Riders attacked and assaulted on Jonkershoek road (13/01/2019)

JohanC

That's what I asked for but the cops insisted on reckless driving and assault. I asked for attempted murder. We have now escalated the matter to relevant prosecutors/magistrates/provincial authorities... I am told that the courts will decide wether its attempted murder etc.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I asked for but the cops insisted on reckless driving and assault. I asked for attempted murder. We have now escalated the matter to relevant prosecutors/magistrates/provincial authorities... I am told that the courts will decide wether its attempted murder etc.

Is it possible to get the PPA involved in this case?

Is it possible to get the PPA involved in this case?

First post on this thread says they are already involved.

the assailant drew blood. It should be Assault GBH. Make sure your lawyer addresses this

The photo evidence, and eye witnesses you have should make this a slam-dunk case. I'm not sure how a lawyer could wangle him out of this.

I hope there is a wide ranging response to this.

At the same time, I am almost certain that this seemingly unprovoked attack stems from motorist/cyclist conflict. I am not victim blaming here at all, but as a group cyclists need to make sure that we behave on the roads and do our best not to give any reasons for motorists to hate us so much. This is an argus season plea, mainly about skipping red lights and pulling zaps.

I was riding along main road in Somerset West, coming from Faure side towards Waterstone Village (just after the entrance/exit onto Wannabees trails). There is a nice wide shoulder there, I was riding far left (nearly on the gravel), around 9am, roads very quiet. All of a sudden a white polo with 2 guys (looked young) swerved and nearly hits me - blowing on the hooter and throwing me the middle finger salute. Completely unprovoked, just two a**holes that thought it would be funny to scare a cyclist. I did not get plates.

I try stay off the road as much as possible for exactly this reason. On the mtb I feel like the danger I put myself in is under my control, on the road it just comes out of nowhere.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Just sorry there is no evidence to what led up to this. This is the exact reason I ride with a GoPro on my motorbike.

How to make this work?  Hit record when things get hairy?  Where do you mount it?

The photo evidence, and eye witnesses you have should make this a slam-dunk case. I'm not sure how a lawyer could wangle him out of this.

I hope there is a wide ranging response to this.

At the same time, I am almost certain that this seemingly unprovoked attack stems from motorist/cyclist conflict. I am not victim blaming here at all, but as a group cyclists need to make sure that we behave on the roads and do our best not to give any reasons for motorists to hate us so much. This is an argus season plea, mainly about skipping red lights and pulling zaps.

???

i've been in this game long enough to know that cyclists don't give motorists a reason to hate on us.

they just hate because they have to lift their foot off the throttle or concentrate just a little harder.

I believe SAFFA motorists will welcome driverless cars because they don't have to ever look up from their phones and forego their attempt at highest score on Candy Crush.

SAFFAS hate anyone who isn't like their idea of a SAFFA.

Drive a hatchback when guy driving behind you is in a Fortuna... You be hated man cos you pesky little worm in a woman's car.

Drive a hyundai slowly in front of a beemer? You be hated because its not German and you should yield the road to them you snivelling little worm

Llucks.... If you drink Amstel when everyne else is drinking craft beer you won't be invited that paaatay ever again.

SAFFAS just need to get over themselves.

???

i've been in this game long enough to know that cyclists don't give motorists a reason to hate on us.

they just hate because they have to lift their foot off the throttle or concentrate just a little harder.

I believe SAFFA motorists will welcome driverless cars because they don't have to ever look up from their phones and forego their attempt at highest score on Candy Crush.

SAFFAS hate anyone who isn't like their idea of a SAFFA.

Drive a hatchback when guy driving behind you is in a Fortuna... You be hated man cos you pesky little worm in a woman's car.

Drive a hyundai slowly in front of a beemer? You be hated because its not German and you should yield the road to them you snivelling little worm

Llucks.... If you drink Amstel when everyne else is drinking craft beer GIN you won't be invited that paaatay ever again.

SAFFAS just need to get over themselves.

#craftbeerissolastyear

how so?

Drivers don't NEED a reason to hate cyclists, sure I concur. But dam sometimes cyclists can be peophols. Riding 3 abreast, riding in the road when there is a BIG shoulder, running reds in peak traffic, cutting in front of drivers, being rude, leaning against a car at a red light, the list goes on.

I agree with everything in your previous post. But the same applies to cyclists hating motorists just cause they can.

how so?

Not directed at me, but since I agree with PhillipV's post....

• Riding 3 abreast and then getting offended when you're hooted at
  • Expecting to be treated like a car when it's convenient, then expecting to be treated like a pedestrian when it's convenient - but completely losing you **** when a you're treated like a car when you were expecting to be treated like a pedestrian (or vice versa)
  • Not indicating with hand signals
  • Jumping lights
  • Having bad taste in socks

Don't get me wrong, I agree with many of your comments in the previous post. But the number of times I (as a cyclist) have been driving and seen some other guys on the road and thought "you flippin chop, don't ruin it for the rest of us..."

Drivers don't NEED a reason to hate cyclists, sure I concur. But dam sometimes cyclists can be peophols. Riding 3 abreast, riding in the road when there is a BIG shoulder, running reds in peak traffic, cutting in front of drivers, being rude, leaning against a car at a red light, the list goes on.

I agree with everything in your previous post. But the same applies to cyclists hating motorists just cause they can.

Uncanny

BeeJay just a friendly hint from a retired attorney now bicycle mechie. . Try and refrain from " giving evidence " on an open forum . Your day in Court will come and your memory will be tested . Good luck