What do you look for in a bike shop?

Jimmy 2.0

Competitive pricing, does not have to be the cheapest, but my pet peeve is dropping a bike at a bikeshop, explaining in detail what needs to be done and whats wrong, and then getting the bike back after paying for the service, and its either done half, or not done at all.

I dont want free coffee, if i wanted coffee i would have gone to a coffee shop.

Also good advice and honesty goes a long way!

Or ur bike goes in for a major  service. You get it back and the fine tuning on the gears is just horrible 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am quite easy on what I want:

1. Knowledgeable staff/mechanics... I am relatively new to the MTB scene, so I am learning alot very quickly. I want to lose it when the sales staff know less than what I do about a product, but bash the crap out of it to sell me the more expensive other option for said part "because high cost = high quality. 
  2. A variety of tools and the option of oredering if they don't have
  3. Feedback on ordered parts, even if it is a cheaper alternative that what they have stock on in store.
  4. Rule number 1: dont be a d@@s

There is a plethora of LBS in my area along wth the bigger chain stores, yet I continually go to the same small one even though they tend to be a bit more expensive solely due to their friendliness and knowledge.  

When did coffee become such a massive thing?

It definitely wasn't a pre-requisite to being a good (insert a non related store here) a few years ago.

Has everyone been Jaegermeistered and Bird Boxed into believing that the consumption of coffee is good, caffeine is the answer to unposed questions and without it you simply can't enjoy life?

The coffee revolution is a bit ridiculous... 

No, that's bacon.....

Sending my bike to my LBS is like sending my child to creche. I don't go around looking for the cheapest place, but rather the place that knows what they're doing, are friendly, and will take care of my bike. This lump of carbon, metal, rubber and plastic means a lot to me

I'm blessed to have a LBS that fits all the above criteria not to mention being great cyclists and riding mates. They've earned my trust and I know that whatever they're doing, they're doing their best (which coincidentally is THE best).

Don't skimp on your LBS, their knowledge is what you're paying for and they're trying to earn a living too

That they know how to use a torque wrench. Pretty rare these days.

I was at local shop the other day where the person behind the counter didn’t know what a torque wrench was.

Me: I’m looking for a small torque wrench.

Counter dude: Yes we have allen keys.

I have no words beyond that point. Being friendly only goes so far, I’d rather deal with a complete a$$hole so long as they know what they’re doing.

I was at local shop the other day where the person behind the counter didn’t know what a torque wrench was.

Me: I’m looking for a small torque wrench.

Counter dude: Yes we have allen keys.

I have no words beyond that point. Being friendly only goes so far, I’d rather deal with a complete a$$hole so long as they know what they’re doing.

And it doesn't help to explain what a torque wrench is either.

We were talking about pressure gauges in another thread .... some good feedback on the Topeak product.

Despite having such a wide selection of cycling shops in Bellville, you need to order it online ....

Last Friday we drove through Worcester and I stopped at KING CYCLES.  JIP !! They have a Topeak pressure gauge.  :clap:   :clap:   AND R150 cheaper than the online stores !!  :eek:

I just LOVE King Cycles !!!!  Becoming a habit to do my window shopping here, and then to do my purchases in Worcester ....

* Don't imply my bike is outdated and crap if it is not out of the 2018/19 cookie cutter catalogue...

i will hurt you right back in any way I see fit :ph34r:   :whistling:

Ran in at Mark's today.

BADLY buckeled front wheel ....

Can it be fixed ?  No ....

CHEAPEST replacement rim ? (fixing a commuter for somebody on a TIGHT budget) ....  They walk over and take a rim off the shelf.

NICE to be able to go to a shop and get good service, even when it is a very cheap item !

AND equally nice to get fast service when on the run to the next work site ...

Or ur bike goes in for a major  service. You get it back and the fine tuning on the gears is just horrible 

or even if your bike goes in for gear fine tuning only, but you get it back and the chain drops consistently while testing it in the front yard and the granny grinds like when you get too close to a coastal cockroach!

What I want are the shoes I ordered in November 2018. Some Giro shoes so google the supplier here in s.a. The LBS said the supplier will bring them in on the last shipment for 2018. It's Feb 2019 and now no one knows Jack. I was asked this morning if I still want them.....if so it will be another month. WTF.... Some advice to LBS's and suppliers/importers/distributors if this is service then don't bitch and moan and cry when your business goes belly up. The man on the street can now shop online and ship within 7 to 10 days to his door. Why wait 3 to 4 months for k@k service