Riders attacked and assaulted on Jonkershoek road (13/01/2019)

JohanC

Do you live in LaLa Land?

Of course we do. On many days we are our own worst enemies.

Sure, that may be true, but...

As a car driver, how often do you personally experience problem cyclists. E.g. someone running a red light, leaning against your car, flipping you the bird, swearing at you, cutting you off, etc.

vs

As a cyclist, how often do you personally experience problem drivers? E.g. Someone brushing past you by a hair, not caring about about your hand signals and cutting you off from behind, deliberately forcing you off the road, etc.

For sure the scale is tipped towards cyclists experiencing more bad car drivers, than car drivers experiencing bad cyclists. I drive a 100km every day and cycle no more than 100km a week (in the mountain mostly), yet I can't think of a single time that I really thought a cyclist is now being a douche, but I can name a number of times I almost died on the road while cycling. I have stopped road cycling because I am tired of constantly fearing for my life. Can't say that I am afraid of cyclist costing me my life while driving.

It's a South African problem, you put one of us in a car and the aggression just gets dialed up to 11. God help you if you cross a South African driver.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not directed at me, but since I agree with PhillipV's post....

• Riding 3 abreast and then getting offended when you're hooted at
  • Expecting to be treated like a car when it's convenient, then expecting to be treated like a pedestrian when it's convenient - but completely losing you **** when a you're treated like a car when you were expecting to be treated like a pedestrian (or vice versa)
  • Not indicating with hand signals
  • Jumping lights
  • Having bad taste in socks
Don't get me wrong, I agree with many of your comments in the previous post. But the number of times I (as a cyclist) have been driving and seen some other guys on the road and thought "you flippin chop, don't ruin it for the rest of us..."

Sure I hear you but you are suggesting that 1% of the population must play nicely so that the other 99% could possibly behave.

At the end of the day waiting behind a cyclist being a tjop costs me far less than the consequences of being an arrogant aggressive tjop in a steel cage.

In this day and age, if a car cuts you up and you want to scream expletives and give the finger you should also be prepared for some serious road rage. I'm not at all saying that is what happened in this case but this is the world we live in right now.

People have gone mad

The problem has nothing to do with this or that or blah blah blah. Is has to do with the "entitlement" mentality of the people of this country. It will not end because everyone thinks their entitlement is more important than anyone else's. That's my view.

Exactly

The problem has nothing to do with this or that or blah blah blah. Is has to do with the "entitlement" mentality of the people of this country world. It will not end because everyone thinks their entitlement is more important than anyone else's. That's my view.

fixed it for you

but I agree completely with you

In this day and age, if a car cuts you up and you want to scream expletives and give the finger you should also be prepared for some serious road rage. I'm not at all saying that is what happened in this case but this is the world we live in right now.

People have gone mad

One would have hoped the ruling on smoking Weed would have calmed things down a bit? I guess not....

Amyway people need to do what my fridge does and just chill. 

One would have hoped the ruling on smoking Weed would have calmed things down a bit? I guess not....

Amyway people need to do what my fridge does and just chill. 

employers haven't updated their policy's to allow employees to take advantage of the new R&R strategy...

maybe hence the frustration and anger

The problem has nothing to do with this or that or blah blah blah. Is has to do with the "entitlement" mentality of the people of this country. It will not end because everyone thinks their entitlement is more important than anyone else's. That's my view.

Whenever I visit SA I get the feeling that cyclists want all cars to get out of their way...then when they're done cycling the same people climb into their cars and want all cyclists to get out of their way...

just looked at the video. is it safe to cycle with road bike on that stretch of the road without a shoulder land?

Stellenbosch is a cycling mad town - mtb and road. This is an old and quiet road with a 60km/h speed limit for cars. It is frequented by runners, cyclists and mountain bikers on their way to ride at Jonkershoek. It does not have a shoulder but is quite safe if motorists and cyclists behave themselves.

This cretin in the Toyota and his friends clearly have issues that need criminal treatment :-)  

Whenever I visit SA I get the feeling that cyclists want all cars to get out of their way...then when they're done cycling the same people climb into their cars and want all cyclists to get out of their way...

That's a very small percentage of the cycling community. Most cyclists just want to ride their bikes and enjoy the company of like minded people and get home safely, not via ICU at the nearest hospital.

Most motorists want everybody to get out of their way and carry this behaviour through to their cycling passtime

That's a very small percentage of the cycling community. Most cyclists just want to ride their bikes and enjoy the company of like minded people and get home safely, not via ICU at the nearest hospital.

Most motorists want everybody to get out of their way and carry this behaviour through to their cycling passtime

So nobody on thehub owns a car? We're all just cyclists? Or are we all cyclists first and foremost and just "car driving cyclists" when we're driving our cars?

I always have a cynical little giggle at hubbers slagging off "motorists" when 99.9% of hubbers are also motorists.

Ahhh maybe one day when we start taking responsibility for our own actions instead of blaming "them" for all the worlds ills...

So nobody on thehub owns a car? We're all just cyclists? Or are we all cyclists first and foremost and just "car driving cyclists" when we're driving our cars?

I always have a cynical little giggle at hubbers slagging off "motorists" when 99.9% of hubbers are also motorists.

Ahhh maybe one day when we start taking responsibility for our own actions instead of blaming "them" for all the worlds ills...

amen to that brother