Riders attacked and assaulted on Jonkershoek road (13/01/2019)

JohanC

Bit scarey how everyone glosses over the assault to discuss how they may or may not have been cycling as though trying to explain the assault. If someone broke into your house and stole your belongings you wouldn't ponder over the socioeconomic conditions that led to that..you would discuss the crime. Regardless of everything a criminal assault took place here and this should be foremost in the discussion

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit scarey how everyone glosses over the assault to discuss how they may or may not have been cycling as though trying to explain the assault. If someone broke into your house and stole your belongings you wouldn't ponder over the socioeconomic conditions that led to that..you would discuss the crime. Regardless of everything a criminal assault took place here and this should be foremost in the discussion

Im am 99% sure that everybody here is very much aligned that an assault is not acceptable and that the driver must face the consequences. Charge has been laid, evidence submitted...

What else should we discuss about it?

We can discuss how to prevent more of these though.

Edited by Patchelicious

It's largely irrelevant to this thread but please find the law that says that... As far as I am aware you are incorrect. The area within the yellow line serves a specific purpose and it is actually illegal to cycle in it (if the law is applied correctly which it isn't in practice).

You are correct, it is actually illegal to ride in the yellow full stop. 

Im am 99% sure that everybody here is very much aligned that an assault is not acceptable and that the driver must face the consequences. Charge has been laid, evidence submitted...

We need to turn this topic into an argument about the law and riding 2 abreast.

Then we need to add a layer of victim blaming.

Then we a few guys need to get personal and go on the attack/be offended.

Somewhere in between all that, we need to assume what happened before and after the event without being there.

Still got plenty to cover and it's only Monday!

Shocking. I have never felt the need to run a cyclist/runner/pedestrian over or get out and bliksem them to prove a point (although it was pretty close that one time I drove past my high school math teacher).

Some people are just ignorant, careless and violent. The sooner you learn we share this planet with them the better your own chances of survival. It won't help to shout profanities at them, it won't help to assume that everyone follows the rules, and it won't help to hope that they value your life.

I have ridden the road into Jonkers countless times. Every time I wonder, why can't the municipality build a proper cycling/running lane all the way to the Jonkershoek gate at the end? With the number of cyclists on that road over the weekends along with all the blind corners it is getting pretty dangerous there for cars and cyclists alike.

Another car stopped and 3 more assisted to assault the cyclists.?

WTF.!

Suspect there must be a whole lot more to this story.

As for laws of the road, know them well but ultimately do what you must to be safe.

Edited by Thomo

Fair point Patch

There is certainly a lot more to it than just the habits of cyclists. For one the lack of proactive traffic policing contributes significantly to the overall tension and ultimately road rage of individual cyclists so motorists take their frustration out on "easy" targets. 

Me and my wife was cycling to Hels and back on Saturday, and past Coetzenburg came across a group of very slow cyclists across the whole road on both sides, such that we had to squeeze through their group in order to pass them. I can only imagine what would have happened when a car approached them.

Edited by Moridin

for anyone's action, there is a valid reason... but what on earth goes through a person's mind that this is the solution to the current problem? This is madness. I hope the healing, both physically and psychologically, is speedy

So I'm scooting down Steenberg road past Westlake the other day. I'm in the cyclelane doing 50km/hr (its downhill)

The offramp for the M3 is ahead and motorists have to turn left. The cycle lane cuts right through it to continue down toward Main Road Kirstenhof.

**** in an Audi with the plates "B*D*SS WP coming screaming past on my right as I get to the off ramp and turns hard right. Brushed the car with left elbow (it hurts). Driver was clearly having fun because he made eye contact and smiled just before he turned.

these deliberate acts of reckless endangerment are on the increase

You mean he turned hard left?

I'm not sure if you're reffering to the off ramp or the on-ramp.

I look at that section of cycle lane, and the both the on and offramp looks like an accident waiting to happen. especially early morning coming from oukaaps side with sun in your eyes a driver will just plough through you.

If you are side by side in the yellow lane you not on the roadway and can ride like that.

Cyclist are required to be as far left on the ROADWAY as they feel safe. Roadway is from Middle to Yellow line

:offtopic: