Poor service CWC

Serhan

Actually, that's why I asked you. If I assumed anything, I would have just said it straight.

Nevertheless, I just checked my own stats, my current drivetrain is on just over 2000km and its on its way out, so you're 1800 is sort of decent. I was on my second set of pivots before I cracked the frame (3years old, 3000km,) second BB, original headset and second seatpost. Many many brake pads and tyres.

So maybe the shop wasn't out of line when they recommended new bearings and drivetrain components. It's pretty easy to spot a tired cassette and chain ring.

They probably didn't manage your expectations well, and maybe they reacted wrong. But I doubt that you are blameless in this.

Sometimes moving on from a shop is the right thing to do, and sometimes closing a client's account is the right thing to do. To be honest, I reckon you and cycle lab will both be better off if you don't go back to them. It isn't personal, it's business.

2000 km per drivetrain is quite low and can get pretty expensive. I average about 2500 - 3500 per chain, and 8000 - 9000 per cassette.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My story is too long and I don't have enough time to type it. Do yourselves a favour when dealing with this shop. Don't. Use another LBS instead. But if u absolutely have to don't deal with Glenn in the workshop. Ask for someone else. Then take a video of your bike, take it for a spin to know what is actually wrong then take some pics and also know exactly what was done on it and when it was done, prior to them working on it. They will try to rip u off and if you like me you will *** them out for attempting to bullsh*t you then they'll sabotage your bike to the point where you can't ride it properly.

The Oom is nice but that's as far as it goes. The shop staff are the unfriendliest bunch of retail sales people I've ever come across and I certainly won't support them anymore. Will use their competitive pricing by purchasing the product from another willing retailer instead!

My story is too long and I don't have enough time to type it. Do yourselves a favour when dealing with this shop. Don't. Use another LBS instead. But if u absolutely have to don't deal with Glenn in the workshop. Ask for someone else. Then take a video of your bike, take it for a spin to know what is actually wrong then take some pics and also know exactly what was done on it and when it was done, prior to them working on it. They will try to rip u off and if you like me you will *** them out for attempting to bullsh*t you then they'll sabotage your bike to the point where you can't ride it properly.

The Oom is nice but that's as far as it goes. The shop staff are the unfriendliest bunch of retail sales people I've ever come across and I certainly won't support them anymore. Will use their competitive pricing by purchasing the product from another willing retailer instead!

:whistling: hooo boy....que the call for DETAILS

Separate Issue.

My MTB rear wheel was giving me trouble. Took the bike in.

The Mechanic tells me that the Freebody is stripped and can't be repaired / replaced.

You Need a new Hub.

But your wheel is a 28 Spoke?, Can't find Spares?,

(Mechanic can't Count), ACTUALLY 32spoke!

Tried to Sell me a new Wheel???

Really?

When incentives don’t correspond to client requirements.

Separate Issue.

My MTB rear wheel was giving me trouble. Took the bike in.

The Mechanic tells me that the Freebody is stripped and can't be repaired / replaced.

You Need a new Hub.

But your wheel is a 28 Spoke?, Can't find Spares?,

(Mechanic can't Count), ACTUALLY 32spoke!

Tried to Sell me a new Wheel???

Really?

yeah sounds like standard operating procedure

2000 km per drivetrain is quite low and can get pretty expensive. I average about 2500 - 3500 per chain, and 8000 - 9000 per cassette.

Are we talking road or mtb. I would guess road is easier on the drivetrains. Mtb is high torque in uber muddy/dusty conditions with tiny front chainrings at not so chain friendly chain line angles given the short chain stays and wide cassettes of mtb. I have never really killed my commuters chain in one year... Where my mechanic already hates what I do to my mtb drivetrains despite it seeing one fith of the distance.

When incentives don’t correspond to client requirements.

This.

Ive never investigated SA law, but I know that in the UK its illegal for technicians to be incentivised on sales from parts and services... Its supposed to stop the BSing on what's actually wrong... Would love to know how So many businesses technical staff are incentivised...

Are we talking road or mtb. I would guess road is easier on the drivetrains. Mtb is high torque in uber muddy/dusty conditions with tiny front chainrings at not so chain friendly chain line angles given the short chain stays and wide cassettes of mtb. I have never really killed my commuters chain in one year... Where my mechanic already hates what I do to my mtb drivetrains despite it seeing one fith of the distance.

Jip..Hence why i told cycle lab to take that into account. Like the 90 road of cycle chalange, commute to work and back of around 16km one way etc

But you can read their response and see they are “right”

Edited by Fjp1980

:offtopic:

Most interesting to read this part of the reply ....

Having bought a SCOTT from a DIFFERENT dealer about 6 months ago I find this part of the reply VERY interesting ... :eek: :eek:

YES, the option of a free checkup was made - certainly NOT a compulsory thing. My bike did go back about 2 months after the purchase, for a small technical item, which was sorted out while I waited.

Once again I was told of the requirement for an ANNUAL service.

I have since spoken to two different SCOTT service centres closer to home, once again only told to ensure the ANNUAL service is done.

:offtopic:

Okay - back on topic ..... so even if the owner did not stick to the service schedule - why would a service take 6 days .... seems like another story where we will never hear the complete version ....

Even if this was the only service it was done at 9 months so....

Actually, that's why I asked you. If I assumed anything, I would have just said it straight.

Nevertheless, I just checked my own stats, my current drivetrain is on just over 2000km and its on its way out, so you're 1800 is sort of decent. I was on my second set of pivots before I cracked the frame (3years old, 3000km,) second BB, original headset and second seatpost. Many many brake pads and tyres.

So maybe the shop wasn't out of line when they recommended new bearings and drivetrain components. It's pretty easy to spot a tired cassette and chain ring.

They probably didn't manage your expectations well, and maybe they reacted wrong. But I doubt that you are blameless in this.

Sometimes moving on from a shop is the right thing to do, and sometimes closing a client's account is the right thing to do. To be honest, I reckon you and cycle lab will both be better off if you don't go back to them. It isn't personal, it's business.

Isn’t personal its business ?

Well i and people like me buying expensive bikes and parts is their business.

So yes will not buy from them anymore and will tell everyone that ask me to skip them, and i get asked often.

I don't , know why you are all knocking Cycle Lab as I think they are a great little shop, with knowledgeable and passionate staff who treat newby riders with patience and respect.

When I wanted to get back into cycling I went to their small shop in Witkoppen rd, Paulshof to check out this whole cycling thing.

The salesman spent time chatting to me about my sporting background to try and gauge my potential, showed me around to get me best bang for my buck and told me that if the bug bit, I'd surely want to upgrade but it wasn't necessary to  blow the budget straight away. He was knowledgeable without being superior and was absolutely focused on me getting the right bike in the right size and at the right price for me.

It epitomised personal and personalised service.

We ultimately settled on a lovely (albeit bottom of the range Aluminum)  De Rosa frame, Mavic Helium wheels and a 9 speed Campag Daytona group set and I was invited to join the sales guy and some of his mates for a ride out to Sun City in a few weeks time.

I seem to remember the guy's name was Andrew and thought that he would go far. I sometimes wonder what happened to him in the intervening 20 years..

SNIP

Wynand, who was attending to you and who is one of our most experienced workshop staff members, quickly discovered, through his experience, that your bike’s drivetrain was worn to the point that it would require replacement in order to function efficiently. This can be seen by an experienced eye (wear on the chainring and cassette teeth as well as elongation/sag of the chain) as well as with confirmation of the chain-measuring tool. He also noticed it would need new bearings based on the creaking noise it made when pressure was placed on the pedal while the bike was stationary.

SNIP

I call BS on this. 

You can not tell by looking at a cassette if it is going to slip when you put a new chain on. Unless it is THAT worn. If it is then post the pics please.

Also, creaking noise does (Edit) not = NEW Bearings

Edited by Quagga