.  It was built for pedestrians.  If you use that path as a cycling path, both ways, and you have runners / walkers on the path as well, combined with all the blind driveways coming out into that path there will be a lot more accidents.  I have used that path once or twice on my MTB until a car came out of nowhere in one of those blind driveways and almost hit me. 

So? These a**h*les need to learn to control their negative emotions or take a bus and train to work. So tired of cyclists people making excuses for bad behaviour