Riders attacked and assaulted on Jonkershoek road (13/01/2019)

JohanC

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stupid question but are you sure they were both on the "roadway" drivers get angry when they cyclist side by side and often they are both in yellow lane and not illegal or one left of yellow line and other on roadway and even that is not illegal

Yes true but motorists don't know that. Most have no clue about the rules of the road.

A pal and I were hooted off the road and then driven off the cycle track in orpen drive constantia yesterday. We were both in the cycle lane riding next to each other. According to the Fortuna driving **** we must be single file at all times. No over lap no stagger, just one behind the other exactly....

The stupid runs strong in SA

The stupid runs strong in SA

That and entitlement holding hands.

I am actually embarrassed after a conversation with two very close friends of mine, who don't cycle, and their attitudes towards cyclists & motorbikes in general (or what they deem to understand of the law).

I got a bit upset, but realised it was like arguing with a brick wall.

They were not going to change their opinions, no matter what.

I have been threatened on the Jonkershoek road before as well. It was a government employee vehicle and the guy threatened me with a knife.

The car in question at that time purposefully pulled out of a drive in front of me and caused me to swerve around him. Obviously I chose the wrong way and shouted at him. But hey tensions were high at that point.

Basically be careful cause even if the car is in the wrong they can hurt you.

Stupid question but are you sure they were both on the "roadway" drivers get angry when they cyclist side by side and often they are both in yellow lane and not illegal or one left of yellow line and other on roadway and even that is not illegal

If one rider is on the gravel and one is on the tarmac then that is perfect. If you are on the tarmac (whether in the yellow line or not) then normal road rules apply to you. Most drivers will obviously overlook it if you ride 2 abreast both within the yellow line, but if one is outside of the line and still 2 abreast (other than while passing each other) so you are affecting traffic for your social needs then that is pushing your luck. Imagine 1 car in the yellow lane at 30kph and their buddy driving next to them in the road at the same speed - the same rules apply.

Coincidentally - given the opening post - the yellow "lane" does not belong to cyclists so you still need to comply with the law. 

Take this as a comment from someone who has cycled for 25 years and tries to practice these habits - I generally hated training for the double century as the teams seem to think they own the road while doing their double pacelines in morning traffic.

Edited by Edge_Design

Arguing where they were/how they were riding etc is all immaterial. 

The fact that violence is such an easy 'go to' reaction is the scary part.

So much 'I will moer/hurt/damage/kill you' knee jerk reaction culture.

Personally there is no place for physical violence in society. It shouldn't be a resort to anything.

If one rider is on the gravel and one is on the tarmac then that is perfect. If you are on the tarmac (whether in the yellow line or not) then normal road rules apply to you. Most drivers will obviously overlook it if you ride 2 abreast both within the yellow line, but if one is outside of the line and still 2 abreast (other than while passing each other) so you are affecting traffic for your social needs then that is pushing your luck. Imagine 1 car in the yellow lane at 30kph and their buddy driving next to them in the road at the same speed - the same rules apply.

Coincidentally - given the opening post - the yellow "lane" does not belong to cyclists so you still need to comply with the law. 

Take this as a comment from someone who has cycled for 25 years and tries to practice these habits - I generally hated training for the double century as the teams seem to think they own the road while doing their double pacelines in morning traffic.

If you are side by side in the yellow lane you not on the roadway and can ride like that.

Cyclist are required to be as far left on the ROADWAY as they feel safe. Roadway is from Middle to Yellow line

The reaction on the driver's were completely unjustified IMO. On the other hand we see all too often how cyclists and runners in groups tend to ride and run 2 or 3 abreast in places that are not practical and downright dangerous. Maybe the rationale behind that is if we are more imposing motorists will see us better or make us an easier target to hit. My favoured route to ride from Bay to Bay on the Atlantic is a nightmare on weekends with runners occupying the entire shoulder in opposite direction forcing rider's into traffic. I stick as far left as I can to avoid being run over no matter where I ride as I would love to make it home in one piece. I know alot of us are trying to be accomodating and at times I contemplate pulling up next to big groups and asking them nicely to ride single file or 2 abreast where it's safe but we know what the response will be most times. Would love to hear from the OP what transpired prior to the altercation yesterday

If you are side by side in the yellow lane you not on the roadway and can ride like that.

Cyclist are required to be as far left on the ROADWAY as they feel safe. Roadway is from Middle to Yellow line

It's largely irrelevant to this thread but please find the law that says that... As far as I am aware you are incorrect. The area within the yellow line serves a specific purpose and it is actually illegal to cycle in it (if the law is applied correctly which it isn't in practice).

I have been threatened on the Jonkershoek road before as well. It was a government employee vehicle and the guy threatened me with a knife.

The car in question at that time purposefully pulled out of a drive in front of me and caused me to swerve around him. Obviously I chose the wrong way and shouted at him. But hey tensions were high at that point.

Basically be careful cause even if the car is in the wrong they can hurt you.

yup, doesn't matter if you're right when you're dead

yup, doesn't matter if you're right when you're dead

I have the right to walk up to some tribal tatted, roided up, Crossfitting, Nicci Beach local's girlfriend and start chatting to her, but I know that not all rights should be exercised as not all people are stable and rational.

Did these cyclists skip a red light?

Maybe not them, but maybe the driver, of both cars, had seen it happening over and over and thats what built up frustrations over time. Maybe these riders did nothing wrong, but because of other cyclists acting like twats they were assaulted. Maybe. 

Definitely no possible way to justify that kind of response but I was surprised at how many people were riding 2 abreast down that road yesterday - lots of blind corners and generally very narrow so it's dangerous enough without cyclists making it even worse for themselves. Chat over beers afterwards, not during the ride (or stick to MTB riding if you want to be social - this is the route I've chosen after many years of road riding).

Given the number of riders on that road I assume the driver was provoked to actually turn around and come back for them.

Makes me wonder if OP and company were the receivers of another cyclist/ runner/ exerciser's hostile reactions that lead to this event. Regardless, not acceptable in the least.

I have the right to walk up to some tribal tatted, roided up, Crossfitting, Nicci Beach local's girlfriend and start chatting to her, but I know that not all rights should be exercised as not all people are stable and rational.

off-topic but I've been wanting to go to Nicci Beach for months now and only avoiding it because of the high likelihood of ending up in a fight, provoked or not. I suppose that's exactly your point, so it worked.

Maybe not them, but maybe the driver, of both cars, had seen it happening over and over and thats what built up frustrations over time. Maybe these riders did nothing wrong, but because of other cyclists acting like twats they were assaulted. Maybe.

So I'm scooting down Steenberg road past Westlake the other day. I'm in the cyclelane doing 50km/hr (its downhill)

The offramp for the M3 is ahead and motorists have to turn left. The cycle lane cuts right through it to continue down toward Main Road Kirstenhof.

**** in an Audi with the plates "B*D*SS WP coming screaming past on my right as I get to the off ramp and turns hard left. Brushed the car with left elbow (it hurts). Driver was clearly having fun because he made eye contact and smiled just before he turned.

these deliberate acts of reckless endangerment are on the increase

Edited by DieselnDust